Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 11:35 PM   #91
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
I really have never heard harness discussed except in that old interview with Dana Parham that was on YouTube at one time.
Got ya. Interesting to hear nonetheless. As I said, given my very limited experience trying to build not only a model but the infrastructure as well, I wouldn't be surprised if all big teams are in all markets and racing types (harness, thoroughbred, dogs). Hadn't heard about Dana until this thread. By my count, in the US, the teams I've heard about now are: Benter, Dana Parham, Don Johnson (lol), and Zeljko...
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #92
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
Bottom line, what we have today, vs what is EASILY achieved with todays technology , are light years apart.

Not sure who to blame, but they have done a lousy job up till now.

CHRB has put out for public comment a 5 second rule

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/t...of-final-odds/

"The Board approved for 45-day public notice a proposed regulatory amendment requiring final odds to be posted on all displays within five seconds of the close of wagering for any race. Executive Director Baedeker reported that odds continue to change after the start of races, which causes some players to question the integrity of the wagering. The problem is due to the time it takes for wagers placed very close to the start to be processed. He said it would be up to the racing industry to determine the best way to meet this five-second goal."

will be interesting how Santa Anita and other California tracks react to this proposed rule.

CRW wagering will have to be restricted. Otherwise how can they batch bets and post FINAL odds in the 5 seconds window.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #93
Gorrex

That has no effect on CRW or any other bettor. All wagers are made prior to post time at all times today.

What it will effect is how quickly totes must calculate and transmit their final data.

When you bet on a track that track does not know your wager or even the amount of your wager unless you bet at their track. All they know is the total dollar amount bet by each outlet (or even group of outlets). It isn't the bets coming in late... It's the summarization of the bets.

Jason Martin
IT Director
AmWest Entertainment - AmWager
Gorrex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #94
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorrex View Post
That has no effect on CRW or any other bettor. All wagers are made prior to post time at all times today.

What it will effect is how quickly totes must calculate and transmit their final data.

When you bet on a track that track does not know your wager or even the amount of your wager unless you bet at their track. All they know is the total dollar amount bet by each outlet (or even group of outlets). It isn't the bets coming in late... It's the summarization of the bets.

The final odds have to be posted 5 seconds after the wagering is closed.

How is that possible given your 30 second post earlier in the thread?

How can they do this?

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #95
Gorrex

That is the million dollar question..

It's not impossible and they have been moving towards shorter cycles for a while. Hong Kong runs very weird cycle patterns that already achieves much better accuracy (honestly not sure what the trigger is). Some have been experimenting with minor cycles (Win odds only, under X MTP, every 5 seconds) not sure how thats going but its the right direction at least.

Everyone everywhere realizes its a major issue, I'm not sure how long until we see a "standard" fix though.

In the end though past post wagering really is all but extinct and has been for a long time. Its just the perception of it now.

Jason Martin
IT Director
Old 10-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #96
Gorrex

Oh and a comment that I think applies well to most of our industry...

Everyone is afraid of transparency in this industry, afraid they might look bad. Almost always that means the perception of the problem is far worse than the actual problem.

That also means there are even decision makers in our industry that don't actually know the true state of it as they too can have false perceptions.

I think some of those walls are coming down now and hope they continue to.

Jason Martin
IT Director

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: