Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
cardinalsfan

Oaklawn, Race 7, March 28th - No inquiry?

Am I going crazy? If anyone has access, can you look at the headon replay (Xpressbet has it), Oaklawn's 7th from today, March 28th and let me know if you can see why there was not an objection or inquiry? It's really odd as it was a very tight nose finish and the inside horse clearly took the outside horse out of its path. Just bad officiating, or do you see something I don't . Mystifying!
cardinalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
Immortal6

Up above is the DQ/non DQ complaint thread, not being snarky just letting you know. But to answer your question they talked about this on the nbc coverage and Stevens mentioned Oaklawn let’s the jockeys ride a little more than other tracks. Also mentioned how Joe Rocco and the other jock (don’t remember who it was, maybe Eramia??) had an extended conversation riding all the way back to the winners circle area.

My best guess is Rocco told Eramia he would owe him one, and Eramia obliged knowing it would have been an iffy DQ at best. Imo it was not malicious and didn’t knock the horse off stride.

Editing to add, I didn’t see a head on shot on the nbc telecast
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
Bennie

I was happy at first when it stayed because I had the 4 to win and the exacta but when all was said and done it ended up costing me the pick 4 as I had played the 6/4,8/3/4,10 (winner) along with 4/4,8/6/7,11 loser.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
Up above is the DQ/non DQ complaint thread, not being snarky just letting you know. But to answer your question they talked about this on the nbc coverage and Stevens mentioned Oaklawn let’s the jockeys ride a little more than other tracks. Also mentioned how Joe Rocco and the other jock (don’t remember who it was, maybe Eramia??) had an extended conversation riding all the way back to the winners circle area.

My best guess is Rocco told Eramia he would owe him one, and Eramia obliged knowing it would have been an iffy DQ at best. Imo it was not malicious and didn’t knock the horse off stride.

A perfect example why jockeys posting an objection is beyond silly and outdated. It is an archaic rule that is moot with video replay. Why the hell does a jockey need to inform a booth of three stewards that they need to review the race for interference when they have multiple angles and replay?
Old 03-29-2020, 11:34 PM   #5
TMQ
Longacres transplant

I was shocked they didn't even look at it. I thought they would change tje order of finish for sure. Unfortunetly for my wallet I was wrong...
TMQ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 11:54 PM   #6
Suff
Beat up 💪

Patrol Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
A a booth of three stewards

Every race a Patrol Judge climbs up and in this. I don’t know exactly how they fit into the inquiry, objection or jockey fines? Its a big climb and they seem serious. Probably because the money’s good.

Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #7
cardinalsfan

Quote:

You're not being snarky. Didn't know we're had such a thread on this board. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks also for pointing at the long conversation the two jocks had. Brings it all back to the human level and you're probably right, they probably chatted about this.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
cardinalsfan

Quote:

You're not being snarky. Didn't know we had such a thread on this board. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks also for pointing out the long conversation the two jocks had. Brings it all back to the human level and you're probably right, they probably chatted about this.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #9
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post

Every race a Patrol Judge climbs up and in this. I don’t know exactly how they fit into the inquiry, objection or jockey fines? Its a big climb and they seem serious. Probably because the money’s good.

Kidding right?
Old 03-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #10
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Kidding right?
When the wind blows towers like this swing back and forth...It is scary.

I would hate to make that trip in the rain/wind/snow.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #11
46zilzal
velocitician

At Woodbine, a photo patrol director (we shared the same room on the 7th floor at the track) monitors all the incoming video on several screens, and when the stewards call, he then directs the video (front tower, back tower, upper pan, lower pan, apex.....and these are all from different camera if the surfaces is on the main or the turf) TO THEM.

They usually have him run it back and forth several times often asking for a second view (particularly good is the apex as it catches then going INTO the final turn, around it and then INTO the lane). Rarely, if there are many overlapping horses close together, they may ask for upwards of 4 views. THE LONGER they take, the more likely the offending horse(s) will be disqualified.

The stewards look at all objections and potential DQ's.

If they decide that a DQ is pending, they will then direct him to show the various angles THEY CHOOSE to the TV station down the hall for broadcast to the entire on track population.

If I created a photo for that race, they tell me to HOLD IT as often the disqualified horse in amongst those in the photo. Once I hear them talk about which horse is to be taken down, then I overlay a "DISQUALIFIED (red)" graphic over the horse in question and go about sending the photo to the TV studio as altered.

Last edited by 46zilzal; 03-30-2020 at 10:55 AM.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
green80

Quote:

While that sounds reasonable, did you forget that the owner or trainer of the horse can file an objection also? So not just the jockeys would have to conspire, you would have to have several people in agreement within a minute or two.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #13
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Kidding right?

Hi Vic, actually no. I know what a patrol judge is by definition. I don't fully understand the mechanics. Are they raising things to the stewards during a race? Do they initiate steward inquiries? Stwards consult with them?
Count me among your fans with an appreciation for your race calls.

I enjoy when you highlight a jockeys and/or horses top accomplishments as they're loading for a big race. Its fun buildup. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #14
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Patrol judges aren't up in the towers; video crews are. Patrol judges positioned around the track is so 60, 70 years ago: Old School, hard emphasis on the Old.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #15
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
Patrol judges aren't up in the towers; video crews are. Patrol judges positioned around the track is so 60, 70 years ago: Old School, hard emphasis on the Old.
I asked outloud . I heard patrol judge. someone said Patrol judge, either the climber or the gulfstream guy who brought me in there, who is old as f.

He's retired law enforcement from up north, works the south side security just on Saturday and Sunday. He loves it two days a week.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: