Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-12-2022, 02:30 PM   #1
1st time lasix

Medium pick five payouts….

Curious——Wonder if any of the stat guys here are aware of medium… average payouts for popular fifty cent pick fives at major tracks in Florida,…. NY…. And Kentucky I have my own personal experience and player bias…..but wonder if there is any empirical data? Also- wonder- if heavy favorites that get beat early or late in sequence may skew overlay “will pays.” Thanks in advance for any educated opinions.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2022, 09:01 AM   #2
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix View Post
Also- wonder- if heavy favorites that get beat early or late in sequence may skew overlay “will pays.” Thanks in advance for any educated opinions.
The earlier a favorite, especially a heavy one, gets knocked-out, the better. Conversely, in a middle leg, a high morning line horse that is on your ticket that gets bet down and wins is also a bonus.
Old 12-15-2022, 07:48 AM   #3
deelo

So I've often thought about this many times and asked several different players their opinion. Collectively, I've gotten two completely opposite sides of the spectrum for answers.

#1 Players wanna be live. They start with Leg 1 wanting to cover all logical contenders but due to budget constraints, end up too skinny in the last legs. Therefore, catching a price in Leg 5 pays better.

#2 Players wanna be live...but when starting with Leg 1 they already know in their head they have those budget constraints as well as how sick the feeling is to sweat out the last half of a sequence when you know you aren't as deep as you want to be so they'd much rather sweat the first half of sequence. They force themselves to go skinny in the first legs so they can relax and start spreading near the end. Therefore, catching a price in Leg 1 pays better.

So basically...which of these pays better?
#1 2/1 4/1 4/1 4/1 15/1
#2 15/1 4/1 4/1 4/1 2/1

Haven't been able to find any hard/reliable data on who's right.
Old 12-15-2022, 09:47 PM   #4
1st time lasix

IMO:The experienced pick five players …and the algorithm money has made it more difficult to get a juicy overlay payout. However I find that if I can somehow find a double digit odds winner anywhere in the sequence that “ separates”….And ….having a vulnerable heavily bet odds lose ( particularly early) ….gets a payout $ near a grand In order to get over 2 grand- at least two odds on favorites have to miss. I try to either omit the chalk in leg one or leg two. Of course with five races there are plenty of bad beats… bad rides…and bad luck. I assume that many player hedge the back-end of this multi- race wagers. I’ve read that is a bad strategy ……but I tend to do it if I have already caught a price.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2022, 07:08 PM   #5
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelo View Post
So I've often thought about this many times and asked several different players their opinion. Collectively, I've gotten two completely opposite sides of the spectrum for answers.

#1 Players wanna be live. They start with Leg 1 wanting to cover all logical contenders but due to budget constraints, end up too skinny in the last legs. Therefore, catching a price in Leg 5 pays better.

#2 Players wanna be live...but when starting with Leg 1 they already know in their head they have those budget constraints as well as how sick the feeling is to sweat out the last half of a sequence when you know you aren't as deep as you want to be so they'd much rather sweat the first half of sequence. They force themselves to go skinny in the first legs so they can relax and start spreading near the end. Therefore, catching a price in Leg 1 pays better.

So basically...which of these pays better?
#1 2/1 4/1 4/1 4/1 15/1
#2 15/1 4/1 4/1 4/1 2/1

Haven't been able to find any hard/reliable data on who's right.
I don't have any idea how you'd prove something so specific, so there probably isn't going to be data that conclusively answers your question.

I think that both situations you mentioned are likely to lead to lower payoffs in general because that's when people key---they like to start with something they're confident in, or they want to be alive so they spread early and narrow the ticket late. It's probably not so significant as to matter though to where I would factor it into my play (because there are such a wide range of possible outcomes). I would key what I had confidence in and not worry about the leg.

As 1st Lasix said, the real key is beating one heavy favorite. If you can beat two, you're going to do very well. It's not the 5-2 winners that suck up the pool as much as those 4-5 sure things that everyone has. If you can beat those, then you've got something going.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply