Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 08-03-2021, 11:02 PM   #1
46zilzal
velocitician

No headgear?

Boxing no longer uses them in the Olympics?
Old 08-03-2021, 11:55 PM   #2
CheckMark

It’s all street fighting style now. No headgear.

I would still think that they would have headgear though if somebody wanted to have it.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:11 PM   #3
Inner Dirt

It used to be optional in amateur fights, but most everyone wore it, no idea the rules now.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #4
proximity

in usa boxing i think everyone wears this except "elites" which i believe are seniors (19-40) with more than 20 bouts?

i will ask our gym owner who is also an official.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #5
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
in usa boxing i think everyone wears this except "elites" which i believe are seniors (19-40) with more than 20 bouts?

I am sure the rules have definitely changed over the years, my comment of optional was from the day where and when I boxed as an amateur. That was in a land far,far away in another place in time.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:37 PM   #6
xtb

Most concussions occur from getting hit on the chin so the helmets probably did little good and may have been a hindrance. Dr. Three Degrees should have known this.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2021, 04:50 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
Most concussions occur from getting hit on the chin so the helmets probably did little good and may have been a hindrance. Dr. Three Degrees should have known this.

Are you sure? I have had quite a few concussions starting when I dumped a TV on a stand on my head at 18 months. To my knowledge they are caused by the brain slamming against the skull wall. That normally isn't happening with a shot to the chin. Pretty sure it is spinal cord shock that causes people to drop from hard punches to the chin. None of my concussions came from chin shots. Mostly cross punches that twist the neck cause people to lose their legs from chin shots.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 08-04-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:40 PM   #8
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Are you sure? I have had quite a few concussions starting when I dumped a TV on a stand on my head at 18 months. To my knowledge they are caused by the brain slamming against the skull wall. That normally isn't happening with a shot to the chin. Pretty sure it is spinal cord shock that causes people to drop from hard punches to the chin. None of my concussions came from chin shots. Mostly cross punches that twist the neck cause people to lose their legs from chin shots.
Quote:
What almost everyone can agree on is that foam padding does little to protect against concussions and knockout blows. Punch hard enough, and you overwhelm the foam’s ability to absorb energy. “The headgear becomes less useful and then not useful,” says Blaine Hoshizaki, a head injury researcher at the University of Ottawa.

Plus, the headgear still leaves boxers vulnerable to punches to the jaw, which are most likely to cause concussions because they whip the head around. “Boxers know that to get the knockout, you need to make the head spin,” says Bir. “Jabs aren’t going to do much.” Your brain normally sits suspended in fluid; when your head whips around, the brain whips around too, the tissue stretching and compressing. This causes concussions.
https://www.wired.com/2016/08/olympi...dgear-anymore/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-injuries.html
Old 08-05-2021, 08:44 AM   #9
Johnny V

Boxing headgear was never intended to prevent concussions. It was used to prevent cuts over and to the eyes from banging heads while sparring. Just look at the traditional headgear used, the padding is on and around the forehead area. There have been modifications on some models to protect some fighters who have injured areas around the nose etc. . The intent was always to protect fighters from unintentional head butts when sparring in the gym.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2021, 09:05 AM   #10
lamboguy

i know a girl that was on a collegiate volley ball team that constantly suffered concussions from being hit on the top of her head from the ball. she had to give up the sport. but she did remain on the team as a manager.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2021, 09:10 AM   #11
xtb

I got a concussion at 8 years old when I fell off my bicycle.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:35 AM   #12
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post

the boss said the olympics use the rules of something called the AIBA.

personally i think the headgear is overrated and most of my injury concerns are for my shoulders. inner dirt made a great post about this on the main olympics thread. jmo.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2021, 11:07 AM   #13
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
I got a concussion at 8 years old when I fell off my bicycle.

Got one of those too, chain came off when I was pedaling standing up.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:27 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i know a girl that was on a collegiate volley ball team that constantly suffered concussions from being hit on the top of her head from the ball. she had to give up the sport. but she did remain on the team as a manager.

The problem is concussions seem to be cumulative, once you get #1, #2 is easier to get, etc,etc, and the effects last longer, even from the same type blow to the head. Most of the ones I collected were from oddball things, I got two from standing up while using an engine hoist and hitting my head on the boom. I could probably get a concussion now from bouncing a tennis ball on my head, and the symptoms would last for a month.