Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 05-15-2021, 09:35 AM   #346
mhaney0423

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn54 View Post
the problem i had with valuecapper, was the fact i was restricted to flat bet wagering. with a low win percentage so there is was no momentum of winning.
i could never justify the expense for the return i was getting from the combined costs of the software and datafiles.

exotic wagering with very long losing streaks requires a very large bankroll. even if you win 22 percent of the time you have losing run-outs of 35 occasionally.
May I ask how long you had Valuecapper? I was able to lose like a champ with it for the first year I owned it. Had nothing to do with the software mind you, it was operator error.

Why were you restricted to flat bet wagering? That seems like a personal preference to me.

Just curious, not trying to be confrontational, I always say different strokes for different folks. With me personally, the price of the software turned out to be a blessing in disguise. It kind of forced me to work through the tough days/ months/1.5 years in my case, to gain some level of competence with the software. Now I am definitely no Michael Pizzolla, who is a genius in my opinion, but I have managed to pay for my data and make a few bucks for the last couple years. Still have some long losing streaks though, had my first losing month of the year last month and Im standing at about even so far this month.

Still, Im no serious horseplayer, I place all my bets conditionally at about noon eastern and let the chips fall where they may. I think if I actually spent the day watching the board, I would do much, much better.

Best,

Matt
mhaney0423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2021, 02:10 PM   #347
acorn54

well i started with black magic for a few months and then valuecapper. i flat bet wagered because that is the test of success. if you have a wagering strategy other than flat betting or percentage of bankroll, i am all ears.
i have never had any higher hit rate than 20 percent, and simple probability says at that percentage, if i bet more than 1 percent of my bankroll i have the risk of eventually tapping out.
i know bob, mike pizzola's friend, knows the software backwards and forwards and he said in the video that mr. pizzolla puts in his intro to valuecapper, that he makes enough to take him and his family on vacations during the year. so i don't doubt there are ways to make the software work, but it wasn't my cup of tea.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2021, 02:44 PM   #348
mhaney0423

Quote:
well i started with black magic for a few months and then valuecapper. i flat bet wagered because that is the test of success. if you have a wagering strategy other than flat betting or percentage of bankroll, i am all ears.
i have never had any higher hit rate than 20 percent, and simple probability says at that percentage, if i bet more than 1 percent of my bankroll i have the risk of eventually tapping out.
i know bob, mike pizzola's friend, knows the software backwards and forwards and he said in the video that mr. pizzolla puts in his intro to valuecapper, that he makes enough to take him and his family on vacations during the year. so i don't doubt there are ways to make the software work, but it wasn't my cup of tea.
I was knocking flat bet wagering it just sounded from the OP that Valuecapper required you to bet this way

Quote:
the problem i had with valuecapper, was the fact i was restricted to flat bet wagering.
I can easily understand how it may not be everyones cup of tea, and I agree the runouts are real!!
Old 05-16-2021, 09:09 AM   #349
Pfranktdn9

Smile Black Magic or Value Capper

I'm just curious if anyone has either the Black Magic Software or the Value Capper Software from Post Time Research that they maybe interested in selling? If so, hit me up with which software you have for sale and how much are you selling it for? I'm interested in purchasing either software. Plus what extras do you have for either software? IE, DVD'S, Manuals, printed materials or software packages that goes with the software?
Pfranktdn9 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #350
cloud9

Ebay is selling Black Magic last time I looked .
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #351
lefty359

mhaney, When confronted with lots of races for the day, do you pare the races down by using any of the portfolios?
I confess, I just rebought ValuCapper. Had a few nice wins, nothing real big, but in the 5-1 to 12-1 range, betting 1 track. When I get the credit card pd off, I'll prob opt fo runlimited.
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #352
mhaney0423

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty359 View Post
mhaney, When confronted with lots of races for the day, do you pare the races down by using any of the portfolios?
I confess, I just rebought ValuCapper. Had a few nice wins, nothing real big, but in the 5-1 to 12-1 range, betting 1 track. When I get the credit card pd off, I'll prob opt fo runlimited.
Hey Lefty,

What I normally do first off is Eliminate Red (consider passing) and Orange (Proceed with Great Caution) races....doing this will eliminate 30-50% of the races without the need to really even look.....sure you miss a few prices but generally this saves me money. After that I take a look at AntiValue Countdown and Lone Closer Highly Pressured Race portfolios. I have great success with the AVC portfolio, problem is you may only get 1 or two plays a day. After that I normally take a look again at all the races and mark any race I may want to look more at. Then I normally take a 1-2 hour break. About 1130 AM I will look at the races I marked closer, save the ones I like and eliminate the rest. Sounds like a lot but the whole process takes me about 1 hour of the day. I bet everything conditionally about 12 or 1230.....so I miss a lot but it works for me.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:18 AM   #353
lefty359

Thanks for your answer. Always glad o get insights from someone who's been there and don that...successfully.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:37 AM   #354
mabred

Let us know how you are doing?? btw my son uses that program and does well but he is a pick 5 player. ahope you succeed Pat
mabred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #355
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty359 View Post
Thanks for your answer. Always glad o get insights from someone who's been there and don that...successfully.
I think another thing about what mhaney has accomplished has nothing to do with the software itself. His determination to stick with it despite his early losses is truly key to his current success, imo. That is why I always write that software players need to find what program fits them, and learn everything about it. That might take six months or a year, maybe longer depending on the complexity of the program. There is no magic to winning - it's hard work. Software just helps reduce some time and effort so the handicapper can focus on making better betting decisions.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:13 AM   #356
mhaney0423

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
I think another thing about what mhaney has accomplished has nothing to do with the software itself. His determination to stick with it despite his early losses is truly key to his current success, imo. That is why I always write that software players need to find what program fits them, and learn everything about it. That might take six months or a year, maybe longer depending on the complexity of the program. There is no magic to winning - it's hard work. Software just helps reduce some time and effort so the handicapper can focus on making better betting decisions.
This is absolutely true!!
Old 06-04-2021, 05:18 PM   #357
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
That sounds good but I think it is a natural thing to tweak yourself into ruins. Having seen my share of wares, many a programmer put multiple views in there and almost always someone looks better that the low price that wins. So being in the correct spot inside the head is necessary. Control is key knowing when your not setup to play, days when you are good it becomes more obvious when you need to over ride program output.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2021, 05:33 PM   #358
mhaney0423

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
That sounds good but I think it is a natural thing to tweak yourself into ruins. Having seen my share of wares, many a programmer put multiple views in there and almost always someone looks better that the low price that wins. So being in the correct spot inside the head is necessary. Control is key knowing when your not setup to play, days when you are good it becomes more obvious when you need to over ride program output.
In my case with Valuecapper, I was just betting too many races. The first 50-1 you hit, they all start looking good. Discipline is the name of the game, I still struggle with that and expect I always will. This is why most of the time I bet early conditionally. I call this, set it and forget it.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:46 PM   #359
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaney0423 View Post
The first 50-1 you hit, they all start looking good.

Great line, Matt...and so true!
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2021, 07:23 PM   #360
lefty359

mhaney, One more thing, Columbo used to say, Betting ahead like you do,
do you get the scratches from somewhere?
I go to racebook and never know what the scratches are till I get there.