Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-27-2023, 08:28 AM   #1
timtam

Does Anyone Play Show Anymore ?

Several years ago a site showbettor.com produced a website where they special

ized in making $200 a day on show bets. As they got into the method they

actually had selections by the day to make you acquired goal. The selections

lasted about 2 months then they totally disappeared. Does anyone make show

bets anymore? The list of rules for the above site were things like 1. 7 horses

or better per race. 2. finished in the money 50% of the time 3. no horse bet

over 5 to 1 . things like that . Can or does anybody bet strictly to show

anymore? Making $200 a day on show betting is the goal. I don't see many

show bettors if any at the OTB I go to. Show betting for profit = ????
timtam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2023, 10:29 AM   #2
davew

they are still there selling their 'method'

I will place bets when there is a vulnerable bridge jumper that I see.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2023, 11:33 AM   #3
pandy

The best chance you'd have of showing a profit on show bets would be show parlays. It isn't that hard to hit four or five straight show bets. Without parlays, it's very tough because you can hit ten show bets in a row then lose two and your profit is gone.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2023, 12:38 PM   #4
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
The best chance you'd have of showing a profit on show bets would be show parlays. It isn't that hard to hit four or five straight show bets. Without parlays, it's very tough because you can hit ten show bets in a row then lose two and your profit is gone.
I love a show parlay on a quiet Friday afternoon/evening, including AUS racing.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2023, 01:51 PM   #5
Scamper

Show bets are good for insurance only ... can't make
any profit off of them
Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2023, 02:10 PM   #6
Light
Veteran

You only need a two horse parlay to make money in show betting. Find 2 horses per day that will pay 2.40 and 2.60 or above. That's a 50% ROI minimum if it hits. You're done. 95% of players everyday wish they made that ROI because they didn't with their more "respectable" bets while continuing to scoff at show betting.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2023, 02:11 PM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Arrow

Even if I spot a favorite who I think will pay $2.60 and that I know to be as good as a $2.20 horse, it still comes back to requiring me to bet a lot to win a little.

That's not a good proposition for me.

If I bet $10, i get $3 profit on a winner.

It's tempting to bet $1000 and win $300, but that is how you put yourself in the hole.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:14 PM   #8
ranchwest

If it looks like there's enough money in it, I'm in. I've hit show bets as high as $28.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:17 PM   #9
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper View Post
Show bets are good for insurance only ... can't make
any profit off of them
If someone needs an "insurance" bet they don't know how to wager properly.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:20 PM   #10
wisconsin

Nothing wrong with a nice profit on a parlay even if they both pay 2.80 or whatever. An old racetrack acquaintance who used to bet short priced horses used to say "You can't get that at a bank".

Sure beats losing.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:37 PM   #11
kyle r

I’m a former winner of Showvivor at SA. I’ve led late on another occasion. And in the current contest I’m one of 19 people to be perfect through 12 days. So, I’m pretty good at identifying mostly short priced horses who will hit the board and I can string a streak together (I think my winning streak was 24 or 25 days). I’ve obviously considered the merits of show betting. The thing is, in all but the short run, it never outperforms win betting on the same horses. If you’re a novice trying to learn the game while honing your handicapping, betting to win/place (which will also underperform just win betting but not as badly) is the better option. At least what you give up in ROI might be offset somewhat by helping you work through some of the psychological aspects of betting on horses. If you’re a more experienced player who seeks action and has been consistently wasting money betting the more difficult multi-leg wagers, maybe you can make a case for the extended show parlay as a replacement. It can give you the same type of action, you get to pick your own races and you might end up churning more and increase your rebate on some ADWs.
kyle r is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2023, 03:05 PM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Nothing wrong with a nice profit on a parlay even if they both pay 2.80 or whatever. An old racetrack acquaintance who used to bet short priced horses used to say "You can't get that at a bank".

Sure beats losing.
I'm open to this, but would be interesting to try to find a few races
-1st see how well we predict $2.80
2nd - if we pass #1 , then what kind of win odds and odds rank are paying $2.80
3rd - see if i can beat you with Trifectas rather than show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle r View Post
I’m a former winner of Showvivor at SA. I’ve led late on another occasion. And in the current contest I’m one of 19 people to be perfect through 12 days. So, I’m pretty good at identifying mostly short priced horses who will hit the board and I can string a streak together (I think my winning streak was 24 or 25 days). I’ve obviously considered the merits of show betting. The thing is, in all but the short run, it never outperforms win betting on the same horses. If you’re a novice trying to learn the game while honing your handicapping, betting to win/place (which will also underperform just win betting but not as badly) is the better option. At least what you give up in ROI might be offset somewhat by helping you work through some of the psychological aspects of betting on horses. If you’re a more experienced player who seeks action and has been consistently wasting money betting the more difficult multi-leg wagers, maybe you can make a case for the extended show parlay as a replacement. It can give you the same type of action, you get to pick your own races and you might end up churning more and increase your rebate on some ADWs.
Very nice
Old 01-27-2023, 03:09 PM   #13
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post

Are there sites that allows show parlays? Back when I played them it was on track or OTB only, X-Press and TVG did not offer them.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2023, 03:11 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle r View Post

By a 24-25 day streak how many races was that? Back when I played WPS
parlays I just played one day's whole card. Not in a contest I used a punch ticket.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2023, 03:12 PM   #15
Light
Veteran

My main knock with show bets is that sometimes you are more right than wrong. My last 2 show bets paid $8 and just now $7.60 (6th Lrl) but both horses won. They paid $46 and $31.

But if I am being honest with myself, I liked their chances to hit the board, not to win. If I had liked their chances to win I would have bet them to win as well. Many times that is where we give up show betting and chase, and ultimately lose in the long run. I've learned that lesson so I don't get that upset when it happens anymore.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply