Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #16
storyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Nope, just been using raw times for now. I also only started with G1/G2 stakes so the sample is pretty small to break up into subsets. My goal here was to see what the numbers say about the very best horses.
Not sure why you'd use raw times but I'm sure you have your reasons.

For the extra few minutes it would take I'm not sure why you wouldn't run the same data using adjusted time as one of the filters.

Last edited by storyline; 12-01-2017 at 06:49 PM.
storyline is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #17
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
OK, this one REALLY surprised me.

For the last fraction on DIRT, the winners look like this:

Average: 89percentile
Median: 100th percentile
No way this is right...there must be an error, especially the median 100
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #18
nomadpat

When you say pace call, are you talking the first or second? In a 6f race, would it be 2f or 4f call?
nomadpat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2017, 10:58 PM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadpat View Post
When you say pace call, are you talking the first or second? In a 6f race, would it be 2f or 4f call?
4f, 6f for routes less than 10f, etc.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2017, 11:00 PM   #20
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
No way this is right...there must be an error, especially the median 100
Nope, it is right. More than half were won by the horse with the fastest last fraction. Why would you think I made an error? I'm diligent .😀
Old 12-01-2017, 11:28 PM   #21
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Nope, it is right. More than half were won by the horse with the fastest last fraction. Why would you think I made an error? I'm diligent .😀
Just surprised, like you....wondering how representative it is for the non-graded stakes as well....maybe more weight should be given in the TimeformUS Late Pace figure to the last race final fraction (assuming it doesn't do this already)...What would be great is if the final fraction was shown on the DRF for each start...so all of us could be on a level playing field (those of us without computer software that cranks these out)...I've always felt the best final fraction was a potentially huge indicator of positive future performance...yet how widespread is the phenom...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #22
CincyHorseplayer

I was thinking equal on dirt and turf for the last fraction but was only somewhat surprised about the dirt numbers. At higher levels and competitive meets I have noticed that many of my ratings invented from ideas about turf racing started popping up as winning ratings for dirt races. Cheap speed IMO just doesn't wreak as much havoc anymore. Or the jockeys don't utilize it as they should as often. Pandy is well aware of these concepts.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #23
GMB@BP

Quote:
Nothing overly illuminating here. I imagine most know late speed is king in turf racing. But here is some numerical data based on all the G1/G2 turf races run in 2017. I used percentiles. If you are ranked first, you are in the 100% percentile, if you are last, you are in the 0%. If you are 5th in a 9 horse field you are in the 50% percentile.

I ranked where horses were in the field at the pace call and also how fast they finished the race (the last fraction). I did break it down by distance but it turns out distance doesn't matter all that much on turf.

For the pace call, the winners look like this:

Average: 60th percentile
Median: 63rd percentile

For the final fraction, winners look like this:

Average: 81st percentile
Median: 84th percentile

I'll do dirt next...any guesses on how close it will be to turf?
When you say the last fraction, that obviously can be 1F in some calls and 2F in other distances, so I assume its just all last fraction calls in a chart regardless of if its a 1f or 2f call...hope that makes sense.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #24
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
When you say the last fraction, that obviously can be 1F in some calls and 2F in other distances, so I assume its just all last fraction calls in a chart regardless of if its a 1f or 2f call...hope that makes sense.

No, never 1f. I use the 6f call until 10f, then the 1m, and 1m 1/4 for 1m 1/2 races.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #25
GMB@BP

Quote:
No, never 1f. I use the 6f call until 10f, then the 1m, and 1m 1/4 for 1m 1/2 races.
ok, just trying to figure out how to look at this when its a sprint running line versus a route, say like today in the G1 Cigar Mile. I am on the slow side, sorry.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply