Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-20-2022, 08:23 AM   #31
tholl

Looks like Cyberknife is goining in the Dirt Mile. Good move I think.
tholl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2022, 08:44 AM   #32
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholl View Post
Looks like Cyberknife is goining in the Dirt Mile. Good move I think.
Excellent move. Not sure if he has a shot. But he certainly had none in the Classic.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:10 PM   #33
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

The Mile is a consolation race and should be scrapped, sent to the Friday card or before the “championship” races on Saturday.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2022, 02:48 PM   #34
classhandicapper

I know everyone hates the BC Dirt Mile, but these are the graded stakes dirt miles races for males (with a sample of at least 5 races) in recent years. Based on average Beyer figure, the BC Dirt Mile is the 2nd highest quality mile race on dirt behind the Metropolitan (ahead of the Cigar) and the 2nd highest on a computer calculated Class rating that takes into account who was in the field. So it's not like it isn't a high quality race on average.

Attached Images
File Type: png Mile.PNG (33.0 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by classhandicapper; 10-20-2022 at 02:50 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2022, 03:11 PM   #35
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I know everyone hates the BC Dirt Mile, but these are the graded stakes dirt miles races for males (with a sample of at least 5 races) in recent years. Based on average Beyer figure, the BC Dirt Mile is the 2nd highest quality mile race on dirt behind the Metropolitan (ahead of the Cigar) and the 2nd highest on a computer calculated Class rating that takes into account who was in the field. So it's not like it isn't a high quality race on average.
Isn't that skewed by the fact it's so late in the year and the fact that so few horses are truly bred to go longer than a mile these days (if "these days" is the last 20 years)?
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2022, 03:25 PM   #36
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Thanks for the work. I don't know about others here, but my only "hate" for the Dirt Mile is that it draws away some possibly interesting horses from the Classic. I respect a good miler - Dr. Fager was a legendary world record holder at a mile, but he admittedly proved his chops at other distances too.

In this day and breeding age, I wonder if the true "Classic" distance is now 1 1/8 miles. Seems like that might be the sweet spot for the top horses to mix it up given modern breeding trends. Not saying it is good or bad - just an acknowledgment of how the sport has changed over the decades.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2022, 03:36 PM   #37
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
I'm in your corner on this.
Folks hate on the Dirt Mile, but there's a huge difference between 1m and 1m1/4.
In Europe they have distinct distance divisions (milers being one of them).

The only reason the Dirt Mile poaches from the Classic is because we've had a thin division of 10f runners here for years. Milers had to either go 6f or 10f....they deserve a race at 8f.
Old 10-20-2022, 03:51 PM   #38
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
I'm in your corner on this.
Folks hate on the Dirt Mile, but there's a huge difference between 1m and 1m1/4.
In Europe they have distinct distance divisions (milers being one of them).

The only reason the Dirt Mile poaches from the Classic is because we've had a thin division of 10f runners here for years. Milers had to either go 6f or 10f....they deserve a race at 8f.
But we don't have a mile division here. The BC Dirt Mile has been around for a while now and it hasn't helped create one. There are three races that matter at one mile, and the two best ones are always around one turn at Belmont. I guess it will be Aqueduct this year but still one turn.

That is a big part of the problem. Two turn miles are not always true tests due to track layout and post position. We only really have a few tracks that can run the one turn miles now, and for whatever reason Churchill doesn't have any top races at the distance.

This lack of a mile division has led to what is happening now, top horses dropping down to cherry pick a much easier race.

Last edited by cj; 10-20-2022 at 03:54 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2022, 04:56 PM   #39
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Would you rather watch a mile race at Kee or Belmont? One turn makes it a "classic" race, two makes it filler.
Old 10-20-2022, 04:58 PM   #40
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
But we don't have a mile division here. The BC Dirt Mile has been around for a while now and it hasn't helped create one. There are three races that matter at one mile, and the two best ones are always around one turn at Belmont. I guess it will be Aqueduct this year but still one turn.

That is a big part of the problem. Two turn miles are not always true tests due to track layout and post position. We only really have a few tracks that can run the one turn miles now, and for whatever reason Churchill doesn't have any top races at the distance.

This lack of a mile division has led to what is happening now, top horses dropping down to cherry pick a much easier race.
The Cigar Mile has always been at Aqueduct.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2022, 05:01 PM   #41
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
The Cigar Mile has always been at Aqueduct.
Oh yeah, doh!
Old 10-20-2022, 05:06 PM   #42
the little guy

Quote:
Oh yeah, doh!
I'm reading a book on Skill vs Luck ( The Success Equation....highly recommended ) and I'm reading a part at how our brains deteriorate over time:-)
Old 10-20-2022, 05:09 PM   #43
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I'm reading a book on Skill vs Luck ( The Success Equation....highly recommended ) and I'm reading a part at how our brains deteriorate over time:-)
I blame NYRA's meet naming in this case.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:10 PM   #44
the little guy

Quote:
I blame NYRA's meet naming in this case.
For your brain deteriorating?
Old 10-20-2022, 05:10 PM   #45
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
For your brain deteriorating?
Yes. Do you know how much extra coding that caused?

Hopefully I mostly forget the stuff that doesn't matter much first.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: