Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 06-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
Teach

Meadowlands: Friday, June 29

Race One: 2-Year Old Trot

The watchword here: “Holly Golightly”! Some of these “young men” (colts) may be candidates for the Arthur Murray Dance Studios. If given a choice: “The Outside,” e.g., 6 DON’T LET’EM, 3 KREDIT KARMA; 5 PROSPECT HILL; 4 STAR TRACK HANOVER.

Race Two: New Jersey Sire Stakes

If the last race is “Outside,” this one is decidedly: “Inside”. 2 HURRIKANE LORI ANN is my top pick. Daniel Dube, the Trois-Rivieres (home of the late-great Jean Beliveau) Quebec native, reprises the drive for trainer John McDermott, Jr. If “Experience is the best teacher,” this “little girl” has an edge on the rest of this field with three decent starts (Don’t let that 2:07 at Goshen fool you, that ½ mile oval is notoriously slow). I like her most recent close, a blistering :26.3 final panel. Others: 3 Love Love Me Too; 4 MollieDooker; 1 HurrikaneSky.

Race Three:

It’s the GSY “Hot To Trot”. “He’s Back!” (no, not Alice Cooper). I mean the assistant New York Yankees equipment manager, Mr. Joseph Lee. Since leaving “the friendly confines” of East Rutherford, NJ, i.e., The Meadowlands, 4 GLOBAL REVOLUTION has perambulated in the “Keystone State,” more commonly known as Pennsylvania, or “Penn’s Woods”. I might add with little success in his three pari-mutuel tries at both Pocono and Harrah’s Philadelphia; but alack-and-alas, he’s back at “The Big M” to resume his winning ways with his favorite driver, the aforementioned Joe Lee. If this were a baseball game, the line score would read: two wins, two “walks in the park” (thank you, Dave Brower) and no errors. With a record like that at the Bergen County oval, “Who could ask for anything more?” Others: 5 Tech Titan; 7 Fiji; 1 Hes A Castoff.

Race Four:

“You can rock it, you can roll it, you can stop and you can stroll it [“on the ‘The Trot’”]. Actually, “The Hop,” “Danny and the Juniors”. Yes, it’s the first leg of the NJSS for 2-year old trotters. 6 GREENSHOE, if he minds his manners, and he remembers his gait lessons: Left-front, right-rear; Right-front, left-rear, he can romp. Yet, caveat emptor: These are… I repeat: These are 2-year old trotters with limited experience. Anything can happen. Yet…if this well-bred guy does what he is capable of doing…? The big drawback: Don’t expect much in return. Yes, I’d be wary of “singling” him in multi-race wagers. I’d counsel: “Buying insurance”. As the ol’ philosopher used to say: “To hedge is to dilute; but it can bear fruit”. “The White Knight,” Brian Sears, is in the bike for trainer Marcus Melander. Others: 2 Lucius Vorenus; 1 Gerris Trix; 3 Memo.

Race Five:

7 ZERO TOLERANCE. If she performs in the p.m. as she has in the a.m., it’ll be “Katy Bar-the Door!” for the other “distaffers” in this group. Solid, consistent performances. Like a metronome at the top of a piano. And she had something left in the tank. Those closing times…whoa! No, she ain’t stoppin’! I don’t believe the outside post is an impediment, not with the kind of speed thisgal can bring “off the car”. Yes, this is her first pari-mutuel start…that does give pause. Yet, she just seems to be too good for this bunch, at least on paper. “Buckeye,” Dave Miller, is in the bike for trainer Joe Holloway. Others: 6 Disturbed Hanover; 2 Sea Princess; 3 St Somewhere.

Race Six:

The NJSS first leg for 2-year old trotters. I like – from a betting standpoint – these 2-year old trotting races. As Cole Porter might have said: “Anything Goes!” Yet, 6 BATTENBERG appears to be the best. The other trotters may have to “batten down the hatches” if this guy does what he’s capable of. The breeding is there! Sin duda! This fella’s last a.m. start was a stroll through Central Park. If he trots anywhere near what I believe he’s capable of, I believe it’ll be picture-taking time in the “Big M’s” winner’s circle. Dave Miller’s in the bike (I can just see his purple silks fluttering in the breeze as the Ohio native comes flying down the lane). oe Holloway trains this Trixton-bred colt. Others: 1 Trix and Stones; 3 No Drama Please; 7 Hudson River.

Race Seven:

In this Preferred Handicap Trot with Assigned Posts (No Show). Who else? 6 HANNALORE HANOVER. “Le Frelon Vert,” Monsieur Yannick Gingras, Sorel-Tracy sur Saint Lawrence, Quebec, Canada reprises the drive for trainer Ron Burke and “The Steel City’s” “Burke Brigade”. Once this 6-year old makes the lead it’s – as the New York Yankees play-by-play announcer Michael Kay will say when one of the “Pinstripes” hits a home run – “See Ya!” I guess the only thing I can say – I don’t want to seem like “a Jonah” – is: It is a trot. Don’t expect much in return. The payoffs remind me of the introductory 101 courses I took in college: *0.1…*0.1...*0.1. You better be “a whale” if you’re betting straight. Others: 5 Pinkman; the entry: 1/1A, Double L Lindy/Opulent Yankee; 3 Celebrity Ruth.

Race Eight:

I’m going “outside” to pick: 8 HELPISONTHEWAY. That was some mile up at Tioga (he beat Fourth Dimension). I know the post hurts, but… Yes, I think this guy’s got a shot. “The Bionic Man,” Tim Tetrick, handles the lines for trainer Linda Toscano. If this guy can work out a trip, he will be a factor. Others: 6 Samo Different Day; 7 Signal Hill; 3 Donatover.

Race Nine:

In this first leg of the NJSS for 2-year old fillies, I’m going with: 3 SPECIAL HONOR. It’s “Team Orange Crush”. The “Orange Crush,” Andy Miller and his wife, Julie “The Saluki” Miller (the same school that brought you Walt “Clyde” Frazier). They got a good one here. Maybe I should say a very promising 2-year old trotter. This Father Patrick-bred turned in two solid a.m. races; now let’s see what she can do in the p.m. All this gal need do is “mind her manners” and she can grace the “Big M’s” winner’s circle. Others: 1 Devilish Delight; 4 Given; 8 Starita

Race Ten:

My Longshot Special! 1 ATABOY HANOVER. He draws inside. That, my friends, is a big plus. More options for the Montreal native, Scott Zeron. He should find himself in a very good stalking position. I’m not going to hedge my choice, but he will need the “right trip”. He can’t afford to get hemmed in along the rail. If everything works out, the Andover Hall-bred is closing in deep stretch. Mark Harder trains. Others: 3 Shady McCoy; 7 Muscle Diamond; 4 Gold Medal Swan.

Race Eleven:

In this NJSS 2-year old filly trot, my choice is: 5 FRENCH CAFÉ. Once again, “Team Orange Crush” (they got some nice 2-year olds). This gal has turned in two solid a.m. races (2nd in her last to Beautiful Sin at Gaitway). It would appear that if she remains “flat,” she can “break her maiden” at first asking. A very well- bred trotter. Her Dam, Creamy Mimi, made almost one million dollars (thanks, Dave Brower). Others: 3 Atonement; 1 Reverie Deo; 4 Taja Mahala.

Race Twelve:

In the finale, I’m lookin to spring the upset. 6 ROCKIN MACHINE. An excuse last time, as all of the sudden, this guy went retrograde – now I know: broken equipment. A chance to make amends, at a price. Yes, this 4-year old hasn’t won this year, but he does fit. And Vinny’s (Vinnie Ginsburg) capable of guiding this Rockin Edge-bred into the winner’s circle. Earlier in the month, this guy turned in a 1:51.4 albeit finishing 2nd. Jenn Bongiorno trains. Others: 1/1A Captain Deo/American History; 5 Hayden Hanover; 4 Mr Heaven.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply