Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #166
jamey1977

This Game Is Beatable

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet52
Well she should have taught you to recognize a junkie then too. Addicts don't need to be encouraged to continue their addiction. It's just a death spiral.
How are we going to find a job, when there are no jobs? We are stuck with this business. Profit or be homeless. My conclusions. Screw Exotics. Patrick, you must bet to win. Read Dick Mitchell, everyone's goal.. Should be 25 percent winners at a 10 dollar average. Have 2 business accounts. Get the money, or find a job and save until they lay you off. Get Two . 5000 dollar business accounts... 150 dollars to win. Your goal should be 25 percent winners at a 10 dollar average. You have money for 35 official win plays. Bets are 60 to 70 a month. Now the goal is to get 25 percent winners at a 10 dollar average. If at the end of the month if you don't reach the hit rate and the dollar rate. You have to borrow from your second account and when you achieve the hit rate. Pay the money you borrowed back into the second business account. Many do this. I do it myself. My hit rate is 20 percent wins at a 16 dollar average. Waiting and waiting but I will achieve the rate eventually. Bets must be conserved. This can be done. It takes willpower, and persistence. The losing streaks stink. I never go 0 for 35 and tap out. The most I lost was 15, that was awful. A 18.60 followed by a 10 dollar and then 3 races later a 22.80. Brought that losing streak to an end. Peaks and Valleys but it can be done. Get those 2 Business accounts. Read Dick Mitchell
Old 06-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #167
Trotman
Veteran

As Paceadvantage said this thread is a very good one and I will have to second his thoughts, you're not listening. Get your life in order as all else is secondary. This thread has also brought out IMO a lot of BS from some.
Trotman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #168
pktruckdriver
Sunny Daytona Beach

Football man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie
Patrick--
Do you realize it probably has been a year since I said "get a dog, get out of the truck and walk your dog"? If you had heeded that advice, you probably would be about 50-60 lbs slimmer already....think about that. Time is not about to stop. The decisions you make right now, today, and start to act on them right now, today, will impact your future.

Ohhh and P.S.---what the hell do you need a TV for? Take a walk!!
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #169
Trotman
Veteran

Well Jamey1977 I can tell you read Dick Mitchell and then offered it up to all of us verbatim like redboarding
Trotman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #170
ddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktruckdriver
Football man

When you become a pro you will not have time for much football.

You will be working on record keeping and going back over your previous bets and looking at the races for the upcoming week and and and.........it's more WORK than you have done from reading your posts.

Maybe a Monday niter, but use a sports bar for that.

You have a better shot day trading you can get a gamblers rush from that.

Last edited by ddog; 06-27-2010 at 08:10 PM.
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #171
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey1977
How are we going to find a job, when there are no jobs? We are stuck with this business. Profit or be homeless. My conclusions. Screw Exotics. Patrick, you must bet to win. Read Dick Mitchell, everyone's goal.. Should be 25 percent winners at a 10 dollar average. Have 2 business accounts. Get the money, or find a job and save until they lay you off. Get Two . 5000 dollar business accounts... 150 dollars to win. Your goal should be 25 percent winners at a 10 dollar average. You have money for 35 official win plays. Bets are 60 to 70 a month. Now the goal is to get 25 percent winners at a 10 dollar average. If at the end of the month if you don't reach the hit rate and the dollar rate. You have to borrow from your second account and when you achieve the hit rate. Pay the money you borrowed back into the second business account. Many do this. I do it myself. My hit rate is 20 percent wins at a 16 dollar average. Waiting and waiting but I will achieve the rate eventually. Bets must be conserved. This can be done. It takes willpower, and persistence. The losing streaks stink. I never go 0 for 35 and tap out. The most I lost was 15, that was awful. A 18.60 followed by a 10 dollar and then 3 races later a 22.80. Brought that losing streak to an end. Peaks and Valleys but it can be done. Get those 2 Business accounts. Read Dick Mitchell
I'm inspired now. My personal goal is a 40% hit rate and a $21.80 average mutuel.

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #172
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplayersbet.com
I'm inspired now. My personal goal is a 40% hit rate and a $21.80 average mutuel.
Don't forget to read Dick Mitchell!
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #173
ddog

Mitchell's advice would be to not play.
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2010, 05:07 AM   #174
Nitro

Patrick many on this thread seem to be under the impression that you might be able to reach your goals by following all the grandiose advice that’s being thrown at you. Others of course would have you give up your quest entirely. Do you think for a minute that your personal goals are unique? There are many players out there that have come to grips with the realization that they just can’t keep up with all of important information that's necessary to make profitable decisions in this game.

Most here would have you believe that in order to succeed, you have make all of your own selection decisions and of course bet on them in some profitable manner. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Of course your ego might be somewhat deflated just because you didn’t make the selection yourself, but who cares? The fact is that any selection (or selections) no matter where it’s derived if played in a relatively smart fashion can produce a consistent and substantial profit.

So if you really enjoy playing this game, but can’t seem to get past your own personal weaknesses, then my suggestion would be to first find a good source of reliable information. Forget about making the selections yourself! Focus on just playing the selections properly. Do you think this is the only game in town where others might have more plausible and substantially better information then you can assimilate?

From a practical point of view I assume that as a truck driver you probably know how to get from point A to point B. But what happens if you motor breaks down or if you run out of diesel fuel? Are you that self-sufficient where you can repair that motor on the fly or pull some fuel out of thin air? Why do you suppose Google is so popular? It allows people who aren’t proficient in all disciplines to get reasonably good advice. Yes, FROM OTHERS!

Sure the prevailing philosophy here is that the player should be doing everything on his own. You know self-sufficiency: the ego trip. But keep in mind you’re betting against others who just might have more insight into this game. So if you can’t beat them, then why not just join them?

I’m sure some here will be looking for me to propose these information sources, so that I can be accused and ridiculed of spamming. But don’t hold your breath waiting for that. They’re out there and all you have to do is look, see what they have to offer, check them out for yourself, and make a decision. It’s that simple!

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by Nitro; 06-28-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Nitro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #175
Beetlebomb

GO PK

I love this thread. It's all about hopes, passions, dreams etc. Whether realistic or not, it's nice to try and have hope. My wish for Patrick is that he keep his dream alive and go for it on whatever level he can and whenever he can. And kudos to Pace for allowing this thread to develop - lots of interesting reading here. Good luck Patrick!
Beetlebomb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #176
michiken

A Different Strategy?

Patrick,

How about testing the waters with a very simple SPOT PLAY approach?

1. Keep working the 10-12 hour days because the main goal is to provide food and shelter for yourself!

2. Play only ONE race per day! Use this as a stepping stone to supplement your income or grow your bankroll. Make a simple $5, 10 or 20 win or place bet at on a horse that you think will go off at reasonable odds (that YOU define within your comfort zone). It doesn't matter if the horse only pays $3.80....

3. Submit your bet thru your ADW so you won't be tempted to bet back if you win. Fund your account with a small deposit say $50 to $100. Do not go to the track or even worry about the race while you are working. Key your bet in before you go to work.

4. Maybe test yourself out for say 4 weeks. You could even post your pick as as Patricks Spot Play Of the Day so the members of this board could watch your progress and hopefully cheer you on.

5. Your goal would simply define yourself as a winning player. Since you have already commited to staying near Saratoga, time would be on your side, you have other priorities than jumping all in.

6. Once you become a winning player, make sure to TAKE PROFIT OUT to supplement your income!

7. Not only would this method teach you discipline, it could be easier on your psyche because you won't be 'ALL IN' from the start. Baby Steps 1st!

Last edited by michiken; 06-28-2010 at 05:41 PM.
michiken is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #177
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktruckdriver
Again same thing, Thank you Donnie, and you're right I could go further down , but will not ,as I do have a plan in place, and it involves Saratoga and staying here for awhile, who knows maybe for years , but at least a year or so, and not to play the horses for a living either, but to tackle another more important issue my health, and while doing that take what I learned this summer and last sumeer and all the advice I got here and try to formulate a plan to procced if I ever get in a position to do so, but for me this dream will always be there, the passion and desire to be the best at this will always be,(funny how that sounds, but it is true, my desire to be Daily Racing Form/NTRA Champion one day), and my pursuit of it will be be never-ending.

For those asking how I plan to get healty and get surgery and such, please do not let it worry you, unless you're a Docotor , just kidding, I will be fine and manage just fine, ok.

PS could use a Dining Room table, TV and easy chair, but the adivec here on the board again has been heartfelt and appreciated , one and all, thank you.

Patrick
PK, I have had a change of heart.....
Well actually not a "change" as I have always tried to give you the best advice. But, in hindsight, I maybe have been a little harsh. So hopefully, I can rectify that with this post.

You seem to me to be a man of BIG dreams. And to stay with that motto...screw the table, T.V, easy chair..(things you've been asking for. Why do we need those things? Hell ask for money...it will serve ya better in the long run.

You mentioned you had about 900 dollars. Well from everything I have read on here in people's advice as well as in most books, this game seems to be about the "grind", the long patient effort in hard work and discipline. BUT WHY?? Who likes the grinds?? That in itself can be disheartening earning a mere 10% weekly. Lets face it, you are so MUCH BETTER then 90 dollars a week in earnings for the effort and time you put it.

So here's the plan....(taken from the spot plays above). I really like the spot play approach alot better. Just one race a day. Do the needed homework. Find that ONE race where the favorite is weak. There may be multiple races but if ya pay attention long enough (jock's , trainers, connections, etc..you will find that ONE play. ML might look something between 7-1 and 10-1).

You've done your home work and you know this is the one.
LAY IT ALL ON THE NOSE!!!!!
(minus of course a drink or two during that exciting two minutes)....
BAM you walk with 6300 or so. Thats so much more intriguing then a day to day grind for 10% Not too mention looking and studying every race for an entire card or week...ughhh. Who wants to do that much work?? I certainly don't.

You probably think at this point I am be sarcastic...seriously Pat, I am NOT.
We ALL will die sometime and you are in a pposition I couldnt think of being. Acoording to your words, you've hit bottom! So what else is there?? While the rest of us slugs fight to maintain, you have the luxury of no worries at this point.

I say go for it sir!!! Not only do alot of us dream about being able to play uninhibited, then we have to dream about the play. You already have one side of that down. Now its just the play for you....

Go BIG sir! Ohhh how sweet to take down one race and nail that 7-1 with almost a grand on the nose!!!

And if ya prefer an exotic....lets go even bigger!!! That way you can feel a little more comfortable without tossing the favorite in the above win bet.

Lets find an EXACTA, TRI, SUPER, whatever you feel like. Hell we only live once...

My only suggestion is too forget the grind part. It way to taxing mentally not too mention the time spent in a long grind can wear the best of us down. Who wants to win 10% over a long period. I say lets win 700% (minus taxes which based on your finances you wont even have to pay).

then afterwards...treat yourself to a nice big steak, maybe a cigar, drink....who knows.
Then ya take your original 900 out, and in one day WHAMMO...

In case you think im be sarcastic Pat, feel free to PM me....

I apologize openly for all of my previous post (even if at THAT time) I may of thought it to be right. But what the hell do I know...then or now for that matter. GO BIG BROTHER and enjoy the moment. I truly am envious...
Sincerely Paul
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #178
shouldacoulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Don't forget to read Dick Mitchell!
Thanks to whoever mentioned this book first (common sense). I took it out of the library. Very interesting intro and first chapter so far.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #179
WinterTriangle

PTtruckdriver, I saw this today and thought it the perfect thing to post to you.

I can't judge whether your "dream" is rational or foolhardy, as I realized that would make me your judge, which nobody can be. You will learn by either your success, or failure, in this endeavor. That is the important part.

But here is the poem:

The dangerous people are not the ones
Who hit you with clubs or rob you with guns;
The thief won't attack your character traits
Or belittle your abilities to your face.
It's likely to be a 'well-meaning' friend
Who merely crushes your will to win.
No, he doesn't rob you at the point of a gun -
He simply says: "It can't be done!"
When pointing to thousands who already are
He smiles and says: "Oh they're superior"
It matters not that his words are untrue,
For you feel others must know you.
So you're robbed of your dreams, your hopes to succeed,
Robbed of material blessings received,
Robbed of your faith that says "I can!",
And robbed by an ignorant gunless friend.
So the deadliest of men is not he with the gun,
But the one who tells you it can't be done -
For that taken by burglars can be gotten again,
But who can replace your will to win?
~Anonymous~

I think it say a lot about a lot of things.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #180
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterTriangle
PTtruckdriver, I saw this today and thought it the perfect thing to post to you.

I can't judge whether your "dream" is rational or foolhardy, as I realized that would make me your judge, which nobody can be. You will learn by either your success, or failure, in this endeavor. That is the important part.

But here is the poem:

The dangerous people are not the ones

Who hit you with clubs or rob you with guns;
The thief won't attack your character traits
Or belittle your abilities to your face.
It's likely to be a 'well-meaning' friend
Who merely crushes your will to win.
No, he doesn't rob you at the point of a gun -
He simply says: "It can't be done!"
When pointing to thousands who already are
He smiles and says: "Oh they're superior"
It matters not that his words are untrue,
For you feel others must know you.
So you're robbed of your dreams, your hopes to succeed,
Robbed of material blessings received,
Robbed of your faith that says "I can!",
And robbed by an ignorant gunless friend.
So the deadliest of men is not he with the gun,
But the one who tells you it can't be done -
For that taken by burglars can be gotten again,
But who can replace your will to win?

~Anonymous~

I think it say a lot about a lot of things.
The problem, of course, is that...in THIS case, we cannot point to the "thousands" that are already doing what Patrick is attempting to do...
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply