Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

I submit Chess as a new off topic subject.

Not checkers.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #2
thaskalos

And here is the best chess book for those who have learned the basic moves...and are now looking to take their chess game to the next level.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...t_bibl_vppi_i0
Old 09-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Thanks thaskalos, I'll put you down as a supporter of the idea.

Anna Karenina

One of the best ever written.

Last edited by Buckeye; 09-19-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

This is the free site I play on...sign up and I will play you a game or two...https://lichess.org/

You can even chat while you play...great site always can find a game fast...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 09-19-2018 at 08:42 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
incoming

An excellent free chess computer game at google's app store......The Chess lv. 100
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 10:21 PM   #6
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Used to play in tournaments when I was in High School and a little bit later.

Highest USCF rating was 1781. Currently at 1600 due to inactivity, and I think the last tournament I played in was way back in 1992.

Have not played a casual game in many years, and never played over the internet in the on-line era. While not a high priority, the thought has crossed my mind about renewing my United States Chess Federation membership and going to a tournament or two just to see even if I can hold my own again. One notable difference of now vs. then is that the time control limits are much faster.

Anyone else here have a USCF rating?
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #7
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
This is the free site I play on...sign up and I will play you a game or two...https://lichess.org/

Lichess is awesome. Some really good players hang out there. Humbles me repeadly.

My wife and I hold classes for beginners to intermediate players around the metroplex five evenings a week. Brings in a nice side income. Summer camps and tournaments (3 x per year) it starts to add up. Lot of work but if you're patient with children it's fun and rewarding. As soon as our kids get over 850 or so, we urge the parents to get personal instruction from UTDallas students / players.

If instruction is of interest to anyone here, go for it. We use Think like A King (program) and it's perfect for kids. Somewhat costly at first, but pays for itself quickly if you have access to a recreation center. If your kids learn and have fun, their parents will be the best advertisement possible. Parents are begging us to hold classes in Plano, MCKinney, Frisco, we just can't do it. We're booked solid every night of the week in suburbs with high concentration of Asian Indians (Asians and Hispanics as well... These cultures are so deep into chess it's amazing. You have to know how to motivate kids while keeping it fun)

Last edited by ElKabong; 09-19-2018 at 10:53 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 10:52 PM   #8
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector View Post
Used to play in tournaments when I was in High School and a little bit later.

Highest USCF rating was 1781. Currently at 1600 due to inactivity, and I think the last tournament I played in was way back in 1992.

Have not played a casual game in many years, and never played over the internet in the on-line era. While not a high priority, the thought has crossed my mind about renewing my United States Chess Federation membership and going to a tournament or two just to see even if I can hold my own again. One notable difference of now vs. then is that the time control limits are much faster.

Anyone else here have a USCF rating?
No, not a USCF rating...but I play on Lichess a lot. I play 4 minute games and mostly play white...Get lots of games with 1600 players who mostly whip me pretty good so my own score is around 1200-1300. If I play steady and for longer games I can get up to 1500...but I like the challenge of a fast game with good players...I like to open with Bishop’s opening or some variation of knight, pawn, Bishop...
Old 09-19-2018, 11:13 PM   #9
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Lichess is awesome. Some really good players hang out there. Humbles me repeadly.

My wife and I hold classes for beginners to intermediate players around the metroplex five evenings a week. Brings in a nice side income. Summer camps and tournaments (3 x per year) it starts to add up. Lot of work but if you're patient with children it's fun and rewarding. As soon as our kids get over 850 or so, we urge the parents to get personal instruction from UTDallas students / players.

If instruction is of interest to anyone here, go for it. We use Think like A King (program) and it's perfect for kids. Somewhat costly at first, but pays for itself quickly if you have access to a recreation center. If your kids learn and have fun, their parents will be the best advertisement possible. Parents are begging us to hold classes in Plano, MCKinney, Frisco, we just can't do it. We're booked solid every night of the week in suburbs with high concentration of Asian Indians (Asians and Hispanics as well... These cultures are so deep into chess it's amazing. You have to know how to motivate kids while keeping it fun)
That is so cool...! Perfect thing for young people nowadays...I admire your efforts here
Old 09-19-2018, 11:43 PM   #10
ldiatone

ok

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #11
newtothegame

I am all for it.....
I am not good at all as I have just taken up the game in the last month or so. I play on chess.com (but will look at the one referenced above).
I got interested after watching Agadmator's chess channel on You tube.
He covers a lot of past games and gives thoughts and input.

Following.......
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #12
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

I’m starting to think that winning at chess is more a function of being familiar with all the openings, followed by remembering all the tricks and traps that could result from these distinct openings...

..this leads me to think that chess for many is more “mechanical” than “brilliant”, that less “original thinking” is involved for many players...

..that many good players have simply memorized the numerous variations stemming from these openings BETTER than their counterparts, and that THIS is really the difference between the players...and not that one player is more intelligent.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #13
FakeNameChanged

Quote:

When I first retired, I was on that site an inordinate amount of time.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #14
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Quote:
I’m starting to think that winning at chess is more a function of being familiar with all the openings, followed by remembering all the tricks and traps that could result from these distinct openings...

..this leads me to think that chess for many is more “mechanical” than “brilliant”, that less “original thinking” is involved for many players...

..that many good players have simply memorized the numerous variations stemming from these openings BETTER than their counterparts, and that THIS is really the difference between the players...and not that one player is more intelligent.
I disagree, the key to winning Chess is pattern recognition and calculation.

Rinse, repeat and pay attention to Susan Polgar.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #15
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I disagree, the key to winning Chess is pattern recognition and calculation.

Rinse, repeat and pay attention to Susan Polgar.
What is rinse, repeat..? I’d like to bring my game up a notch but not sure how...what do you think separates average players from good players; and great players from good ones..?

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 09-20-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: