Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 08-20-2023, 02:03 AM   #16
xtb

Can you plug headphones in to see if the headphone jack works?
Old 08-20-2023, 07:05 AM   #17
OverlayHunter

xtb, thank you for the idea, it was definitely worth a try. Unfortunately, nothing. Even the volume controls still don't work.
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2023, 08:18 AM   #18
davew

I few months ago I lost sound for a day ... it came back the next morning after an automatic microsoft update .... I suspect they made changes the day before that caused problem and then next day they fixed it
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2023, 08:38 AM   #19
OverlayHunter

davew, thank you. I actually ran into a mention of that issue and considered it but I'm always aware of all of my updates and my last Windows update preceded my problem by about a week, perhaps longer, and there were no subsequent updates following that one. Good observation and helpful suggestion but, unfortunately, not the problem.

I don't have much hope but tonight or tomorrow I'm going to "upgrade" to Windows 11 and see if that helps.
Old 08-20-2023, 10:59 AM   #20
vegasone

All that could mean is that it may be a different sound chip such as Realtek, etc. Can't tell without knowing for sure for your model laptop. I have run into similar problems on other systems and I did have to reinstall drivers manually several times (from the chip set update) and check to make sure the settings were correct afterward.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2023, 12:20 PM   #21
JustRalph
Just another Facist

How do I find recently modified files in Windows 10?

File Explorer has a convenient way to search recently modified files built right into the “Search” tab on the Ribbon. Switch to the “Search” tab, click the “Date Modified” button, and then select a range. If you don't see the “Search” tab, click once in the search box and it should appear.

I might run this and see if anything is obvious.

Sometimes new installs will over-write a file and use the same name…..but leave “their” version on the system when un-installed

If you find left-over or changed files by those programs, you can rename them with the .xxx suffix or “.old” and reboot the system and windows may replace the files with the original…which can fix the problem.

If you’re deleting the sound card completely are you getting any “found hardware” messages etc? Windows 10 normally doesn’t do that anymore but sometimes it will flash quickly at the top of the screen anyway.

Make sure your sound car has not been turned off in the bios (you never know with rogue software)
Old 08-20-2023, 02:36 PM   #22
zerosky

I've had sound issues in the past that drove me nuts.
The best solution I found was to uninstall all sound drivers, reboot and let windows put its default drivers in place.
Then if the sounds are back reinstall any newer drivers you have.
You need to uninstall and not just disable.
zerosky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2023, 04:17 PM   #23
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosky View Post
I've had sound issues in the past that drove me nuts.
The best solution I found was to uninstall all sound drivers, reboot and let windows put its default drivers in place.
Then if the sounds are back reinstall any newer drivers you have.
You need to uninstall and not just disable.
definitely try this

Although, it sounds like his system is reporting absolutely no sound hardware under device manager (Sound, video and game controllers)?
Old 08-20-2023, 05:30 PM   #24
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I lose sound every month or so.
I go to Settings>System>Sound>Troubleshoot
I answer yes to allow automated diagnostics, then when asked
to aloow the fis, yes.

You have to restart youe machine to take effect .
Shut dow the restart won't work - select Restar.

Works every time, takes 5-6 minutes.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:09 PM   #25
OverlayHunter

vegasone,

Thank you again, I'm pretty sure it is Intel drivers that I need but I also see a mention of Realtek. Do I also need to check there? Please see attached.

Attached Images
File Type: png Audio.png (8.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-20-2023, 08:48 PM   #26
OverlayHunter

Just Ralph, PA, Tom, and zerosky, thank you for the additional ideas. They are definitely worth trying. It will take some research to try them but I will do that research. I should be able to work on your suggestions tomorrow afternoon or evening. Unfortunately, I've had commitments this evening and even more tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2023, 10:04 PM   #27
vegasone

The answer is YES. Realtek has a driver install program I believe.... Computers can sure be frustrating!!!
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2023, 10:09 AM   #28
OverlayHunter

Question From Bad to Worse

Last night I started with vegasone’s Realtek comment and though there was one update, there was also a caution to not use it unless the computer manufacturer’s site also showed the need for an updated driver. The manufacturer said I had no need.

Then the fun began. I noticed my battery meter was a lot lower than it should have been. 3 outlets on 3 different circuits using 2 different chargers has convinced me the machine will not accept a charge. Never had a problem in the past. Haven’t dropped it, bumped it, or spilled liquid on it. I’m pretty sure it’s time for a new machine.

To all of you who have tried to help me, a very big ‘thank you’, your efforts are greatly appreciated. I hope I can repay you sometime. My expertise is in residential real estate having been an investor and landlord for over thirty years. I also have a large database of handicapping data.
Old 08-22-2023, 12:05 PM   #29
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
The answer is YES. Realtek has a driver install program I believe.... Computers can sure be frustrating!!!

That is a fact Jack. I have some I need to deal with. Mine is going to be configuring a new wireless internet provider, and I think my USB dongle isn't the greatest and also might have computer issues as tethering does not solve the problem.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2023, 01:07 PM   #30
tupper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter View Post
I’m pretty sure it’s time for a new machine.
Again (and before you get a new computer), simply boot a Linux live USB or live DVD.

Doing so will very quickly give useful information about the state of your hardware. For instance, if the live OS boots and the audio works and the battery charges, you immediately know that the problem is with your software -- not a problem with your hardware!

There are countless tutorials online on how to make and boot a Linux live USB/DVD. It's easy. In Windows, it might be best to use the Rufus program, but Ventoy has become popular recently.
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply