Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-20-2022, 08:07 PM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Laurel has red lights on the finish poles. The correct finish pole light illuminates. This is the very reason for the lights.
Maybe he thought they meant STOP!
Old 08-20-2022, 08:14 PM   #17
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
When Jefferson Downs existed, they'd run marathons on the bullring and I could never figure out on the monitor how many laps they were going.
Back in the 70s, we ran a series of marathons, including several distances over 4 miles at FL.

The big attraction was they put a picnic table in ftront of the tote board and 4 "Playboy" bunnies would dance on the table during the race, and each lap, one would get down off the table. When 1 bunny was left, the riders knew it was the final lap.

Side note.....in a 4m70 race, my horse got lapped!
Old 08-20-2022, 09:17 PM   #18
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Back in the 70s, we ran a series of marathons, including several distances over 4 miles at FL.

The big attraction was they put a picnic table in ftront of the tote board and 4 "Playboy" bunnies would dance on the table during the race, and each lap, one would get down off the table. When 1 bunny was left, the riders knew it was the final lap.

Now that is a sure way to make sure there are no jockey miscalculations.

Nice pick!!
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2022, 10:02 PM   #19
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
Again. One Finish line is enough because you can put the starting gate anywhere to have the distance you want. A few times a year this fumble happens at multiple tracks. It can easily be avoided.
Wouldn’t that make the start in some part of the turn at certain distances?
Old 08-20-2022, 11:49 PM   #20
wisconsin

Quote:
Maybe he thought they meant STOP!

Except it they would have been lit on the 2nd finish pole.
Old 08-21-2022, 12:19 AM   #21
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
Again. One Finish line is enough because you can put the starting gate anywhere to have the distance you want. A few times a year this fumble happens at multiple tracks. It can easily be avoided.
Sure you can put a mile race gate right at the turn and take all the outside horses out of contention. Again, at Laurel the mile starts in the 7 1/2 furlong chute and goes to the second finish line. Again, a few times a year is no big deal and doesn't need to be avoided. Again.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2022, 12:20 AM   #22
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Old 08-21-2022, 12:34 AM   #23
ranchwest

Quote:

I went to the 2nd Ali-Spinks fight. Between rounds they had the traditional girl in a bikini with a sign showing the upcoming round. Except one round a stripper from Bourbon Street entered the ring clad in high heels and a sign stating her place of employment, held high above her head.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:53 AM   #24
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
No. You have the entire length of stretch or backstretch to work with in regards to distances and placement of starting gate. Plenty of tracks have only one finish line and have a variety of distances of races. There have been articles about this and why it’s unnesscessary to have two finish lines.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2022, 08:20 PM   #25
jameegray1

The Laurel dual finish posts are a nightmare. Even the on-site production team ballsed it up back in June with live footage for one race shown from a camera sited on, panning to, and stopping on the 1st finish line when it should have been the 2nd.

The positions of this race were actually

Attached Images
File Type: jpg laurel.jpg (88.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by jameegray1; 08-21-2022 at 08:22 PM.
jameegray1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2022, 09:58 AM   #26
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

What distances use the first finish line?
The second line can't be changed because the mile races can only start where they do now.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:25 AM   #27
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
What distances use the first finish line?
The second line can't be changed because the mile races can only start where they do now.
Tom, I should know the turf rule, but I'm not sure.
On dirt, everything usual (6f, 7f?, 1m1/16th, 1m1/8th are run 'first finish line'), with just the 1M using the 2nd fin line.

/
the 1m laurel races are one of my favorite race configurations because of the 2nd-fin line.

Some of you have lodged valid complaints and suggestions, so this isn't meant to be a contrarian opposing thing. On the contrary, I respect those ideas and opinions.

The reason I like the LRL 1M is that the length of stretch is longer than most racing. I have in my notes 'about 1400 feet'. I can't vouch for exact accuracy but fundamentals are significant. For an extreme contrast, randomly grabbing the Oaklawn 1M first-finish-line stretch out of the hat, which I have noted as 'about 800 feet'.

I enjoy track biases. A fair or less-biased race is cool to me if the field size is large and the pace is significant, but in general biases fuel my interest in looking for unique and ... biased stuff.

I'm the guy whining when track x builds a chute or goes 'poly' and runs less races at ridiculous starting-gate/turn configuration.
(A single finish line approach is also going to create some starting-gate configuration biases or require the build of a chute on most main tracks).

The best part (to me) about the lengthened stretch being a bias or unique quirk, is that it occasionally calls into play some positive qualities of a horse like solid fundamentals and stamina. Unlike some biases where the starting gate is in an awful position, or where the rail is gold/dead, a long stretch occasionally rewards good horses and reveals some additional info.

It's not a utopia. Some cheap races are run. Sometimes the paces are reserved. Sometimes it rewards a trainer/vet/ownership gang. A few times a year it opens the door for a goof-up or worse.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 08-22-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2022, 12:37 PM   #28
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
the 1m laurel races are one of my favorite race configurations because of the 2nd-fin line.

Some of you have lodged valid complaints and suggestions, so this isn't meant to be a contrarian opposing thing. On the contrary, I respect those ideas and opinions.

The reason I like the LRL 1M is that the length of stretch is longer than most racing. I have in my notes 'about 1400 feet'. I can't vouch for exact accuracy but fundamentals are significant. For an extreme contrast, randomly grabbing the Oaklawn 1M first-finish-line stretch out of the hat, which I have noted as 'about 800 feet'.

I enjoy track biases. A fair or less-biased race is cool to me if the field size is large and the pace is significant, but in general biases fuel my interest in looking for unique and ... biased stuff.

I'm the guy whining when track x builds a chute or goes 'poly' and runs less races at ridiculous starting-gate/turn configuration.
(A single finish line approach is also going to create some starting-gate configuration biases or require the build of a chute on most main tracks).

The best part (to me) about the lengthened stretch being a bias or unique quirk, is that it occasionally calls into play some positive qualities of a horse like solid fundamentals and stamina. Unlike some biases where the starting gate is in an awful position, or where the rail is gold/dead, a long stretch occasionally rewards good horses and reveals some additional info.
Vive la difference!!! We already have too many tracks that are the equivalent of 70's era multipurpose stadiums. (And thus encourage my love of UK/Irish racing.)

Also, for reference, the Laurel website lists the stretch distances:

Quote:
Length of stretch from last turn to first finish line -- 1,089 feet
Length of stretch from last turn to second finish line -- 1,419 feet
https://www.laurelpark.com/visitors/track-overview
Old 08-22-2022, 01:40 PM   #29
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Vive la difference!!! We already have too many tracks that are the equivalent of 70's era multipurpose stadiums. (And thus encourage my love of UK/Irish racing.)

Also, for reference, the Laurel website lists the stretch distances:

https://www.laurelpark.com/visitors/track-overview
Thanks. I wasn't that offf in the notes.

Sounds like we are in similar camps as to the variety spicing up the game.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: