Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-29-2022, 10:57 PM   #121
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
but there seems to be way more aligned insights coming from people like Patterson and the wonderful team at Colonial

here at NYRA we get opinions, which it feels like half the time are way off the mark

everyone's entitled to an opinion but I know I'm not the only one who feels this way

not sure what's "classless" about that

and I just discovered this site, sorry about that, thanks for the nice welcome
Well, allow me to spell out the meaning of classless for you. I searched the Internet wide and far, and do NOT see any Sheffwed public picks available for post race critique. I could not not find any other pinhead claiming they had found the one way, the truth and the light by following the picks of the public handicappers from Colonial.

The fact you can't differentiate opinion from bullshit from juvenile and petty whining just confirms that your lack of class, ergo classless.

How 'bout some value add to the conversation? All we've seen from you is a swipe (and a petty one at that) about a Euro that didn't run as previous efforts indicated. Well, that's quite a deep and insightful analysis. (/sarc) Can you come back to us on Breeder's Cup weekend with those fine talents on Breeder's Cup weekend and tell us which ones will run, and which ones won't?

And don't think the newbie card buys you a pass - if you're a Richard-head, it's not hard to figure out.

And your welcome. As in, welcome to the site, nitwit.

Last edited by Parkview_Pirate; 07-29-2022 at 10:58 PM.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2022, 08:23 AM   #122
Sheffwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
Well, allow me to spell out the meaning of classless for you. I searched the Internet wide and far, and do NOT see any Sheffwed public picks available for post race critique. I could not not find any other pinhead claiming they had found the one way, the truth and the light by following the picks of the public handicappers from Colonial.

The fact you can't differentiate opinion from bullshit from juvenile and petty whining just confirms that your lack of class, ergo classless.

How 'bout some value add to the conversation? All we've seen from you is a swipe (and a petty one at that) about a Euro that didn't run as previous efforts indicated. Well, that's quite a deep and insightful analysis. (/sarc) Can you come back to us on Breeder's Cup weekend with those fine talents on Breeder's Cup weekend and tell us which ones will run, and which ones won't?

And don't think the newbie card buys you a pass - if you're a Richard-head, it's not hard to figure out.

And your welcome. As in, welcome to the site, nitwit.
yes, a European horse in a North American turf sprint is a lock...

and I've made quite a bit of money over the years on Europeans in longer turf races, including the Arlington Million

sure, I'll give you my free tips on longshot Europeans...
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2022, 08:26 PM   #123
Inner Dirt

I think being a race caller is a very difficult job. I think the booth at Fairplex Park was in a perfect spot at the top of the grandstands, yet Trevor Denman in his prime sounded horrible calling the quarter horse races because he was out of his element. He was the only racing celebrity I ever spoke to in close proximity, he was on a high speed bathroom run and we almost crashed into each other. I just said he was the greatest and he said, thank you sir, he went to the can and I went to the beer stand. I didn't know he was such a small man till I almost ran over him. I never researched his past, did he used to ride?

As for Hollywood Park, I started going there during the last couple years of Harry Henson, no one seemed a good fit for that place after Harry until Vic came along. Don't get a big head Vic, I give you a distant second to the legendary Harry Henson. You did beat out everyone else, even Luke Kruytbosch, that is saying something.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 08-01-2022 at 08:32 PM.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2022, 08:29 PM   #124
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I think being a race caller is a very difficult job. I think the booth at Fairplex Park was in a perfect spot at the top of the grandstands, yet Trevor Denman in his prime sounded horrible calling the quarter horse races because he was out of his element. He was the only racing celebrity I ever spoke to in close proximity, he was on a high speed bathroom run and we almost crashed into each other. I just said he was the greatest and he said, thank you sir, he went to the can and I went to the beer stand. I didn't know he was such a small man till I almost ran over him. I never researched his past, did he used to ride?
From his Wikipedia page, for what it's worth:

"A part-time jockey and exercise rider, he started as a race caller in his native South Africa in 1971 at age 18."
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2022, 01:26 PM   #125
craigbraddick

So Harry Henson was way before my time in US racing. But from the few race calls I have heard of his, it would appear his calling style was "Name, margin, name, margin, name, margin. Essentially the verbal version of a chart call..

Listen to Peter O'Sullevan in the UK or Bert Bryant in Australia from the same era and they were streets ahead in description, phraseology, picking up horses making a move on far bigger tracks and often with far more horses.

As someone brought up overseas, what am I not understanding about Harry Henson was so great? Genuine question because clearly I was influenced by others in my formative years.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:22 PM   #126
Inner Dirt

Harry Henson's voice was a perfect fit for race calling. I always thought Trevor in his prime was unmatched in his skill, but for myself and my race going friends it took a while to get used to his accent. I think the sound of someone's voice makes a big difference in likability.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:02 PM   #127
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick View Post
So Harry Henson was way before my time in US racing. But from the few race calls I have heard of his, it would appear his calling style was "Name, margin, name, margin, name, margin. Essentially the verbal version of a chart call..

Listen to Peter O'Sullevan in the UK or Bert Bryant in Australia from the same era and they were streets ahead in description, phraseology, picking up horses making a move on far bigger tracks and often with far more horses.

As someone brought up overseas, what am I not understanding about Harry Henson was so great? Genuine question because clearly I was influenced by others in my formative years.
Henson had a distinctive voice and added a great deal of drama to big moves and stretch duels.

Having said that, he was a product of his time. Henson started in the 1940's, at a time when racecalling in the US was in its infancy and when most tracks wanted a straight call with no commentary. (Clem Mccarthy worked on the radio and had more freedom in his call.)

Denman and Durkin changed things in the 1980's , and as a result, announcers now have far more freedom. But judged by the standards of his time, Henson was very good.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2022, 05:38 PM   #128
craigbraddick

That makes a lot of sense, thank you.

I have in my archive a very rare live radio broadcast of the 1934 Kentucky Derby that was transmitted live on the BBC National Program in the UK at Midnight on May 6, 1934 from the NBC feed. I think it is Clem McCarthy and he was surprisingly more descriptive in his call than I would associate with American race callers who I have heard from back in the day. Sadly, I am not allowed to put it online (one of the drawbacks of having access to a vast archive) but the NBC Radio Host sounds like a long lost cousin of Ted Kennedy and uses some "colorful words" when setting the scene!
Old 08-02-2022, 05:44 PM   #129
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Henson had a distinctive voice and added a great deal of drama to big moves and stretch duels.

Having said that, he was a product of his time. Henson started in the 1940's, at a time when racecalling in the US was in its infancy and when most tracks wanted a straight call with no commentary. (Clem Mccarthy worked on the radio and had more freedom in his call.)

Denman and Durkin changed things in the 1980's , and as a result, announcers now have far more freedom. But judged by the standards of his time, Henson was very good.
And for many of us who grew up in the “you only get your local track” age, the announcer you had when you fell in love with the sport is the best. You weren’t comparing them with 15-20 others every day, so your one announcer was what racing was supposed to sound like.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2022, 06:13 PM   #130
classhandicapper

Track announcers have a ridiculously difficult job. I've been watching races for between 45 and 50 years and could never do their job. IMO John Imbriale does a fine job and has a good voice for the job too. I don't understand why this is such a long thread and I'm not going to read it to find out.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:14 PM   #131
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick View Post
That makes a lot of sense, thank you.

I have in my archive a very rare live radio broadcast of the 1934 Kentucky Derby that was transmitted live on the BBC National Program in the UK at Midnight on May 6, 1934 from the NBC feed. I think it is Clem McCarthy and he was surprisingly more descriptive in his call than I would associate with American race callers who I have heard from back in the day. Sadly, I am not allowed to put it online (one of the drawbacks of having access to a vast archive) but the NBC Radio Host sounds like a long lost cousin of Ted Kennedy and uses some "colorful words" when setting the scene!
They don't have 1934 here, but this page has a big sampling of old Derby calls, so you can hear what McCarthy sounded like.

http://www.lkyradio.com/WHASKentuckyDerby.htm
Old 08-02-2022, 07:15 PM   #132
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
And for many of us who grew up in the “you only get your local track” age, the announcer you had when you fell in love with the sport is the best. You weren’t comparing them with 15-20 others every day, so your one announcer was what racing was supposed to sound like.
Absolutely, whoever you heard when you first went to the track is often your favorite. I have a strong fondness for Dave Johnson, because I remember his voice booming "and down the stretch they come" out of the Santa Anita speakers when I was a kid.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:16 PM   #133
Inner Dirt

Bobby Doyle at Los Al was the first announcer I heard, my step dad liked the quarter horse races. Then much later heard Dave Johnson at Santa Anita, the third one was Henson at Hollywood Park. I don't recall who called them at the Pomona Fair back then.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:46 PM   #134
dilanesp

Quote:
Bobby Doyle at Los Al was the first announcer I heard, my step dad liked the quarter horse races. Then much later heard Dave Johnson at Santa Anita, the third one was Henson at Hollywood Park. I don't recall who called them at the Pomona Fair back then.
Bobby Doyle! "They're running!"

Dick Riley called the Pomona Fair (and in fact, he used to announce all the CARF fairs except Ferndale). He was succeeded by Ralph Siraco, and then by Trevor, who called them until Fairplex's demise as a horse racing facility.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #135
v j stauffer

Quote:

As for Hollywood Park, I started going there during the last couple years of Harry Henson, no one seemed a good fit for that place after Harry until Vic came along. Don't get a big head Vic, I give you a distant second to the legendary Harry Henson. You did beat out everyone else, even Luke Kruytbosch, that is saying something.
C'mon Dilan. You already know I have a big head.

Harry is also my all time favorite announcer. It was his calls at Del Mar that helped me fall in love with our game.

He was also extremely instrumental in helping me chase my dream of becoming a race caller.

When Harry was in his prime announcing was extremely different.

This was long before the advent of simulcasting and guys like Harry, Joe Hernandez and Chic Anderson were heard only over the on-track PA.

Harry could inspire passion with inflection, tone and intensity. I can assure you it never sounded like a chart was being called.

Many announcers back in those days were very hamstrung by management. They were told not to call any close finishes. Some even had to stop their call at the sixteenth pole.

When simulcasting became the rage Tom and Trevor changed race calling forever.

Now with 90% of the people who bet the race watching on TV they became more a combination of play by play and analyst than booming over a sound system.

BTW when speaking of iconic announcers. So sad to hear of the passing of Vin Scully. Like Harry with horse racing, it was Vin who helped me fall in love with baseball.

I grew up in Southern California listening to so many greats.

How's this for a roster....

VIN SCULLY
DICK ENBERG
CHICK HEARN
BOB MILLER

Even DICK LANE who called both wrestling and roller derby.

RIP VIN

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: