Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #91
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Where is the commandment to keep my head covered...? And why don't you wear a head covering also Boxcar? Like the Jews do and the Pope does...?
I do wear a head covering. I call it hair.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #92
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

I thought you would be able to quote the Bible verse right off the top of your head, seeing how you are so well acquainted with every other one...so why do you think God is interested in his chosen wearing little circular hats...? And if this is what God commands, then why don't you wear one also...
Old 02-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #93
dnlgfnk

Boxcar,

I'm not much for sequels, but you're impressing me in Religious II with some uncharacteristic restraint versus you're troll.

Vigors, of course you're queries could be easily researched in the age of the internet as to the relevant biblical verse, or the motivations of various religious traditions regarding head coverings. Perhaps it would help if you backed away from the keyboard for a long stroll, since "all truly great thoughts are conceived by walking". (Friedrich Nietzsche)
Old 02-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #94
dnlgfnk

uh...

"your" troll, "your" queries...

Time for a Labatts Blue just in time for the Bluenote vs. the Hawks.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #95
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
I thought you would be able to quote the Bible verse right off the top of your head, seeing how you are so well acquainted with every other one...so why do you think God is interested in his chosen wearing little circular hats...? And if this is what God commands, then why don't you wear one also...
Because I like cowboy hats? Just sayin...
Old 02-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #96
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
Boxcar,

I'm not much for sequels, but you're impressing me in Religious II with some uncharacteristic restraint versus you're troll.

Vigors, of course you're queries could be easily researched in the age of the internet as to the relevant biblical verse, or the motivations of various religious traditions regarding head coverings. Perhaps it would help if you backed away from the keyboard for a long stroll, since "all truly great thoughts are conceived by walking". (Friedrich Nietzsche)
You're right..... I'm taking a stroll as we speak..."The world is too much with us..."

The World Is Too Much With Us

BY WILLIAM WORDSWORTH

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not. Great God! I’d rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathèd horn.

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 02-26-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #97
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

On Jews wearing hats....

"The Talmud states, "Cover your head in order that the fear of heaven may be upon you."[5] Rabbi Hunah ben Joshua never walked 4 cubits (6.6 feet, or 2 meters) with his head uncovered. He explained: "Because the Divine Presence is always over my head."[6] This was understood by Rabbi Yosef Karo in the Shulchan Arukh as indicating that Jewish men should cover their heads and should not walk more than four cubits bareheaded.[7] Covering one's head, such as by wearing a kippah, is described as "honoring God".[8] The Mishnah Berurah modifies this ruling, adding that the Achronim established it as a requirement to wear a head covering even when traversing fewer than four cubits,[9] and even when one is standing still, indoors and outside.[10] K". Wikipedia
Old 02-26-2017, 07:52 PM   #98
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

WTF is your point...other than more thinly-veiled anti-Semitism?

I could point out about 1000 ridiculous things about every religion...the one you keep citing isn't all that ridiculous compared to some doozies out there...
Old 02-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #99
fast4522

The war on religion is everywhere, today it is this so tomorrow it is that. Holding back a rant because the assault is really on everyone, until the majority of enlightened pinheads change the war continues.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:13 PM   #100
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

I could point out about 1000 ridiculous things about every religion...the one you keep citing isn't all that ridiculous compared to some doozies out there...
This is not a Semite thing, besides nearly all Jews alive today are not blood related Semites....so "anti-Semite" is a real misnomer, for sure...

....this all started with women being forced to wear the hijab at the chess tournament held in Iran.....I think they should wear the dang thing and play chess....after all they are there to play chess, not make a political statement over women's rights....at this point, the women are just grandstanding with a global audience....BUT.....

....it did get me thinking about forced head covering for religious reasons...I learn that in Islamic countries, it is done for the reason of female MODESTY...but for Jew males it is done for FEAR OF GOD....two entirely distinct motivations.....BUT.....

It also got me thinking about possible reasons why God would be interested in any head covering at all, male or female.....?

After I search the mind of God, I could not think of any reason why He would care one way or another....and if God doesn't care.....well, well, why the hell should I.....next time I go to synagogue.... I'll leave my hat at home...

Those are my 2 points....
Old 02-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #101
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

Not only that but the Talmud ain't the bible; yet he's asking me to justify an extra-biblical religious tradition.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:34 PM   #102
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
And I'm not narrow-minded; I'm critical-minded.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #103
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Old 03-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #104
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Manly Hall's Secret Teaching of All the Ages

Interesting read: Enjoy...!

https://archive.org/stream/The_Secre...ge/n0/mode/2up
Old 03-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #105
Greyfox