Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-25-2020, 04:10 PM   #31
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBYRacer View Post
I love 'wire wire wire' as a desperate plea for the wire to magically shift up a couple of lengths. I've been there many times...on the brink of another heart wrenching defeat after stressing the whole stretch.
Mine is "Where's the wire?" strung all together and repeated faster and faster - "where's the wire? ... wheresthewire...wheresthewirewheresthewire" and ending with an "Ooooooooooooo" or a "Yesssssssssssss"
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 04:11 PM   #32
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Mine is "Where's the wire?" strung all together and repeated faster and faster - "where's the wire? ... wheresthewire...wheresthewirewheresthewire" and ending with an "Ooooooooooooo" or a "Yesssssssssssss"
Haha. So funny. I'm definitely using this one!
CBYRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #33
Aner

I tell friends I spend afternoons yelling at the TV. Those who play the ponies know what I mean, but others just think I'm losing it.

If my pick is in contention I have two favorite yells. When on the lead I use "Keep him together" and when coming from behind it is " Get him up".

― John Pfeiffer
Aner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #34
BarchCapper

Quote:
Haha. So funny. I'm definitely using this one!
I'd caution you about using it at the upcoming Kentucky Downs meet - you're liable to hyperventilate and pass out when they switch to the SECOND stretch run camera!
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #35
lefty359

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
Its no big deal, you should have fun. The other extreme of just sitting passively would not be fun. At a sporting event you root. But visit mainline one at Meadowlands one day...

The fun for me is cashing the ticket.
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #36
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I'm not into "cheering"...but I've adopted an effective way of "coaxing" my horse to the wire when it has secured a contending position while turning for home. I'll roll up my Racing Form and hold it whip-like in my hand...and then rhythmically strike it against the side of my thigh while maintaining a slightly bent-over stance. Vocal encouragement is optional. Call me crazy, but I've found that it helps if I increase the frequency and force of the flailing movement as my horse nears the finish line.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 04:34 PM   #37
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post
It's so hard to be "original" in this game.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:41 PM   #38
CBYRacer

I've never seen that clip. So funny. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #39
Appy

Good thread CBY. I commend your practice of calling the horse by name. Shows due respect as opposed to just another number.
I've been on Barch's cheer wagon more than a few times.
Because most all my racing these days is at home in front of my big screen (and no one besides my dogs to offend) I get involved in the race I'm playing. I rarely play the W pool these days, so I have at least 4 horses to get home. Their order of finish is important to me, so I have developed ways to help. I put my hand up in front of a horse coming on too strong for my picks, trying to hold him back. Or I blow air at their their face. Anything to help get my choices home for the big hit.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:38 PM   #40
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appy View Post
Good thread CBY. I commend your practice of calling the horse by name. Shows due respect as opposed to just another number.
I've been on Barch's cheer wagon more than a few times.
Because most all my racing these days is at home in front of my big screen (and no one besides my dogs to offend) I get involved in the race I'm playing. I rarely play the W pool these days, so I have at least 4 horses to get home. Their order of finish is important to me, so I have developed ways to help. I put my hand up in front of a horse coming on too strong for my picks, trying to hold him back. Or I blow air at their their face. Anything to help get my choices home for the big hit.
Thanks, Appy. Appreciate the comments.

I like your techniques. Do any of them work? Maybe you need some sugar cubes to distract the closers?
Old 08-25-2020, 09:48 PM   #41
Frost king

Quote:
I've never seen that clip. So funny. Thanks for sharing!
Who was the race caller in that clip? Was in Wrona?
Frost king is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 10:26 PM   #42
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I like to scream out the name of a horse that’s in the last race and watch everybody start going through their programs half way through the stretch
Old 08-25-2020, 11:21 PM   #43
QuarterRACER

in a tight stretch battle I usually call for to dig ,dig ,dig, on the note of enjoying a fellow horseplayers chagrin while rooting for own horse, one year while playing a remington simulcast at blue ribbon downs. there was a particular horse player who always bet the favorite and would often let you know that the horse you bet shouldn't win . anyway the horse he bet was a front runner and i had bet a horse Court Judge . at the top of the stretch the favorite begin to tire and Court Judge started rolling from off the pace . at that point I began hollering here comes da judge,here comes da judge . he won the race and I enjoyed it more so looking at the expression on know it alls face
QuarterRACER is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 11:37 PM   #44
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost king View Post
Who was the race caller in that clip? Was in Wrona?
Not sure, Frost King. Anyone else know who was calling this race?
Old 08-25-2020, 11:38 PM   #45
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I like to scream out the name of a horse that’s in the last race and watch everybody start going through their programs half way through the stretch
Man, these are funny guys. Making my day with these great ideas.