Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
barn32
tmrpots

I Love Nascar

40+ cars traveling at ~200 MPH inches apart...What could possibly go wrong?

I watch it for the wrecks.

barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I read that this is the last restrictor plate race.

Starting next week the cars lose over 200 hp and no longer can go 200mph

We’ll see....... btw, it’s at least 10 yrs too late
Old 02-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #3
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

The wrecks may be exciting, if you're serious, but I'm concerned that more wrecks that come with pack racing and the new package also includes a greater chance for a car being launched into the stands. When cars ride over the top of each other, end over end, the aerodynamic effects might turn them into "flyers". A few have already landed in catch fences. With more pack racing at different tracks, I'm sure there will be more. The idea that a car might go over the catch fence at 150 mph plus is really scary. The fallout from scores of casualties might just break NASCAR.

More commonly, wreck debris (think engine) has already landed in the stands at Daytona with more surely to come. Speaking from experience, I once had the rear wheel from a midget race car land against the seat over my shoulder and I never saw it coming. It was torqued up with a lot of spin and it created a gap between the catch fence and a concrete wall when it came off the car. Fortunately, nobody was sitting behind me.
Augenj is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
headhawg
crusty old guy

I think one of the main reasons for wrecks now is the drivers feel even more invulnerable due to the added safety features (HANS device and others). There have been a lot of bad crashes since the passing of #3 and the drivers have walked away unscathed. And most of the time there's no repercussion for causing crashes. I'm all for safety but it's led to awful racing late, the point where it should be the most exciting.

NASCAR is unwatchable now. Just televise demolition derbies if you like wrecks. Or watch reality tv if you like the soap opera stuff.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
davew

were those cars pushing the ones in front to give them a boost?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
xtb
Ultra MAGA "Gun Bitch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
were those cars pushing the ones in front to give them a boost?
Drafting to get pulled along, sometimes they get too close. One little tap and it's over.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
woodtoo

Any serious injuries?
Old 02-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #8
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
Any serious injuries?
Turned on the TV and the wreck came a second later... but no injuries from it.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:36 AM   #9
Marshall Bennett

I used to love Nascar, now I can't stand it. I did watch the last lap Sunday.
Too many rules changes year after year. Sponsorship dictates a lot of which teams get the best crews. Safety has diminished the thrills in a sport that's suppose to revolve around danger and suspense. Darrell Waltrip always made me cringe with his redneck babbling. I did notice for the first time Jeff Gordon in the booth. That's an added attraction which Nascar sorely needed.
I believe racing in general (Indy, trucks, ect. included) has become a sophisticated form of art rather than the rugged sport it once was. So many numbers, calculations, and strategic manner that many viewers get lost with. The risk factor has been almost eliminated. Huge crashes that appear deadly result largely with bumps and bruises where drivers walk away more angry than hurt.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #10
FakeNameChanged

Back in the mid to late 90's, I worked with an accountant who was an avid fantasy football fan, playing in more than one league. He married a co-worker who's father was a big Nascar fan. The accountant wanted to start his own fantasy football league, but his father-in-law convinced that Nascar fans were as rabid as football fans. So his FIL gave him some start up money and he created a fantasy Nascar thing that took off like a rocket. Within 2 years he quit his job, managing the fantasy thing and after about 5 years sells the whole thing for a huge amount of money. New company hires him to keep running the thing for a couple years. As an accountant, he'd probably be something mid-level by now.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: