Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-20-2023, 02:24 AM   #1
PalaceOfFortLarned

2023 G1 Haskell

Post Positions drawn and MLs available.

While just a field of 8, it is an intriguing field.

Geaux Rocket Ride 9/2
Awesome Strong 30/1
Salute the Stars 8/1
Mage 3/1
Tapit Trice 3/1
Howgreatisnate 20/1
Extra Anejo 5/1
Arabian Knight 5/2

Has a little bit of everything. Big time trainers in Mandella, Pletcher, Asmussen, Cox, and Baffert. The Kentucky Derby winner. Fellow G1 winner Tapit Trice who was 2nd choice in the KY Derby. A number of up and comers like Baffert's lightly raced, but undefeated Arabian Knight, Asmussen's Extra Anejo, and the fastly improving Cox trainee Salute the Stars who took down Kingsbarns over this very Monmouth track last month.

Deep enough field in which the Kentucky Derby winner could well end up 3rd favorite come post time (although not very likely).
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2023, 11:09 AM   #2
classhandicapper

It's a more interesting and bettable race than I was expecting. Good card.
Old 07-20-2023, 01:32 PM   #3
Geno_Gino

I agree. Great betting race. I like the 1, 7, 8 box for exacta and trifecta and will bet #7 to win.

Good luck everyone if you're wagering!
Geno_Gino is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2023, 05:37 PM   #4
GMB@BP

Baffert
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2023, 05:54 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2023, 04:29 PM   #6
zico20

Arabian Knight is supposed to be a world beater. Everyone who loves horse racing better pray he loses because if he sweeps the Haskell, Travers and BC Classic it will be a five race career and then off to the breeding shed. Horse racing can't afford to have stars retiring so soon. The older horses this year aren't very good so there isn't much to get excited about.

If Arabian Knight doesn't win it is either Mage or Tapit Trice, the others simply aren't in the same class as these two right now.
Old 07-21-2023, 07:31 PM   #7
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
Arabian Knight is supposed to be a world beater. Everyone who loves horse racing better pray he loses because if he sweeps the Haskell, Travers and BC Classic it will be a five race career and then off to the breeding shed. Horse racing can't afford to have stars retiring so soon. The older horses this year aren't very good so there isn't much to get excited about.

If Arabian Knight doesn't win it is either Mage or Tapit Trice, the others simply aren't in the same class as these two right now.
Well, as is often the case Zico, you are out of touch. (not to be confused with your fine pick in the Derby)

Looks to me like a two horse race, Salute the Stars or your Derby pick Mage. Arabian Knight may be a world beater, he may be a $15K claimer - with two starts, who knows? Either way, in this spot he's the horse to bet against. Whether he wins or loses, Baffert is not known for prolonging the careers of his charges. The older horse division isn't much, but the three year olds haven't really sorted themselves out yet, either.

Interesting race. Thanks for the analysis video, CJ. Mage using the Haskell as a prep for the Travers is kind of interesting. Hard to figure how wound up he'll be, so I'll be leaning for the Salute the Stars to be tough here.

"cold" super high six, as in you can't cash it after the race....

Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2023, 09:58 PM   #8
burnsy
self medicated

I agree with Pirate on the Lion . Gotta see the real odds but as a fave, no way. No races for 5 months, 2 races , Really beat no one yet . If anyone can win this race it’s Baffert but this horse is an unknown. Plus, if the preview is correct and Mage gets a target pace he’s tough here . And Salute The Stars does look interesting too. after seeing the Curlin today it just muddled it more . These up and coming , new shooters may have a good shot . Scotland just made Blazing Sevens look slow .
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2023, 10:03 PM   #9
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I agree with Pirate on the Lion . Gotta see the real odds but as a fave, no way. No races for 5 months, 2 races , Really beat no one yet . If anyone can win this race it’s Baffert but this horse is an unknown. Plus, if the preview is correct and Mage gets a target pace he’s tough here . And Salute The Stars does look interesting too. after seeing the Curlin today it just muddled it more . These up and coming , new shooters may have a good shot . Scotland just made Blazing Sevens look slow .
Not sure we've seen the best much less the bottom of some of these 3YOs yet.

Salute the Stars flashes for me with his late win against a legitimate KY Derby horse loose and strolling to a win.

Strong field. This will be fun one.
Old 07-21-2023, 10:10 PM   #10
burnsy
self medicated

Agreed, more on the line this year . Haskell and Travers are going to be big . So far the competition has been pretty even . No clear dominance.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2023, 09:24 AM   #11
PalaceOfFortLarned

Tough to beat CJ and Dave's thoughts, and I wholeheartedly agree on most.

My humble thoughts:

Geaux Rocket Ride: Papa Mandella ships from the Left Coast and brings Mike Smith with him. He isn't shipping for Place money, and this one has to be respected. Late pace figs are lacking and likely won't get the lead. Wouldn't be a shocker, but prefer others.

Awesome Strong: Is this the rabbit for Mage?

Salute the Stars: Came from downtown to beat Kingsbarns in the Pegasus. 2 for 2 in '23 and a serious contender. 8/1 ML can't be real.

Mage: My beloved KY Derby winner is back. This G1 is supposedly a prep for the Travers. Was a bit short in the Preakness after his great set up in the Derby. Very talented horse that isn't always ready for prime time. Gotta play against today.

Tapit Trice:
Looks like this years version of Tacitus. Always puts up good numbers, but never wins against the best of his peers. Maybe my big EX wager with Arc and him in the Belmont has soured me a bit.

Howgreatisnate:
5 for 8 has been great for Nate thus far. Looks to be in very deep waters here, but don't mind the connections taking a swing here, and could pick up some pieces.

Extra Anejo: Maybe the biggest question mark in the field. Has been dead ass chalk every race thus far and is off a blowout win for a $1.35M purchase. Could be anything. Solid works coming in. Could be ready for this major step up in class.

Arabian Knight: May was well call this the Baffert as he simply owns this race and brings in a lightly raced, but undefeated colt. Nobody will be surprised if this one takes them gate to wire. However, Baffert stats in stakes races off of a layoff aren't great. I'll be looking to play against what will likely be the favorite.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:27 AM   #12
classhandicapper

If they make Arabian Knight a solid favorite, I'll probably feel compelled to play against him off the long layoff against a field of this quality in a race where he'll probably have to earn the lead or rate just off it.

The argument in his favor is that his figures last year and in January put him in the thick of this race. There's a lot of potential improvement between January and now. He's also working like a much improved horse. So it's not like those against him would necessarily be playing against a horse that's being overrated. He may just be better than these and win even at 90%-95%. I think you have to hope he's very over bet because of Baffert, take your swing, and if he beats you tip your hat.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 07-22-2023 at 10:30 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2023, 05:19 PM   #13
Onesome

/ pour moi
Onesome is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2023, 05:52 PM   #14
PalaceOfFortLarned

Papa Mandella with the win.

This 3YO division is now really interesting.
Old 07-22-2023, 05:54 PM   #15
MJC922

Shame to get 4-1 on Mage and get turned away by that on the rally.