Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 10-05-2023, 08:34 PM   #1
wiretowire68

Importing or creating a template

I was wondering and this is not a shot at Dave or Pace Handicapping but I can not believe anyone who is a handicapper, particularly a spreadsheet or computer software handicapper has not been able to insert a pdf(converted to csv) then imported to a spreadsheet the way Raybo did with Excel. I have been searching for anybody who could give me a code that I could type in either python or through App Scripts that would allow a user to be able to do this as is without the symbols or parsing. It is like no one what's to either share their information without having some internet person or IT who wants dollars to write this code. I get it.... The reason I ask, is I would love to construct a similar style that is used by Valuecapper where the form cycle window can be used in a separate folder and to be able to pull up a horse pp's while you are analyzing data in the spreadsheet behind....
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2023, 09:31 PM   #2
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
I was wondering and this is not a shot at Dave or Pace Handicapping but I can not believe anyone who is a handicapper, particularly a spreadsheet or computer software handicapper has not been able to insert a pdf(converted to csv) then imported to a spreadsheet the way Raybo did with Excel. I have been searching for anybody who could give me a code that I could type in either python or through App Scripts that would allow a user to be able to do this as is without the symbols or parsing. It is like no one what's to either share their information without having some internet person or IT who wants dollars to write this code. I get it.... The reason I ask, is I would love to construct a similar style that is used by Valuecapper where the form cycle window can be used in a separate folder and to be able to pull up a horse pp's while you are analyzing data in the spreadsheet behind....
Your up against it here.....lost cause

Last edited by Saratoga; 10-05-2023 at 09:43 PM.
Saratoga is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2023, 09:53 PM   #3
wiretowire68

Yep

seems that way.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:59 PM   #4
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
then imported to a spreadsheet the way Raybo did with Excel.
Raybo passed in sept of 2018, yet you signed up in 2020...Third time you've brought up his name in threads started by you....What was your previous posting name?

I would prefer that you not bring up his name again...It didn't end well.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2023, 10:10 PM   #5
Dave Schwartz

Why don't you give this tool a try.

If you can get it to work on the files you're speaking of, I'll be shocked.

Adobe: Export PDFs to PowerPoint
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2023, 10:33 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga View Post
Your up against it here.....lost cause
what does this mean?
Old 10-06-2023, 12:26 PM   #7
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
what does this mean?
converting a pdf to something useful..sir
Old 10-07-2023, 02:40 PM   #8
wiretowire68

I said his name because I thought he was one of the nicest person I have ever met in terms of his helping of others.........
Old 10-09-2023, 07:00 PM   #9
wiretowire68

I have no problem converting the pdf files to CSV file. It is the symbols in the pp running lines do not use regular numbers because of the length symbols right beside the actual # lengths. i.e.. 2C: 3 1/2 . When converted from pdf to csv.. I import into spreadsheet and the example comes up symbols. Otherwise, separating takes some work but pretty sure it needs either python or old C or visual basic ..
Old 10-09-2023, 09:10 PM   #10
Ted

If the symbol is 3 1/2 I do not know how to help you. If it is the number 3 followed by the character 1/2 this link should give you a start as to how to convert 3 1/2 to 3.5 lengths. https://exceljet.net/functions/code-function Hope it helps.
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2023, 09:42 PM   #11
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I have no problem converting the pdf files to CSV file. It is the symbols in the pp running lines do not use regular numbers because of the length symbols right beside the actual # lengths. i.e.. 2C: 3 1/2 . When converted from pdf to csv.. I import into spreadsheet and the example comes up symbols. Otherwise, separating takes some work but pretty sure it needs either python or old C or visual basic ..
Is it a graphic?
Old 10-10-2023, 07:51 PM   #12
vegasone

If I remember correctly, PDF files contain a conversion list that helps convert certain coded symbols into printable characters such as 1/2, 1/4 etc. You would need to find the dictionary inherent to the file to be able to convert the code into the correct character. 1/2 is a full character just like an "a", "b", "1" etc. Good luck!! It is doable but takes a lot of effort.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2023, 06:23 AM   #13
sjk

I parsed charts for 10 years or so when they were text. When they changed to pdf I had no idea how to parse them and always figured that it would be hard to distinguish 1-11 from 11-1 even if I could.

I have been buying the data from HDW since (18 years I think) and it is much quicker than line by line, track by track so they may have done me a favor.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2023, 06:55 AM   #14
Dave Schwartz

A simple question:

Why not just start with a CSV file and suck that into Excel?

Then you can move the data around within Excel to do whatever you want with it.

Yes, I know that the Excel work will be difficult, but why start with a PDF? That just adds a step to the process.
Old 10-11-2023, 12:02 PM   #15
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
A simple question:

Why not just start with a CSV file and suck that into Excel?

Then you can move the data around within Excel to do whatever you want with it.

Yes, I know that the Excel work will be difficult, but why start with a PDF? That just adds a step to the process.

I believe OP is looking for cheapest way out using something like the free PP's Twinspires give you when you bet that track...

A csv file costs money...

I could be wrong but I'd venture into this stuff many times in the past and found it futile in todays market

Last edited by Saratoga; 10-11-2023 at 12:04 PM.