Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #1
BELMONT 6-6-09

The two horse parlay

A friend of mine has been speaking of success recently with the 2 horse win/place parlay. He has become tired of getting beaten out for an exacta/double/win wager and collecting nothing.

His plan calls for wagering $10 to win/place on a very solid selection preferably in a race with a vulnerable favorite then parlaying the total return on his next advantage selection.

Example: (bet 1) XXX 5.80 win/place return on $10 W/P is $29

(bet 2 ( XXX 6.00 win/place return on $14/$15 W/P is $45

in this example he had two losing win wagers and recorded a $25 profit.
This is a situation with a huge upside had both horses won their races with a built in safety factor considering racing luck etc.

I believe this method can be very rewarding if the player follows a few rules:
(A) Think value by trying to beat a vulnerable favorite
(B) Be very selective with these qualifiers as you want to concentrate on horses that are ready to run today and have an excellent chance of finishing first or second. The premise is always to win!!!!
(C) These wagers can also be wagered separately should only one horse win in the sequence.

Any opinions on this wager.?
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
oughtoh

The way we use to do it years ago the second bet would have been $29 to place and no win bet on the second horse, which would have returned $78. Of course if the second horse would have won, you would get more money back by splitting the bet. My questions is, if the first horse would have won, would you have split the money evenly on the second bet?
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMONT 6-6-09 View Post
A friend of mine has been speaking of success recently with the 2 horse win/place parlay. He has become tired of getting beaten out for an exacta/double/win wager and collecting nothing.

His plan calls for wagering $10 to win/place on a very solid selection preferably in a race with a vulnerable favorite then parlaying the total return on his next advantage selection.

Example: (bet 1) XXX 5.80 win/place return on $10 W/P is $29

(bet 2 ( XXX 6.00 win/place return on $14/$15 W/P is $45

in this example he had two losing win wagers and recorded a $25 profit.
This is a situation with a huge upside had both horses won their races with a built in safety factor considering racing luck etc.

I believe this method can be very rewarding if the player follows a few rules:
(A) Think value by trying to beat a vulnerable favorite
(B) Be very selective with these qualifiers as you want to concentrate on horses that are ready to run today and have an excellent chance of finishing first or second. The premise is always to win!!!!
(C) These wagers can also be wagered separately should only one horse win in the sequence.

Any opinions on this wager.?
What kind of opinions you are looking for? The situation you are describing here does not leave much room for controversy; each individual bet has its own EV which by no means is affected by whether it is part of a parlay or not.

Money management and bet sizing schema's have absolutely no impact in the bottom line; the only thing you can accomplish with them is to accelerate the effect of your strategy meaning to either lose or win at a faster or slower rate.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
BELMONT 6-6-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtoh View Post
The way we use to do it years ago the second bet would have been $29 to place and no win bet on the second horse, which would have returned $78. Of course if the second horse would have won, you would get more money back by splitting the bet. My questions is, if the first horse would have won, would you have split the money evenly on the second bet?

If the first horse won the money would be split equally win/place.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
BELMONT 6-6-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover View Post
What kind of opinions you are looking for? The situation you are describing here does not leave much room for controversy; each individual bet has its own EV which by no means is affected by whether it is part of a parlay or not.

Money management and bet sizing schema's have absolutely no impact in the bottom line; the only thing you can accomplish with them is to accelerate the effect of your strategy meaning to either lose or win at a faster or slower rate.
Your point is well taken. The 'lure' of this bet is for a small bettor to run a small amount into a good one with two wins in a row on well thought out selections.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:25 PM   #6
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

What did the exactas pay on each of those races? Could you have done better than 5/4, which is what you ended up getting back for your $20 investments, by hitting one of the exactas? Hope I'm reading your question correctly.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMONT 6-6-09 View Post
Your point is well taken. The 'lure' of this bet is for a small bettor to run a small amount into a good one with two wins in a row on well thought out selections.
I too would like to parlay a small amount into a "good one"...but I've noticed that my winners don't like to come in pairs.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
AltonKelsey
Veteran

A parlay is a poor mans DD

With rolling doubles, you are much better off using those, than a two takeout parlay.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
Equifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
A parlay is a poor mans DD

With rolling doubles, you are much better off using those, than a two takeout parlay.
Excellent point. I sometimes use the rolling double in an attempt to leverage value from an otherwise (for my tastes) un-bettable short price, with a straight wager. And/or, to get maximum value from a price horse.
Equifan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #10
traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I too would like to parlay a small amount into a "good one"...but I've noticed that my winners don't like to come in pairs.
I like round-robin parlays.
traveler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: