Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-25-2020, 10:55 PM   #1
dilanesp

Silver Charm looking good at 26

dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2020, 06:06 AM   #2
porchy44

I got to see him a couple years ago when I visited "old Friends" Retirement farm in Georgetown Kentucky. Close to Keeneland and a pretty nice tour.

http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/thor...scue-list.html
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #3
Dahoss9698
Veteran

That triple crown series was really something. He was (and still is) such a cool horse.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post
I got to see him a couple years ago when I visited "old Friends" Retirement farm in Georgetown Kentucky. Close to Keeneland and a pretty nice tour.

http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/thor...scue-list.html
I did the Old Friends tour last year. I'm sure I'll go back eventually.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

What an awesome pic...I don't think I could have picked a better time time to get into racing than the late 80s and 90s....
Old 11-30-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
What an awesome pic...I don't think I could have picked a better time time to get into racing than the late 80s and 90s....
The "Class of '97" was really special. Look at the '97 Derby- it had a short field that year (the last Derby to fit in the 14 stall gate). The top three were very special horses- Silver Charm, Captain Bodgit, and Free House, and the finish was close. Touch Gold, another good one, joined the group in the Preakness and Belmont.

And then in the also rans of that Derby, you get Pulpit and Concerto, who went on to be excellent sires.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:53 PM   #7
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I chose PhantomOnTour as my handle because Silver Charm was taken.
He’s my favorite horse (POT is 2nd).

Never seen a more gutsy runner in my life. What a brawler! His Derby & Preakness wins were classics. I’m certain that if he had seen Touch Gold coming in the Belmont he would have out dueled him to the wire (if you don’t agree with me then I’m obligated to meet you somewhere and fight you)

His ‘98 Dubai WC win was one for the ages. It seemed like they took turns making runs at him down the long stretch at Nad Al Sheba and none of them succeeded....Borgia, Malek, Loup Sauvage and finally Swain...no no no and NO!
His win in the Clark is another example of his tenacity.

It’s great to see he’s still doing well.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:35 PM   #8
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The "Class of '97" was really special. Look at the '97 Derby- it had a short field that year (the last Derby to fit in the 14 stall gate). The top three were very special horses- Silver Charm, Captain Bodgit, and Free House, and the finish was close. Touch Gold, another good one, joined the group in the Preakness and Belmont.

And then in the also rans of that Derby, you get Pulpit and Concerto, who went on to be excellent sires.
That crop also yielded Awesome Again, Behrens, Deputy Commander, Affirmed Success, Wild Rush, Tale of the Cat, Frisk Me Now, and Mud Route
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2020, 05:36 PM   #9
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post

Never seen a more gutsy runner in my life. What a brawler! His Derby & Preakness wins were classics. I’m certain that if he had seen Touch Gold coming in the Belmont he would have out dueled him to the wire (if you don’t agree with me then I’m obligated to meet you somewhere and fight you)
I saw that race. It's the one time I ever went to Belmont for a TC attempt. Touch Gold was legit good, and had a horrendous trip in the Preakness, so the result was certainly not unexpected. But Silver Charm was a scary good horse.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:55 PM   #10
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Echo.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: