Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
ArlJim78

The Green Jobs miracle that is Solyndra

catchy little video.

[YT="The future?"]wGBc7ROxKi4[/YT]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wGBc7ROxKi4
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Greyfox

Can you imagine a company is given $500 million and goes down the tube?
This fraud reeks of political and business stench.
Is "Chicago Style Politics" the source? Check out the White House and send the conspirators to jail, no matter how high the link goes.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
hcap

At this point there are no charges of fraud or criminal conduct. Why don't we wait for the FBI.to determine if the level of wrong doing approaches that of Enron or Halliburton.

Meanwhile the Green economy has grown and is employing many. From Brookings...

http://www.brookings.edu/reports/201...n_economy.aspx

The clean economy, which employs some 2.7 million workers, encompasses a significant number of jobs in establishments spread across a diverse group of industries. Though modest in size, the clean economy employs more workers than the fossil fuel industry and bulks larger than bioscience but remains smaller than the IT-producing sectors. Most clean economy jobs reside in mature segments that cover a wide swath of activities including manufacturing and the provision of public services such as wastewater and mass transit. A smaller portion of the clean economy encompasses newer segments that respond to energy-related challenges. These include the solar photovoltaic (PV), wind, fuel cell, smart grid, biofuel, and battery industries.
The clean economy grew more slowly in aggregate than the national economy between 2003 and 2010, but newer “cleantech” segments produced explosive job gains and the clean economy outperformed the nation during the recession. Overall, today’s clean economy establishments added half a million jobs between 2003 and 2010, expanding at an annual rate of 3.4 percent. This performance lagged the growth in the national economy, which grew by 4.2 percent annually over the period (if job losses from establishment closings are omitted to make the data comparable). However, this measured growth heavily reflected the fact that many longer-standing companies in the clean economy—especially those involved in housing- and building-related segments—laid off large numbers of workers during the real estate crash of 2007 and 2008, while sectors unrelated to the clean economy (mainly health care) created many more new jobs nationally. At the same time, newer clean economy establishments— especially those in young energy-related segments such as wind energy, solar PV, and smart grid—added jobs at a torrid pace, albeit from small bases.

The clean economy is manufacturing and export intensive. Roughly 26 percent of all clean economy jobs lie in manufacturing establishments, compared to just 9 percent in the broader economy. On a per job basis, establishments in the clean economy export roughly twice the value of a typical U.S. job ($20,000 versus $10,000). The electric vehicles (EV), green chemical products, and lighting segments are all especially manufacturing intensive while the biofuels, green chemicals, and EV industries are highly export intensive.

The clean economy offers more opportunities and better pay for low- and middle-skilled workers than the national economy as a whole. Median wages in the clean economy—meaning those in the middle of the distribution—are 13 percent higher than median U.S. wages. Yet a disproportionate percentage of jobs in the clean economy are staffed by workers with relatively little formal education in moderately well-paying “green collar” occupations.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
ArlJim78

not only that, but six weeks before declaring bankruptcy they wrote a letter to congress saying that everything was on track and looking good.

two weeks ago they said they would appear before congress and answer all questions. now they are invoking the 5th ammendment. so much for the openness.

they got the half billion and pissed it away in record time, spending hand over fist.

they should do jail time, along with their enablers in the Whitehouse who assisted in the fraud.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap
At this point there are no charges of fraud or criminal conduct. Why don't we wait for the FBI.to determine if the level of wrong doing approaches that of Enron or Halliburton.
What again was the level of wrongdoing by Halliburton?
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Mike at A+
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
not only that, but six weeks before declaring bankruptcy they wrote a letter to congress saying that everything was on track and looking good.

two weeks ago they said they would appear before congress and answer all questions. now they are invoking the 5th ammendment. so much for the openness.

they got the half billion and pissed it away in record time, spending hand over fist.

they should do jail time, along with their enablers in the Whitehouse who assisted in the fraud.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ojailx.jpg (8.7 KB, 79 views)
Mike at A+ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
Greyfox

Quote:

No one is convicting them here. We'll leave that to the law.
But when two top executives from Solyndra plead the "Fifth" in front of a Government committee you know something is being covered up.
That is $500 million that won't be coming back to the tax payers who gave it to the Government and the WH Administration gave it away.
Questions need to be asked and toes held to the fire.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Mike at A+
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
No one is convicting them here. We'll leave that to the law.
But when two top executives from Solyndra plead the "Fifth" in front of a Government committee you know something is being covered up.
That is $500 million that won't be coming back to the tax payers who gave it to the Government and the WH Administration gave it away.
Questions need to be asked and toes held to the fire.
The Democrats were more concerned with Roger Clemens allegedly taking steroids to add a few mph to his fastball than they seem to be about flushing a half billion of OUR dollars down the toilet.
Mike at A+ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
ArlJim78

but its not just half a billion, that is only Solyndra. they have stuffed 10's of billions into the green energy fantasyland, and are determined to add to it. several of those companies have went belly-up.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
What again was the level of wrongdoing by Halliburton?
Ok, ya got me. Although Enron was totally guilty and "Kenny boy" Lay, Georgies pal was a true goniff, Halliburton/KBR/Brown and Root were only 1/2 way guilty of Fraud, and only sometimes goniffs

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ing-history-s/

Government officials have raised many questions about KBR's fulfillment of its contracts, everything from billing for meals it didn't serve to charging inflated prices for gas to excessive administrative costs. Government auditors have noted that KBR refused to turn over electronic data in its native format and stamped documents as proprietary and secret when the documents would normally be considered public records.

Over the course of several years, the Defense Contract Audit Agency found that $553 million in payments should be disallowed to KBR, according to 2009 testimony by agency director April Stephenson before the bipartisan Commission on Wartime Contracting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Commissioner Charles Tiefer, a professor at the University of Baltimore Law School, said that amount represents a small portion of everything that auditors examined as potentially questionable.

"The DCAA is known for cautious conclusions about contracting," Tiefer said. "The large majority of those auditor findings get actually withheld from the contractor."

KBR itself acknowleges it may not get paid for all of its contract services. In its most recent annual report filed with the Securities Exchange Commission, it acknowledged that the Defense Contract Audit Agency was recommending withholding $289 million in contract costs not yet paid and asking for the return of $121 million already paid. "We continue to work with our administrative contracting officers, the DCAA and our subcontractors to resolve these issues. However, for certain of these matters, we have filed claims with the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals or the United States Court of Claims," the report states.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
bigmack

Quote:
Ok, ya got me.
Face facts. You SUCK at getting facts straight.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

I was just down the road from Solyndra in Fremont last year, on my way to visit an electronics contract mfg when a fleet of Marine 1 helicopters flew overhead. I said "WTF, was that the President?". Turns out it was.

Solyndra has a monster of a campus, right off the freeway. Hundreds of thousands of sq ft. I think they were constructing another building at the time.

Last edited by chickenhead; 09-23-2011 at 09:28 PM.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #13
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhead
I was just down the road from Solyndra in Fremont last year, on my way to visit an electronics contract mfg when a fleet of Marine 1 helicopters flew overhead. I said "WTF, was that the President?". Turns out it was.

Solyndra has a monster of a campus, right off the freeway. Hundreds of thousands of sq ft. I think they were constructing another building at the time.
Obama and the SEIU will probably resort to "plan B" and convert that property into a Brown Shirts basic training facility. Can't let a good opportunity and all that that tax money to go to waste, can we?

Boxcar
Old 09-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #14
delayjf

Quote:
Though modest in size, the clean economy employs more workers than the fossil fuel industry and bulks
I'm raising the BS flag on this one, and it would be interesting to know exactly what jobs he classifies as a "green Job"
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
cj's dad

He'll be back soon with charts and graphs as soon as he wakes up.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: