Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #76
delsully
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter
Noisy Gun Runner: It was most noticeable in his workout, but the Louisiana Derby winner breathes louder than most horses when moving. Jockey Florent Geroux says he's always been that way. "If it was something new, it would be concerning," Geroux said.

maybe he's a smoker.
I hope it's medicinal!
delsully is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #77
bobbyt62

gallop out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
talent and style put him in the mix in just about every race.

can stalk the pace and take 1st run on the leaders.

can't make it through the stretch without switching to the (wrong) left lead.

His gallop out wasn't pretty in the La. Derby.

flaws raise valid questions about 10 Furlongs Grade 1.

record is inflated because of some good trips (most of which he made with his style).

layoff looks like a positive for him.

has trained well up to the derby staying on the proper leads so far.

style helps if Derby develops as projected.

Firing Line got a similar type of dream trip last year and also failed to change leads, yet almost beat American Pharaoh and his worse trip/off-race. I don't think Gun Runner is a toss. Wouldn't surprise me if he contends or finishes off the board.
.....can you elaborate on gr's gallop out ? what happened or was observed ? i hear a lot about gallop outs , but i've never been able to ask ? whats good..whats bad..? what did gr display that was not pretty ? what should he have displayed ? thanks in advance , if you have the time to answer ...
bobbyt62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #78
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt62
.....can you elaborate on gr's gallop out ? what happened or was observed ? i hear a lot about gallop outs , but i've never been able to ask ? whats good..whats bad..? what did gr display that was not pretty ? what should he have displayed ? thanks in advance , if you have the time to answer ...
It was tough to see in the Louisiana Derby but it wasn't a pretty gallop out to my eye.

It looked like Gun Runner may have switched the wrong(right) lead, or may have simply shortened stride.

You'd prefer the horse be on the right lead through the stretch, and then switch to the left lead on the turn.

The effort the horse just gave in the race and the degree to which the jock is pulling up the horse affect the gallop out a lot.

Preferably you'd like to see the horse full of run and almost seem to 'get a 2nd wind' as he gallops out.

good comparison is Nyquist Florida Derby vs. Gun Runner Louisiana Derby.
Both switched to the wrong(left) lead mid-stretch. Nyquist however, galloped out very well.

Footwork has been an issue for GR. It's been a habit for Gun Runner to go left-lead in the stretch, but it's a positive sign that he's stayed righty in his workouts thus far.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 04-28-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #79
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt62

From what the clickers & everyone else us saying from GR's workouts, they've fixed the lead change problems & his gallop outs are strong & this horse is coming into his own.

Wait & read about his last workout on Monday, this horse had 6 weeks off for a reason, Asmussen knows what this horse is capable of, & he's been working with him for 6 weeks, this horse is getting better & better.
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #80
Grits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzbj...ature=youtu.be
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #81
Huddy Goodjob

Quote:
It was tough to see in the Louisiana Derby but it wasn't a pretty gallop out to my eye.

It looked like Gun Runner may have switched the wrong(right) lead, or may have simply shortened stride.

You'd prefer the horse be on the right lead through the stretch, and then switch to the left lead on the turn.

The effort the horse just gave in the race and the degree to which the jock is pulling up the horse affect the gallop out a lot.

Preferably you'd like to see the horse full of run and almost seem to 'get a 2nd wind' as he gallops out.

good comparison is Nyquist Florida Derby vs. Gun Runner Louisiana Derby.
Both switched to the wrong(left) lead mid-stretch. Nyquist however, galloped out very well.

Footwork has been an issue for GR. It's been a habit for Gun Runner to go left-lead in the stretch, but it's a positive sign that he's stayed righty in his workouts thus far.
Best gallop out in Fl Derby would have been Majesto as he pasted Nyq by lengths.
Huddy Goodjob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #82
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy Goodjob
Best gallop out in Fl Derby would have been Majesto as he pasted Nyq by lengths.
Majesto definitely had the best gallop out. They have to be looked at relative to the trip as well.

distance traveled = Nyquist ran 31 more feet (or approx 3 more lengths) during the running of the race.

peak speed = Nyquist ranked 2/10 with 39.9mph , Majesto ranked 9/10 with 38.7mph (the slowest peak speed was the other stretch runner in the race Fellowship)

Majesto is a very nice horse, but he ran a much different race than Nyquist and Mohaymen.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #83
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
peak speed = Nyquist ranked 2/10 with 39.9mph
*2/10 with 39.7mph
Old 04-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #84
glengarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter
Noisy Gun Runner: It was most noticeable in his workout, but the Louisiana Derby winner breathes louder than most horses when moving. Jockey Florent Geroux says he's always been that way. "If it was something new, it would be concerning," Geroux said.

maybe he's a smoker.
Frosted was noisy even after the surgery, both before the Wood and a few other races where I got feedback on his works. If it's just his way, that's fine.
glengarry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #85
dballard125

Quote:
Majesto definitely had the best gallop out. They have to be looked at relative to the trip as well.

distance traveled = Nyquist ran 31 more feet (or approx 3 more lengths) during the running of the race.

peak speed = Nyquist ranked 2/10 with 39.9mph , Majesto ranked 9/10 with 38.7mph (the slowest peak speed was the other stretch runner in the race Fellowship)

Majesto is a very nice horse, but he ran a much different race than Nyquist and Mohaymen.
That's the one thing about Nyquist. He can cruise at 40 mph, as shown in the FD...or gun it to 43 mph, as shown in the San Vicente. The only question that I have at this point is, can he get 1 1/4 miles. He's by far the class of this field. He runs fast enough to win races. He can rate and is a professional. It all comes down to the distance. His DI suggests it will be a problem...but I am inclined to think he is good enough to overcome it against this field.
dballard125 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #86
ArlJim78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan
From what the clickers & everyone else us saying from GR's workouts, they've fixed the lead change problems & his gallop outs are strong & this horse is coming into his own.

Wait & read about his last workout on Monday, this horse had 6 weeks off for a reason, Asmussen knows what this horse is capable of, & he's been working with him for 6 weeks, this horse is getting better & better.
Did the clickers mention if they have fixed it now so that he doesn't run a Z pattern in the stretch like he did last time?
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #87
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Did the clickers mention if they have fixed it now so that he doesn't run a Z pattern in the stretch like he did last time?

Asmussen stated he looked really good running down the stretch, & the clockers agreed. Let's watch his last workout coming up Monday.
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2016, 11:21 PM   #88
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy Goodjob
http://stevebyk.com/broadcast/hour-3-steve-haskin-2/

'23:40 - 25:30' on the recording: Steve Haskin discusses MAJESTO'S impressive gallop-out
Old 04-28-2016, 11:59 PM   #89
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dballard125
That's the one thing about Nyquist. He can cruise at 40 mph, as shown in the FD...or gun it to 43 mph, as shown in the San Vicente. The only question that I have at this point is, can he get 1 1/4 miles. He's by far the class of this field. He runs fast enough to win races. He can rate and is a professional. It all comes down to the distance. His DI suggests it will be a problem...but I am inclined to think he is good enough to overcome it against this field.
Your right about his breeding.It says no to the distance but this field looks weak so Maybe no one Will be able to run him down.
Tough call.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply