Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-08-2022, 03:18 PM   #196
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I've always felt the brotherhood of race callers should stick together.

Have each other's backs.

Not sh** were we eat.

You've made some pretty damning accusations in this thread.

Accusing others of not having the same standard of professionalism as yourself and Sir Peter.

Care to name these colleagues?

I'm sure they'll appreciate the input from a man of your statue, ethic and skillset.
I did not accuse others - they told me themselves. They told me in confidence and in all but one of the cases it was many years ago and none of them were even American or call in America. Nothing damning about it at all - just the fact they were no longer interested in race calling as they used to be and they accepted that fact for themselves.

Last edited by craigbraddick; 08-08-2022 at 03:33 PM.
craigbraddick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 03:38 PM   #197
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I remember when Trevor first started calling Fairplex and was applying his talents to some 4 furlong Appaloosa race and his editorializations ("she can WAIT NO MORE") sounded faintly ridiculous in the context. (Having said that, both him and Wrona turned out to be great at calling quarter horse races. Go figure.)

But I admire how all you guys prepare, and how you put so much work into a less than 2 minute call.
Thank you. I have seen some great callers who never color in the silks. It is all individual. I learned from guys who had to do pre race and post race stuff, often at times when there were still a lot of tech problems with live television - so it was often emphasized to me to have plenty on reserve in case something went wrong. 90% of it never gets used though!

Context is everything for sure. It is very different calling say a $3,200 Claimer over five furlongs for non winners of 3 lifetime than a six figure QH race over 250 yards than the 4 mile plus Virginia Gold Cup where they jump fences and go through a lake!
Old 08-08-2022, 03:54 PM   #198
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk Urging View Post
Vic i need you to man up and reply to my post dont be a coward.
I remember that and I also remember Wrona's response that involved explaining Vic was not one of 12 announcers chosen to be in some kind of book about race calling that was published maybe 15 years ago.

I also recall in 2011 there was a thread about Tom Durkin and I said something along the lines of that Tom was like the Arnold Palmer of race calling. You listen to him because it is great he is still there. Vic made this out to be an insult and castigated me on here.

What Vic did not know is at the time I was sharing an office with a gentlemen named Mike who Vic had known when Vic was the caller at Gulfstream Park. Mike knew Tom and that afternoon, I called Tom in the booth at Saratoga and told him what I said and he was not offended by it at all. And I have conversed with Tom many times since. In fact in 2018 he kindly made a brief appearance in a promotional video for me.

Vic: That was not the only time you criticized me on here in the past. The difference is this. Back then, I accepted being pushed around. But I learned to stand up for myself. Ever since I did, every single aspect of my life and career has got better. And although nothing in life lasts forever, I am so glad I learned that lesson and have people in my career who have been and still are so genuinely helpful.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:06 PM   #199
v j stauffer

Quote:
Vic speaking of which

Saying announcers should have each others backs.You tried to steal a job from Wrona back in the day.Wrona got hired to call the fairs and Vic wrote a letter trying to steal his job..

This isnt having each others back Vic
That NEVER happened. You are incorrect.

A new Fair Manager and Fair Board had been hired at Santa Rosa.

The announcer's job was re-opened for bidding. Those of us interested were told to write a letter explaining why we were best suited for the job.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 08-08-2022 at 05:15 PM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 05:09 PM   #200
elhelmete

This thread is so off the rails I'm going back to re-read one of formula_2002's 41,000 posts just to clear my head. LOL
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 05:14 PM   #201
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
This thread is so off the rails I'm going back to re-read one of formula_2002's 41,000 posts just to clear my head. LOL
Probably best to read a few of them!
Old 08-08-2022, 05:16 PM   #202
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick View Post
I remember that and I also remember Wrona's response that involved explaining Vic was not one of 12 announcers chosen to be in some kind of book about race calling that was published maybe 15 years ago.

I also recall in 2011 there was a thread about Tom Durkin and I said something along the lines of that Tom was like the Arnold Palmer of race calling. You listen to him because it is great he is still there. Vic made this out to be an insult and castigated me on here.

What Vic did not know is at the time I was sharing an office with a gentlemen named Mike who Vic had known when Vic was the caller at Gulfstream Park. Mike knew Tom and that afternoon, I called Tom in the booth at Saratoga and told him what I said and he was not offended by it at all. And I have conversed with Tom many times since. In fact in 2018 he kindly made a brief appearance in a promotional video for me.

Vic: That was not the only time you criticized me on here in the past. The difference is this. Back then, I accepted being pushed around. But I learned to stand up for myself. Ever since I did, every single aspect of my life and career has got better. And although nothing in life lasts forever, I am so glad I learned that lesson and have people in my career who have been and still are so genuinely helpful.
SOUNDS GOOD
Old 08-08-2022, 05:33 PM   #203
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Old 08-08-2022, 07:42 PM   #204
MJC922

Quote:
Oh my, that went to the upper deck.

Where do I send a paypal donation?
Old 08-10-2022, 02:57 PM   #205
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
Johnny I has been terrible today, blowing call after call, over his head

Meanwhile Peter Berry calls a great WV Derby, he just sits there and no one ever gives him any real respect, and of course there are others mentioned earlier in this thread

I don't get it

Peter Berry gets the utmost respect here, maybe you should do some research.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2022, 03:15 PM   #206
Inner Dirt

I think Vic is being too nice, and I think he is a far better announcer than the guy he is arguing with, who seems to have an over inflated sense of self worth.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2022, 04:21 PM   #207
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Listen to the 4th...Wow Montauk........................................... ...................Mexican Wonderboy
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2022, 04:46 PM   #208
ScottJ

Quote:
Listen to the 4th...Wow Montauk....Mexican Wonderboy
For goodness sakes, Brisk, any chance you can throttle down the rhetoric? Seriously hossy, you are better than this.
ScottJ is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2022, 11:51 PM   #209
SG4

Did anyone notice Trevor completely call the wrong horse the winner in Del Mar's 7th last Sunday? He referred to him wrongly 3x in the stretch & never corrected himself. Bad mess up as one was a grey & other was brown, and he had it right the whole way until the stretch. Not that I'm looking to pile on Trevor, I'm just more confused that this egregious error went completely unmentioned from anything I saw while any Imbriale stutter-step is grounds for dismissal.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2022, 05:49 AM   #210
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Did anyone notice Trevor completely call the wrong horse the winner in Del Mar's 7th last Sunday? He referred to him wrongly 3x in the stretch & never corrected himself. Bad mess up as one was a grey & other was brown, and he had it right the whole way until the stretch. Not that I'm looking to pile on Trevor, I'm just more confused that this egregious error went completely unmentioned from anything I saw while any Imbriale stutter-step is grounds for dismissal.
Trevor is probably impossible to fire, but maybe he can be convinced to step down if he's making too many mistakes up there. One advantage Del Mar has is it's relationship with Collmus- they have a great announcer presumably ready to step in whenever Trevor steps down.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: