Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
doctorwin
Apprentice

Is Twitter Good for Horse Racing ?

It was funny to listen to Jason Beem defend Michelle Beadle on the Bet America Barn show this morning. I'm not on Twitter anymore but I guess that she got some criticism about anti horse racing comments she had made.

What makes this funny is that Beem and his Twitter friends were some of most critical people on Twitter. They would criticize almost anybody who had accomplished anything in racing. They have toned down a bit now that Beem takes a paycheck from the industry.

This leads to a bigger topic is Twitter good for horse racing?

P.S. It was super cool that Beem mentioned Barry "The Sniper" Spears. He's a contest player and one of the coolest guys in the racing world. Some day everybody will know Barry and his podcast will be informative and entertaining.

Doctor Win
doctorwin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2016, 11:26 AM   #2
Shelby

I love Twitter because I get fast information whether it be about horses, weather, crime etc. I would say it's good for horse racing.

Here are the tweets from M. Beadle:

Michelle Beadle ‏@MichelleDBeadle May 21
Didn't like it before I covered it. Didn't like it when I covered it. Don't like it now. #HorseracingSucks
93 retweets 510 likes
Reply Retweet 93
Like 510
More

I guess the horses are 'athletes' until they die. Then they're 'just animals.' Imagine if two baseball players died today. #HorseracingSucks
-------------------------

I used to follow her on Twitter. I unfollowed some time ago. I do remember during a Breeder's Cup day or maybe it was Derby day that she said she loved being there and loved racing so either she was lying or she changed her mind.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Tall One
Scum Bum!

I think it is. Just like with all forms of social media, there are good and bad parts. Depends on who you follow, circuit, etc..but i stick with the people I respect, and leave the rest alone.

Im not touting him because he posts here, but Serling is a great follow. Not just for on the track, but he's a pretty sharp dude. Richie Migliore as well..hell all the NYRA folks bring a lot to the twitter machine.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #4
johnhannibalsmith

Anything that tries to limit the number of characters just can't possibly quite jive with racing.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
MonmouthParkJoe

I have yet to fully embrace twitter. For informational purposes I do think it has its place. I have a few problems with it.

Due to the need we have developed for instant news and the idea that our opinion on things need to be heard , it seems there is very little original content, just the same things retweeted. Since news breaks so fast it seems like some people want to jump on things without fact checking and it spreads like wildfire. It can create a firestorm within minutes even if it isnt warranted in the first place. Add to that it creates a virtual record of everything you say. Knee jerk responses that would have never come out had the person thought it over in the first place have become the norm.

It is here to stay. Social media has its pros and cons, and anyone with an internet connection can become a "celebrity" overnight. Just need to rethink things before sounding off and the impact it could have down the road.

Last edited by MonmouthParkJoe; 05-26-2016 at 11:43 AM.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby
I love Twitter because I get fast information whether it be about horses, weather, crime etc. I would say it's good for horse racing.

Here are the tweets from M. Beadle:

Didn't like it before I covered it. Didn't like it when I covered it. Don't like it now. #HorseracingSucks
93 retweets 510 likes
Reply Retweet 93
Like 510
More

I guess the horses are 'athletes' until they die. Then they're 'just animals.' Imagine if two baseball players died today. #HorseracingSucks
-------------------------

I used to follow her on Twitter. I unfollowed some time ago. I do remember during a Breeder's Cup day or maybe it was Derby day that she said she loved being there and loved racing so either she was lying or she changed her mind.
I love racing and I love Beadle. Generally I do think racing is sort of cruel, but my love for it makes me a bit of a hypocrite. I'd say I have a lot more love for the racing than the actual horses. What she's saying does have some truth to it.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwin
It was funny to listen to Jason Beem defend Michelle Beadle on the Bet America Barn show this morning. I'm not on Twitter anymore but I guess that she got some criticism about anti horse racing comments she had made.

What makes this funny is that Beem and his Twitter friends were some of most critical people on Twitter. They would criticize almost anybody who had accomplished anything in racing. They have toned down a bit now that Beem takes a paycheck from the industry.

This leads to a bigger topic is Twitter good for horse racing?

P.S. It was super cool that Beem mentioned Barry "The Sniper" Spears. He's a contest player and one of the coolest guys in the racing world. Some day everybody will know Barry and his podcast will be informative and entertaining.

Doctor Win
Jason Beem is the last guy I would say that is critical of people that have accomplished something in racing. He is literally the polar opposite of that.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Jason Beem is the last guy I would say that is critical of people that have accomplished something in racing. He is literally the polar opposite of that.

There's little I find more ridiculous than people on the internet accusing people incorrectly and then making statements like "they don't do it anymore now that they are paid by........"

That's nothing more than passive aggressive slander.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
doctorwin
Apprentice

Yes Jason Beem is the person who posted a picture of Zayat riding AP after the Triple Crown victory. What positive influence is that?
Old 05-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Yes Jason Beem is the person who posted a picture of Zayat riding AP after the Triple Crown victory. What positive influence is that?
Never seen said picture, but perhaps he was trying to be humorous?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
doctorwin
Apprentice

Yes I get that. I didn't find it funny and neither did the Zayat's who blocked his account.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #12
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

@DickJerardi & @DRFPrivman are my only racing guys.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #13
doctorwin
Apprentice

If I get a chance to go back I'll check them out.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Yes I get that. I didn't find it funny and neither did the Zayat's who blocked his account.
You would think being in this game as long and as deep as they are, their skin would be a tad thicker and their sense of humor a bit more lenient...

Again, I haven't seen this picture, so maybe it was worse than I imagine.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2016, 02:06 PM   #15
no breathalyzer
Veteran

twitter makes people feel important or detracts them enough that they forget they are a losing horse player .. I have found a couple of feeds i really enjoy.. also been blocked by people that can't handle the truth.. One thing that sucks about twitter is the overload of trolls
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: