Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-19-2016, 02:14 AM   #1
ultracapper

SA race caller

Anyone that reads my posts knows I watch a bunch of Socal replays, and after 2 solid months of listening to both Wrona and Mirahmadi, I have come to favor Michael Wrona, and would like to see him get the regular gig there. Frank Mirahmadi is a very good caller, in my opinion, but Wrona's style and voice are just so easy on my ears. The one thing I wish he would do at Santa Anita that he doesn't, but always did at Golden Gate, is to call the entire field, front to back, as they finished the race. I think that is a nice touch to finish off a race.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 04:26 AM   #2
kevb

I like Wrona's calls, too. I sent an email to Santa Anita.
kevb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 05:24 AM   #3
lamboguy

i like both of them, maybe the people at Santa Anita have it figured out very well. they could keep going with both of those guys alternating back and forth between Santa Anita and Golden Gate. i don't see a problem with that.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
ebcorde
Veteran

I was hoping they bring in the guy from

the meadows. just kidding. Too many people in the game come to this site, I'm not looking for a fight with them. These guys are good, don't really care who wins. Race callers are all so different, it depends on what you're looking for low-key, excitement, yelling. Today, seems like the yelling excitement guy is what TV wants.
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcorde
the meadows. just kidding. Too many people in the game come to this site, I'm not looking for a fight with them. These guys are good, don't really care who wins. Race callers are all so different, it depends on what you're looking for low-key, excitement, yelling. Today, seems like the yelling excitement guy is what TV wants.
Roger Huston "Aaaaaattttt the Meadowwwws", "Do not get shut out". If they hire him I hope he can still come back here and call races at The Canfield Fair around Labor Day.

There are still two more race callers to audition, both international. I think from Singapore and Australia.

RR
Old 02-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #6
stringmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
Anyone that reads my posts knows I watch a bunch of Socal replays, and after 2 solid months of listening to both Wrona and Mirahmadi, I have come to favor Michael Wrona, and would like to see him get the regular gig there. Frank Mirahmadi is a very good caller, in my opinion, but Wrona's style and voice are just so easy on my ears. The one thing I wish he would do at Santa Anita that he doesn't, but always did at Golden Gate, is to call the entire field, front to back, as they finished the race. I think that is a nice touch to finish off a race.
It is much easier to call the finish for the entire field when you only have to worry about 5-6 horses. In So Cal, they have 6-7 horse fields, so it is much harder!
stringmail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
Delta Cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
I feel the complete opposite. Wrona's style is good, but his voice is anything but easy on the ears. I'm strongly in favor of Frank M.

To each his own.
Delta Cone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
no breathalyzer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Cone
I feel the complete opposite. Wrona's style is good, but his voice is anything but easy on the ears. I'm strongly in favor of Frank M.

To each his own.
I agree with this
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #9
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by no breathalyzer
I agree with this
I much prefer announcers who speak American VS. English. (I know the difference.....making a joke).

Except for Robert Geller, I haven't liked a single one. I prefer Frank in this case 100% to Michael.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #10
ronsmac

Wrona's good but Frank's better.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #11
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringmail
It is much easier to call the finish for the entire field when you only have to worry about 5-6 horses. In So Cal, they have 6-7 horse fields, so it is much harder!
Grade A post. Keep up the good work

Look, I even threw in one of those little icons that helps 6th grade girls make their points clearer to one another.

Edit: OMG!!! Look!!! We used the same one. OMG!!!

Last edited by ultracapper; 02-19-2016 at 01:43 PM.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #12
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Neither Wrona nor Mirahmadi will be SA's permanent announcer. Look for an announcer out of Australia or South Africa to make a guest appearance soon, after their racing seasons are over, sometime at the end of March.....Just an obscure prediction.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #13
Delta Cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
Neither Wrona nor Mirahmadi will be SA's permanent announcer. Look for an announcer out of Australia or South Africa to make a guest appearance soon, after their racing seasons are over, sometime at the end of March.....Just an obscure prediction.
Not too obscure of a prediction...

Story posted yesterday:

http://www.drf.com/news/evans-excite...aller-audition

Craig Evans is an Australian, calling the races this weekend (Feb 20-21). And next weekend David Fitzgerald of England will have a try.
Delta Cone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 04:12 PM   #14
pandy

I wish they would get someone who doesn't have an English accent. Denman was great and I do like Geller but because of Denman's popularity too many tracks have hired guys with accents. I haven't heard one announcer in England or Australia who sounds like he comes from the U.S. I don't see what they are doing this, some of the guys are annoying.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #15
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
I wish they would get someone who doesn't have an English accent. Denman was great and I do like Geller but because of Denman's popularity too many tracks have hired guys with accents. I haven't heard one announcer in England or Australia who sounds like he comes from the U.S. I don't see what they are doing this, some of the guys are annoying.
Boo.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply