Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-19-2022, 09:23 AM   #226
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
NYRA's been accused of LOTS of things by you and others over the years here.

BEING FRUGAL isn't one of them.

In fact, many times, it's been just the opposite, especially when it came to executive or big name compensation.

Why the sudden turnaround, do you think? I mean, assuming what you're saying is actually accurate.
PA, it's now been confirmed by 3 different people, all of whom have access to the story, that I am correct about what happened. I am EXTREMELY confident that this is what happened.

I have NO idea what the actual motives were for NYRA engaging in this particular bit of cost-cutting. Who ever does? Especially since it wasn't a ton of money as compared to NYRA's revenues. So I know what happened- but I do not know why and I suspect none of us ever will.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2022, 10:09 AM   #227
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I don't think he's as good as Collmus, but he's absolutely very good, and if NYRA thinks it should have a top announcer again, hiring Frank M would be a very good way to undo some of what they did when they unloaded Collmus to save money.
As a West Coaster, you know that Santa Anita is his dream job. He's not going to leave there for as long as they'll have him. When NYRA gets to the point where they will need a new announcer (which I'm in no hurry for), they'll want one that is available to call all of the Wood Memorials, Belmonts, Traverses, and Cigar Miles. They wouldn't be looking for the part-time situation Miramahdi has with Monmouth.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2022, 10:21 AM   #228
Sheffwed

Easy Peasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
As a West Coaster, you know that Santa Anita is his dream job. He's not going to leave there for as long as they'll have him. When NYRA gets to the point where they will need a new announcer (which I'm in no hurry for), they'll want one that is available to call all of the Wood Memorials, Belmonts, Traverses, and Cigar Miles. They wouldn't be looking for the part-time situation Miramahdi has with Monmouth.
Imbriale gets Aqueduct (which will be the next 9 months, ugh, really NYRA?), Frank M gets Saratoga & Santa Anita

simple
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #229
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
Imbriale gets Aqueduct (which will be the next 9 months, ugh, really NYRA?), Frank M gets Saratoga & Santa Anita

simple
Sadly, there is no way to cash in on a head to head friendly wager where I have the side that NYRA would NEVER hire an announcer to do only the Saratoga meet.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:46 AM   #230
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Why should NYRA settle for a part-timer anyway?

The premier circuit in the country can't find someone willing to work year-round?

Hilarious.

Tom Durkin wasn't a superstar when NYRA picked him up.

Find someone good...relatively young...and hungry.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:14 AM   #231
BarchCapper

Quote:

The premier circuit in the country can't find someone willing to work year-round?

Hilarious.

Totally on board with first part and last part (when the time comes). I might quibble with Durkin not being a "superstar" by 1990 - he'd been the Breeders' Cup announcer from the beginning (1984), did all NBC announcing and if you don't want to call that "superstar", was a definite household name for anyone who remotely followed racing.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:21 AM   #232
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
I heard different. I heard that Larry spoke disparagingly about someone at NYRA in a text message. And the receiver of that text violated Larry's trust...by sharing it.

The text was something like

"I hate that guy and I'd like to piss on his grave".

The text was taken out of context and NYRA legal/human resources were involved. I suppose from a CYA corporate view, it's menacingly threatening.

But honestly, you make friends with co workers and say what's on your mind . Ouch for Larry. Sucks.
Every time I see this Collmus/Imbriale thing revived, I keep hearing Randy Travis in my head:

I'm diggin' up bones, diggin' up bones
Exhuming things that's better left alone
I'm resurrecting memories of love that's dead and gone
Yeah tonight I'm sittin' alone diggin' up bones

Old 08-19-2022, 11:34 AM   #233
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Totally on board with first part and last part (when the time comes). I might quibble with Durkin not being a "superstar" by 1990 - he'd been the Breeders' Cup announcer from the beginning (1984), did all NBC announcing and if you don't want to call that "superstar", was a definite household name for anyone who remotely followed racing.
We can debate superstar status (in terms of racetrack announcers)...as the BC was still kind of in its infancy when Durkin joined NYRA in 1990. I didn't really get into racing until the very late 80s, so I'm probably wrong on that.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:07 PM   #234
BarchCapper

Quote:
We can debate superstar status (in terms of racetrack announcers)...as the BC was still kind of in its infancy when Durkin joined NYRA in 1990. I didn't really get into racing until the very late 80s, so I'm probably wrong on that.
That makes sense, given when you started. My racing infancy was the early '80s, so just a little before yours.

Sadly, in looking it up, (and this surprised me) the highest rated Breeders' Cup telecast ever was the first one. Your comment about infancy had got me wondering, since I remembered it being a huge thing with a couple of years of promotion and build up before we finally got the first one. And then after all that groundwork to get sires/foals/horses nominated - a supplemental entry won the Classic!
Old 08-19-2022, 04:37 PM   #235
dilanesp

Quote:
Yeah, Durkin was a very big deal when NYRA hired him. The Breeders' Cup job obviously, but he also did Hialeah when that was still a big deal, Meadowlands harness when THAT was a still a big deal, and he was Dave Johnson's assistant on Meadowlands thoroughbred races as well. ABC and ESPN had both used him in addition to NBC. It was a splashy hire.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:38 PM   #236
CaptainObvious

Quote:

Hilarious.

What’s “relatively young” in horse racing? 55?
CaptainObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2022, 06:41 PM   #237
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
What’s “relatively young” in horse racing? 55?
Santa Anita hired Trevor when he was 31, Joe Hernandez when he was 25, and Alan Buchdahl when he was 21 or something. Hollywood Park hired Wrona the first time when he was 23. NYRA hired Dave Johnson at 30.

So there's an argument for getting 'em young.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:27 PM   #238
chenoa

TRAVIS STONE

Quote:

Hilarious.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:53 PM   #239
Suff
Beat up 💪

Vic is a good listen.

HISA implementation in Colorado- from a boots on the ground view.

Also informative Steward talk had an inside baseball feel

Arkansas land baron.

Old 09-04-2022, 10:12 AM   #240
Karakorum Kabbage
Veteran

Karakorum Kabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply