Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 05-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
gillb

Black Magic

Does any one have Black Magic for sale?
Thanks
gillb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Moto Pete

Normally I would say just pay the freight but I've watched Mike's video's and researched the product to some extent and it seems to be way overpriced. It's certainly not for your average handicapper. Black Magic, IMO, is for the serious professional player. I'd like to give it a whirl but not at what he's asking.
Moto Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Pete
Normally I would say just pay the freight but I've watched Mike's video's and researched the product to some extent and it seems to be way overpriced. It's certainly not for your average handicapper. Black Magic, IMO, is for the serious professional player. I'd like to give it a whirl but not at what he's asking.
Is Black Magic that much different than the basic Sartin Methodology? Mike was part of the Sartin group, and his book Handicapping Magic is a paper and pencil system based on some of the Sartin principles.

If Black Magic is essentially Sartin, there are a lot cheaper ways to get into it.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
Moto Pete

I don't know that much about the program. It seems Mike has added some bells and whistles to the basic methodology. We need some users to chime in here.
Moto Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

Preakness Analysis

This may help...

http://posttimedaily.com/10821/
Old 05-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
beefas

Thks pic six!..
beefas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Thanks for that link. Interesting. I agree with some of his assumptions, but not with all of his methodology. His pick for the Derby sure was well out of the money.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #8
Appy

BM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinBilly
Thanks for that link. Interesting. I agree with some of his assumptions, but not with all of his methodology. His pick for the Derby sure was well out of the money.
Chrome won and was top line in BM according to the video he sent out pre-race.

If you pick one race to decide if a software product is good or not they will all be failures.

To the person interested in buying BM used, I would recommend not attempting it as the program will not work without a usb key which is non-transferable without purchasing a license of your own. I hear that can be very costly.

Last edited by Appy; 05-16-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Appy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2014, 12:36 AM   #9
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appy
Chrome won and was top line in BM according to the video he sent out pre-race.

If you pick one race to decide if a software product is good or not they will all be failures.
Did you watch the referenced video on this thread? I am not referencing the efficiency of the software pick - as most would obviously put Chrome at the top or near the top of a pick for the Derby. In the referenced Video, Micheal said he bet Gen A Rod in the Derby, whom finished 11th. I'd say that was well out of the money, wouldn't you?
Old 05-17-2014, 01:02 AM   #10
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Did you watch the referenced video on this thread? I am not referencing the efficiency of the software pick - as most would obviously put Chrome at the top or near the top of a pick for the Derby. In the referenced Video, Micheal said he bet Gen A Rod in the Derby, whom finished 11th. I'd say that was well out of the money, wouldn't you?
Sure it was, but that was a value play. When your betting value horses that will happen. I'm sure that was nothing more than a recreational bet anyway.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2014, 01:05 AM   #11
dannyhill

Quote:
General had a horrible trip in the Derby. Not fair to judge him based on the 11th place finish. IMO
dannyhill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Agreed.

Same with Wicked. That horse (whom I had my straight up bet on) ran like a champ but the best he could do is come in 4th. Guys, we all know horses can get a good or bad trip. That's not new to the sport. I was simply making an OBSERVATION of Michael's pick. We all try and find value.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #13
acorn54

here's my two cents on blam.
i was the owner of blam for about a month and then sold it, not because it was an inferior software product but because i have a good "set-up" without it, and was just curious to see what it could do for my game. i agree with the poster that said it is way overpriced, if money is a concern for you, i don't know.
it features a pretty good odds line imo, however my one month trial suggested just sticking to longshot overlays according to the program would give you some very long string of losers and would make betting any significant money on each wager a high risk of ruin, unless you have a bankroll in the thousand of dollars.
also in that one month trial period i did a workout of the "high pressured races", that the program recognizes and bet the closer that the program suggested in those type of races. i was unimpressed. those two features of blam, the odds line generated by the program, and the high pressure races that the program recognizes were the two most interesting and enticing reasons i purchased the program.
of course a one month trial period is a grain of sand in time, but like i said, weighing pros and cons FOR ME, i'll stick with my present set up.
hope this helps.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #14
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

I have watched many of his recent "Rants" and the software is top notch, but then several others are too. IMO, the price is way out there, but then lots of other software is too, it's the nature of our world, those who can afford much more will buy it simply because they can, and it has some really nice bells and whistles.

Regarding Michael's personal picks, if you have seen enough of his videos you will see that the man accurately weighs the value betting opportunities in races. He demands high value before betting, not just decent value. He looks at many, many races per day and picks and chooses his premium wagering situations wisely, IMO. In most of the big races he only places "recreational" bets, ie: low dollar bets.

As he says: "Let the bet make you".

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #15
Vinnie

One thing has always stuck with me from Mr. Pizzola. I believe that it goes something like this.

Some will (run like you project and expect)
Some won't (run as you have predicted basically)
So What?
NEXT!!! (On to the next race). I always loved that. I believe that it was Mr. Pizzola who is credited with saying such a thing.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka

Last edited by Vinnie; 05-19-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply