Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #166
chadk66

Ingesting dirt with poly could in now way be good for a horse
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #167
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
That's all I was referring to.

I also remember the moaning and gnashing of teeth by opinion-makers, including Andy Beyer, that the elimination of biases would result in more predictability, lower win payoffs, and a move downwards towards harness racing levels of interest.
Wagering has dropped from $15 billion to $10 billion a year, and favorites are winning near 40% nationwide. What part of that was wrong?
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2019, 03:06 AM   #168
Hosshead
It's A Photo-Ying & Yang

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
The thing is, Del Mar and Santa Anita had a lot of fatal breakdowns years ago, which is why the state mandated the change to synthetic tracks (which reduced the number of fatal breakdowns). So, I'm not saying that you're wrong, but this isn't something that developed just this winter. Santa Anita and Del Mar have had this problem, just as bad, in the past. Which is why I think that you can make a case that drugs do factor into it. Del Mar was a killing grounds in two different meets.
Synthetic is not the answer.
Here is more on how Del Mar turned it around.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...306-story.html

But unfortunately Santa Anita doesn't want to spend the $ on re doing the track itself.
So we get all the excuses they can think of, ...except the big ticket item.

____

Last edited by Hosshead; 03-21-2019 at 03:19 AM.
Hosshead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2019, 07:30 AM   #169
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I have a particular take on soft tissue injuries, as a litigation lawyer.

In human accidents, soft tissue injuries are where a vast number of fraudulent claims are made. You can't prove anything. If the victim tells a doctor he or she hurts there, and the doctor puts a brace on, boom, you have a soft tissue injury and a $25,000 or more claim.

There were a lot of trainers who hated synthetic tracks, for their own reasons. And, honestly-- and I am going to be very nasty to them-- they really didn't care that much about the fatality rate on dirt, at least in the sense that they would prefer a world where they understand the surface and speed figures work and their horses are bred to run on the surface, to a world where they are dealing with something new and unpredictable, even if that new and unpredictable surface is far safer.

There's no reason we should particularly credit the honesty of horsemen claiming soft tissue injuries. At any rate, even if you did, I'd rather have a racetrack full of treatable soft tissue injuries than a ton of fatal breakdowns. It's a no brainer.
I agree, I think some trainers were using "soft tissue injuries" as an excuse because they just wanted to run on dirt. Bob Baffert made it very clear that he didn't like synthetic tracks and it had nothing to do with injuries, he just likes fast and hard tracks for his horses because he has speed horses that are bred for dirt and speed.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #170
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosshead View Post
Synthetic is not the answer.
Here is more on how Del Mar turned it around.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...306-story.html

But unfortunately Santa Anita doesn't want to spend the $ on re doing the track itself.
So we get all the excuses they can think of, ...except the big ticket item.

____
Quoting from the article, here is a summary of DelMar's suggestions:

●the full renovation of the track surface;
●fewer racing days;
●fewer horses housed and training at the track;
●three breaks (instead of two) in morning training for the track to be refreshed; and
●after those breaks, giving priority to horses running a full workout to run along the rail.
●veterinarians to identify horses that are unfit to race. That includes examining a horse’s past race and training performance.

I listed them to get your opinion about each, if you have any.

Concerning the last, half the breakdowns occurred in training, do track vets ever examine horses before workouts? Has one ever scratched a horse from a workout?

Also, seems that most of these suggestions would cut into SA's bottom line.

Last edited by Redboard; 03-21-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #171
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Quoting from the article, here is a summary of DelMar's suggestions:

●the full renovation of the track surface;
●fewer racing days;
●fewer horses housed and training at the track;
●three breaks (instead of two) in morning training for the track to be refreshed; and
●after those breaks, giving priority to horses running a full workout to run along the rail.
●veterinarians to identify horses that are unfit to race. That includes examining a horse’s past race and training performance.

I listed them to get your opinion about each, if you have any.

Concerning the last, half the breakdowns occurred in training, do track vets ever examine horses before workouts? Has one ever scratched a horse from a workout?

Also, seems that most of these suggestions would cut into SA's bottom line.
It's worth noting as well that there's no statistical proof that Del Mar's dirt is as safe as a synthetic track. It's a small sample size.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #172
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
yes, how awful to make horse trainers know and learn how to manage EIPH in racehorses, like the rest of the world is able to do.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong one way or another. I was pointing out that horsemen would never stand for a change on the fly regarding their Lasix.

And how did it work out? Racing will resume WITH Lasix.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #173
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
I'm not saying it's right or wrong one way or another. I was pointing out that horsemen would never stand for a change on the fly regarding their Lasix.

Definitely the horsemen will do everything they can to push back on something like this if it is tried by a track.

The real question is whether the legislature or the voters will ever get involved.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #174
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post

So there is no change in the lasix dosage when racing resumes is that correct.?
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #175
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566 View Post
So there is no change in the lasix dosage when racing resumes is that correct.?
They took a haircut on dosing, but just watch, they will get the 2018 foals restriction thrown out before it takes effect....
Old 03-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #176
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Lasix will still be permitted but at a maximum of 50 percent of the current levels. If what people say Lasix is a masking for other illegal drugs on raceday, I wonder how the reduced dose will affect some trainers.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #177
chadk66

Quote:
Lasix will still be permitted but at a maximum of 50 percent of the current levels. If what people say Lasix is a masking for other illegal drugs on raceday, I wonder how the reduced dose will affect some trainers.
with today's testing abilities it's very unlikely lasix masks many if any drugs anymore.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:53 PM   #178
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
with today's testing abilities it's very unlikely lasix masks many if any drugs anymore.
I don't buy that at all. If that were the case, WADA and the Olympics would permit the drug.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #179
Rex Phinney

Quote:

I don't pretend to be smart enough to know how the dosage affects the masking properties. But I bet the trainers are. Just a thought.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #180
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I don't buy that at all. If that were the case, WADA and the Olympics would permit the drug.
WADA is extremely over protective. You don't have to buy it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: