Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
Track Phantom

Fair Pick 4 Payout/Win Parlay

Is it accurate to say a win parlay is the best way to determine if a pick 4 paid well or not? Assuming that to be true, the main question is if the comparable win parlay uses a base of .50c, $1 or $2? (This also assumes the pick 4 payout is based on a .50c base).

I was comparing pick 4 payouts to the same payout for a win parlay starting with .50c base. I'm finding that the pick 4 payouts are typically 40% - 75% higher. It feels like I'm not doing this correctly.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:15 AM   #2
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
Is it accurate to say a win parlay is the best way to determine if a pick 4 paid well or not? Assuming that to be true, the main question is if the comparable win parlay uses a base of .50c, $1 or $2? (This also assumes the pick 4 payout is based on a .50c base).

I was comparing pick 4 payouts to the same payout for a win parlay starting with .50c base. I'm finding that the pick 4 payouts are typically 40% - 75% higher. It feels like I'm not doing this correctly.
It does seem a little high but that is how I would computer. If first leg paid $8 I would begin the parlay with $2 (based on 50%). You should get a premium as takeout is only once. If big favorites lose it can also pay a premium. 40-75 seems a little high though.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

That sounds right to me.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
thaskalos

Quote:

Isn't the 4-race parlay subjected to 4 separate takeout deductions...whereas the pick-4 is deducted from only once? Given that consideration...how can the pick-4 not pay considerably more?
Old 05-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
AndyC

Quote:

In a 4 race parlay if the pool started at $100,000, with a 16% takeout, you would have $84,000 left after the first race, $70,560 after the second, $59,270 after the third and $49,787 after the fourth.

In a P-4 with 1 takeout, using 20%, you would have $80,000 left after 4 races giving an expected payoff of 1.60X the parlay. ($80,000/$49,787)
Old 05-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #6
Track Phantom

I figured takeout is what was skewing it. So, what would you suggest in order to determine if the pick 4 was fair? I always thought the win parlay was the answer.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:25 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I figured takeout is what was skewing it. So, what would you suggest in order to determine if the pick 4 was fair? I always thought the win parlay was the answer.
I never really understood the comparison. Were people betting 4 race win parlays before the Pick 4? Just because a P4 pays more doesn't mean it was a good bet. It just means it was better than a 4 race win parlay.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:34 PM   #8
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I never really understood the comparison. Were people betting 4 race win parlays before the Pick 4? Just because a P4 pays more doesn't mean it was a good bet. It just means it was better than a 4 race win parlay.
True. But we all question whether the pick 4 (or 3, or 5) payout was fair. I was trying to find a way I could illustrate that.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
True. But we all question whether the pick 4 (or 3, or 5) payout was fair. I was trying to find a way I could illustrate that.
It is probably the best we have. As AndyC showed though it isn't about paying just more. The 1.6 he calculated is probably a good starting point.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #10
AndyC

Quote:
Recompute the final odds of each horse to no-takeout odds and then compute a parlay. For example fair odds on an even money horse at a track with 16% win takeout would be 1.38/1. After takeout 42% losers/42% winners = 1/1. Without takeout it is 58%/42% = 1.38/1

Of course the above is all predicated on the belief that the final odds are a fair representation of probability.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:12 PM   #11
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Recompute the final odds of each horse to no-takeout odds and then compute a parlay. For example fair odds on an even money horse at a track with 16% win takeout would be 1.38/1. After takeout 42% losers/42% winners = 1/1. Without takeout it is 58%/42% = 1.38/1

Of course the above is all predicated on the belief that the final odds are a fair representation of probability.
I just want to be directional correct. Do you think multiplying the .50c win parlay x 1.6 would get me there? Thanks for your help, by the way.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:27 PM   #12
AndyC

Quote:
I just want to be directional correct. Do you think multiplying the .50c win parlay x 1.6 would get me there? Thanks for your help, by the way.
The 1.6 is good for the takeout percentages I used but the number really depends on the tracks you play.