Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-02-2023, 01:25 PM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Death penalty for Pittsburgh synagogue shooter

Good...surprising to see a death sentence handed down these days...but very good...and I don't generally believe in the death penalty...but in this case, I do.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/pittsburg...entenced-death
Old 08-02-2023, 01:54 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

We don't do this enough.

And we should br using the chait or a noose.
Inhumanr?

Hell yes....duh.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:19 PM   #3
thaskalos

He will die of old age on Death Row...with the taxpayers supporting him for the next 30+ years. What sort of "justice" is that? IMO, you either apply the death penalty in a timely manner...or you scrap it altogether. The way things are now...the court is just playing around with the emotions of the victims' families.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:51 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
He will die of old age on Death Row...with the taxpayers supporting him for the next 30+ years. What sort of "justice" is that? IMO, you either apply the death penalty in a timely manner...or you scrap it altogether. The way things are now...the court is just playing around with the emotions of the victims' families.
Exactly right.

That’s why it’s a joke
Old 08-02-2023, 02:55 PM   #5
Inner Dirt

I have a different take on the death penalty than most, and in my mind my opinion becomes more justified the more I learn about the burden lifers have on the system. I have taken quite a fee prison tours, and had prison guards and people that worked in state mental hospitals for the criminally insane among my friends and family.

Most of those types plot 24-7 on how to assault staff and other inmates.

They know they have nothing to lose as they are never breathing free air again. Every minute that POS is alive is a threat to the law abiding people that have to interact with them performing their job duties.

In my opinion more people need put to death not less. Had a retired female corrections officer lead a tour in the prison where Charlie's mother was an inmate, in West Virginia. She actually worked there many years before it was shut down. The reason for closing was due to the cells were under the new mandated size. This woman had been attacked multiple times and had the scars to prove it. You would be amazed at the weapons that can be made when someone has nothing but a bunch of time on their hands.

I don't get in the death penalty debates about whether it is a deterrent or not, I don't care. I have a friend in Cali, who got an early medical retirement,
that worked in a good many of the California State Mental Hospitals. Most everywhere he worked had a murder of staff within the previous couple years. Even if a serial killer is put in one of those facilities, they are allowed to roam free without restraints. They stay in dorms, not cells.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2023, 03:58 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Good...surprising to see a death sentence handed down these days...but very good...and I don't generally believe in the death penalty...but in this case, I do.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/pittsburg...entenced-death

We are definitely opposites there, if I was in charge prison budgets would have some transnational increased expenditures and then gradually drop and start operating on a much smaller budget.

In cases of unquestionable guilt where the death penalty qualities, execution of sentence is carried out in no more than a year. This would be a case where
DNA, fingerprint and video evidence has someone 100% guilty. I understand if
the greenies are opposed to old sparky using dirty power and the fact it would not qualify for an Energy Star appliance sticker. Those concerns are valid and will be addressed. I have no idea how prisons are zoned and how that effects their electric bills. In California on those that have tiered billing where the more you use the more you pay per KWH, they also have something called demand charges where one spike in demand over a measured period, usually 15 minutes can multiply a whole months bill by the demand factor. It is quite possible the overhead costs on the "Old Sparky"

ride could be prohibitive. That issue would need to be addressed, not by a bunch of government empty suits, but a group of electrical engineers, and maintenance electricians to determine whether we can green up "Old Sparky" or other alternatives should be looked at.

An option could be puling "Old Sparky" off the grid and running it off a generator, that would eliminate any demand factor rate spikes. The old girl

only runs off 15,000 watts, that can be easily attained by one of those tow behind construction site generators. The cost issue would be getting
the 2k volts through step up transformers. No idea on price there as I have only used step down transformers in practical applications.

I think the best way to go green on executions would be using a firing squad. What are 30-06 rounds these days, $1.25 each? You could use the full copper bullets with a sharp slow tapered point, whatever tests most likely to pass through the body when aimed at the heart. A lot of impressing the greenies is for show as most can't see the big picture.

The area the marksmen are standing in should be paved making recovering the brass easy. Bolt action 30-06's only, no need for "weapons of war" to execute someone. Practical nurses can legally pronounce someone dead, no need for an MD,
hire one of them to oversee the execution, money saved again!

A study should be undertaken whether it would be more cost efficient to just have designated death sites. They could probably be operated a lot more efficiently than having a death chamber in every max security prison.

The question is the cost of prisoner transportation.
Old 08-02-2023, 04:26 PM   #7
thaskalos

The death penalty can be administered at very low cost...all that's needed is a little "creative thinking". Handcuff the murderer and tie him to a chair in a room...and let the families of the victims go at him with baseball bats. Then, all you have to pay for is the clean-up and the removal of the corpse. Plus...it would be very therapeutic for the family members.
Old 08-02-2023, 04:56 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

What cost?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg NOOSE.JPG (22.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-02-2023, 05:10 PM   #9
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The death penalty can be administered at very low cost...all that's needed is a little "creative thinking". Handcuff the murderer and tie him to a chair in a room...and let the families of the victims go at him with baseball bats. Then, all you have to pay for is the clean-up and the removal of the corpse. Plus...it would be very therapeutic for the family members.

You could be on to something, there may be a way of using your idea as a way to defer costs of the execution and compensate the victim's families.

I do not like the baseball bat idea, too dangerous, unless you have them go one at a time. The family members wildly swinging baseball bats in a rage could hit each other. Maybe one at a time with a sap glove or nightstick.

Maybe even bring back the long banned for police weapons, the sap.
For maximum financial gain the first shot should probably go to the highest bidder. I am sure a right wing philanthropist who hates violent criminals will bid some nice coin, and he or she will most likely allow a family member to take a wack on their behalf.

I honestly only enjoy witnessing violence if it is the bad guy getting it rained on him. I will not watch those "World's Dumbest Daredevils" or the like as I do not enjoy watching someone eat it, knowing they probably got hurt, from just being guilty of being stupid.

So you auction off the first whack, how it goes from there needs to be well thought out. Should pay per view be an option? What about prop bets? Rules of the game need to be well laid out. You could just go with over and under on how long till first blood drawn, unconscious, or pronounced dead.
Definitely family members are banned from betting along with their friends.

Family members get a cut of the handle and gate.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:40 PM   #10
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
What cost?

Changes could be made to hanging to maximize it's cost effectiveness.
Too often they build gallows and tear them down. Probably better design a gallows kit out of durable materials, that can weather storms and be taken down and put up easily.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:49 PM   #11
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Changes could be made to hanging to maximize it's cost effectiveness.
Too often they build gallows and tear them down. Probably better design a gallows kit out of durable materials, that can weather storms and be taken down and put up easily.
Any tall bridge would do. Just have to make sure their head doesn't pop off.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2023, 05:49 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Gallows hell.
Prisons have roofs.
Old 08-02-2023, 06:11 PM   #13
Cutter14

What a surprise his lawyer is appealing ---I don't wish harm on people but in cases like these -these fucking lawyers are real pieces of shit-they will do anything for money--I had a friend years ago that was a defense attorney--I asked him how can you defend someone when you know they are guilty-his answer was "well someone has to do it"--that ended our friendship and I am happy he became a drunk and now has dementia--karma is a bitch-I also had many associates that were prison guards at Rikers and the stories they would tell me would make the hair on my back stand up
Cutter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2023, 06:41 PM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Defense attorneys are a vital part of the justice system.

Guilty or not.

That's what's wrong with society today...they just want to throw everything away that is necessary, but that doesn't give them happy thoughts.

I don't know if I could defend someone I know is guilty...but I'm happy there are people out there who can.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-02-2023 at 06:42 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2023, 06:52 PM   #15
Cutter14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Defense attorneys are a vital part of the justice system.

Guilty or not.

That's what's wrong with society today...they just want to throw everything away that is necessary, but that doesn't give them happy thoughts.

I don't know if I could defend someone I know is guilty...but I'm happy there are people out there who can.
In a case like this what about justice for the victims and their families--I just love when some of these low life lawyers try to make their clients the victims--that's happening more and more frequent--
Cutter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply