Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion > Interviews

Old 04-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #16
rangiles

Hi Mike A--

The only updates we've had for the multipliers in Extreme Pace Handicapping book is I've added Turf Paradise. At the time the book was published I just didn't feel good about the number of races I had at that track so I didn't include it. Drop me an email at randy@paceappraiser.com and I'll be happy to send that information to you.
rangiles is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #17
rangiles

Hi CincyHorseplayer--

Here's the last part of your questions that I overlooked.

Question 3)Pace Comfort Zone

You told me the other day that you would refer to pace comfort zone to decide if
a runner had the type of capability to win in a certain pace scenario.Would you
say that,just as there is diversity in running style that isn't one dimensional
like E/P's and P/C's that points out the ability of an animal,that the depth of
the PCZ within that running style is just an extension of pointing out the
virtues of that horse?That defining both goes hand in hand?
---

I do believe that defining both are very important. An E/P with a PCZ of 4.0 is much more talented than a E/P with a 0.5 PCZ. This additional talent becomes much more important as the early pressure builds. I look at this way, the more pressure the more PCZ talent I need. I just don't want to get involved with a horse that's an E/P7 with a 0.13 PCZ rating if its not in an Early 2D Pace Box. The same goes for P/Cs. Say the Pace Pressure Gauge is pointing to a late pace bias (32 X 1) then I want my P/C Carpetbagger to be talented, which means a 5.0 or close to it. A PCZ of 10.0 is troublesome even in this kind PPG rating. I believe the most talented horses at the track are E/Ps and P/Cs because they have two dimeinsions; they can adjust to the pace picture as it unfolds. I've saved a lot of money by passing horses that had everything I'm looking for in terms of improving form and eligibility conditions, etc,
but that extra talent wasn't there for that particular pace picture so the race was passed. Like I said, a good guideline for using the PCZ with early pace types is the more pressure the more PCZ talent required.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #18
rangiles

Hi Mac--

That's a good suggestion and we'll try to get that going.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #19
rangiles

Hi Partsnut--

Question: Randy, as far as I know, you are a win bettor. Is this correct?

Answer: Yes, I'm primarily a win better...a simulcast player.

Question: You won't bet into a mush race because there is no contender that shows a pace edge. Is this correct?

Answer: Usually that's the case. I will play mush race if there's a serious overlay.

Question: For the most part you do not bet the exotics?

Answer: That's right. Since I look at, on average, about 10 tracks per day I'm really focused on horses that have a pace advantage or horses that will be "working" in a pace box.

Question: You also demand value for the horses that you play?

Answer: Absolutely. If I'm right I want to be rewared for it. This might sound strange but I don't really like betting! I really want an opportunity that compels me to make the bet. Pace advantages do that for me.

Question: You are a simulcast player that picks his spots from a multitude of tracks and plays on a daily basis? You are a volume player?

Answer: That's correct. I do play on a daily basis...that's 7 days a week. Since my wife likes me to have a real life too I have the technology in place that allows me to wager wherever I happen to be. I have an iPhone and an iPad so that makes it easy. I use Twinsipres so I can login to my account even when I'm at one of my grandson's baseball games and do business. I have two computers going in my office and then when I'm out and about I'm still in the game. It's just unbelievable what technology has done. I can't say enough good things about it so I'll just stop there.

Question: The majority of players cannot handle a protracted losing streak? So you have to learn how to lose before you can learn how to win?

Answer: I think so. It's tough but it's just part of the game. Like baseball horse racing is a game of failure for the most part and so we just have to deal with it, move on and make good plays. Keep making value plays, that's the most important thing.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #20
rangiles

Hi thaskalos--

I appreciate the suggestion...thank you. I'm working on a new book now and hope to be finished soon.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #21
rangiles

Hi mabred--

I'm working on adding some more Pace Box examples on my site. Will have those up soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: