Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #1
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

World War II Museum (New Orleans)

Had a friend in from out of town who had never been there...took her and the two boys yesterday.
A trip to NOLA is worth it for this place alone.
It began as the D-Day Museum and has expanded to cover the whole American involvement in the war, including Pearl Harbor and the ensuing war in the Pacific.
Besides the usual museum pieces (which are impressive in their own right) of uniforms, jeeps, equipment, arms, cannons, fighter planes etc...their is a vast array of maps that spell out the road to Berlin and the road to Tokyo, with countless first hand accounts by soldiers & officers on all sides of the conflict. Mainly American accounts (as it should be!) but there are stories from the Germans and Japanese also.
The best experience was a short movie titled Beyond All Boundaries, narrated by Tom Hanks (a huge supporter of the museum) which is a brief synopsis of our involvement from start to the surrender of Germany & Japan. It's in 4D and was an all encompassing journey. Our seats rumbled and shook, it "snowed" in the theater, got "smoky" from exploding bombs...we were in the jungles of Guadalcanal, in the air above Midway, in a liberated concentration camp, and on the beaches of Normandy.
What a truly moving experience!
By the end i was nearly in tears...the final moments are a moving recognition of the tremendous sacrifice our country made, at home and abroad. I recommend everyone have this experience.
They truly were the greatest generation.
God Bless America
Old 07-08-2021, 11:20 AM   #2
woodbinepmi

Have been a couple times, it is an all day thing but very much worth it when in NOLA. There also is a Civil War museum just across the street from it too.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:37 AM   #3
woodtoo

Sounds like a great museum.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #4
illinoisbred

Confederate Memorial Hall is well worth a visit or two. I spent a couple days there back in 1982 when racing was cancelled at Fair Grounds due to an ice storm. I believe CMH is located on Magazine Street near Camp Street.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2021, 12:06 PM   #5
Inner Dirt

That sounds like a great museum. For WWII buffs this place has the Enola Gay:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven...ar-Hazy_Center

Unfortunately it is in a very left leaning county and a lot of people aren't happy about it being displayed. I think they forgot the Japanese started the conflict with the USA and the Enola Gay and her crew ended it. There probably would have been more casualties than the bomb caused if we had invaded Japan.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply