Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #16
Blenheim
Race Player

Johnny Tiz the Law . . .

What I found interesting was Franco and Tiz the Law had an excellent start, had the early lead but still “managed” to get caught in the pocket. How does that happen? That’s twice now . . . doesn’t inspire much confidence.

For 2019 Manuel Franco was ranked 9th by earnings and 15th by wins and for 2018 he was ranked 7th by earnings and 7th by wins; has four Breeders’ Cup wins on the turf but has never won a Classic. No doubt he is an elite jockey but there are better jockeys out there. If I recalls correctly, Tagg and Sackatoga had similar jockey drama w/Jose Santos and Funny Cide back in 2003.

I say act swiftly and decisively, switch him out while it’s still early, put Johnny V on the colt, end all the jockey drama and give the colt the best chance to win by putting a jockey up that can outride the Ortiz brothers.

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #17
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenheim View Post
What I found interesting was Franco and Tiz the Law had an excellent start, had the early lead but still “managed” to get caught in the pocket. How does that happen? That’s twice now . . . doesn’t inspire much confidence.
As has been explained by Barclay Tagg, the quotes are available in this thread, he was riding to instructions. You might disagree with the instructions, but blaming the rider for following them is moronic.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #18
Blenheim
Race Player

Do the work . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
As has been explained by Barclay Tagg, the quotes are available in this thread, he was riding to instructions. You might disagree with the instructions, but blaming the rider for following them is moronic.
Having read your post, it’s clear you didn’t read the thread, didn’t read Tagg’s instructions, didn’t review the video and you didn’t read the Equibase Footnotes. Take the time to do the work little guy . . . then tell us where Franco positioned Tiz the Law shortly after the 7/8ths pole and going into the backstretch. Considering his position, was Franco riding to instructions? Accuracy is so underrated.

With respect to the insult, I’m here to exchange ideas not insults, but I couldn’t pass it up. Who is the moron now?!

Enough of that. I repeat . . . Tagg and the Sackatoga connections should act swiftly and decisively, switch Franco out while it’s still early, put Johnny V on the colt, end all the jockey drama and give the colt the best chance to win by putting a jockey up that can outride the Ortiz brothers.

Last edited by Blenheim; 02-04-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #19
lamboguy

there is no better jockey alive today to ride TIZ THE LAW than Manny Franco.

this horse has been doing the same things since he started training. he is just beginning to figure things out now and will look better next time out.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #20
Racetrack Playa
regular user

1st Start

spatoga race 5

Old 02-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #21
the little guy

Quote:
Having read your post, it’s clear you didn’t read the thread, didn’t read Tagg’s instructions, didn’t review the video and you didn’t read the Equibase Footnotes. Take the time to do the work little guy . . . then tell us where Franco positioned Tiz the Law shortly after the 7/8ths pole and going into the backstretch. Considering his position, was Franco riding to instructions? Accuracy is so underrated.

With respect to the insult, I’m here to exchange ideas not insults, but I couldn’t pass it up. Who is the moron now?!

Enough of that. I repeat . . . Tagg and the Sackatoga connections should act swiftly and decisively, switch Franco out while it’s still early, put Johnny V on the colt, end all the jockey drama and give the colt the best chance to win by putting a jockey up that can outride the Ortiz brothers.
Elvis left the building when you told me to read the "Equibase footnotes."

But thanks for the advice on doing the work. I'll have to consider that going forward.

As for the ride....it's understandable to think Manny should have just let him roll along early, however, given the way he has been ridden in all his prior starts, and knowing Barclay, Manny was pretty much instructed NOT to be in front. However, given how sharply he broke, it becomes hard to rate AND not end up inside of horses. Now, the eventual second place finisher is quick early, and clearly Tiz the Law got caught in a proverbial package behind him, but frankly, Manny did a very good job of extracting him from that position without disrupting him, and getting him into a VERY comfortable spot. All things considered, I have no idea how Manny Franco is being reasonably criticized.

These races are actually considered preps for a reason....they are supposed to be learning experiences for young and relatively untested horses, to be used to help them be more successful in bigger races going forward. Seems like that is exactly what happened here.

I fully understand that John Velazquez has won a boatload more big races than Manny Franco. I also realize that if you asked Johnny who was going to win more big races in the next decade, he would say Manny Franco. He has to get the opportunities to do that. Tiz the Law is his first real chance. So far, so good.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:47 PM   #22
dilanesp

Quote:
Elvis left the building when you told me to read the "Equibase footnotes."

But thanks for the advice on doing the work. I'll have to consider that going forward.

As for the ride....it's understandable to think Manny should have just let him roll along early, however, given the way he has been ridden in all his prior starts, and knowing Barclay, Manny was pretty much instructed NOT to be in front. However, given how sharply he broke, it becomes hard to rate AND not end up inside of horses. Now, the eventual second place finisher is quick early, and clearly Tiz the Law got caught in a proverbial package behind him, but frankly, Manny did a very good job of extracting him from that position without disrupting him, and getting him into a VERY comfortable spot. All things considered, I have no idea how Manny Franco is being reasonably criticized.

These races are actually considered preps for a reason....they are supposed to be learning experiences for young and relatively untested horses, to be used to help them be more successful in bigger races going forward. Seems like that is exactly what happened here.

I fully understand that John Velazquez has won a boatload more big races than Manny Franco. I also realize that if you asked Johnny who was going to win more big races in the next decade, he would say Manny Franco. He has to get the opportunities to do that. Tiz the Law is his first real chance. So far, so good.
Andy, you were on track for the Champagne. Did you like Franco's ride there?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #23
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Andy, you were on track for the Champagne. Did you like Franco's ride there?
Why does being on track matter?

Once again, I believe Manny is riding to instructions. This horse has gotten similar rides in all his races. It's unlikely it's by accident.

Even a know-it-all like myself is able to defer to Barclay Tagg in this instance. We're very friendly. I'm confident if he wants my opinion on how Tiz the Law should be ridden, he won't be afraid to ask:-)
Old 02-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #24
dilanesp

Quote:
Why does being on track matter?

Once again, I believe Manny is riding to instructions. This horse has gotten similar rides in all his races. It's unlikely it's by accident.

Even a know-it-all like myself is able to defer to Barclay Tagg in this instance. We're very friendly. I'm confident if he wants my opinion on how Tiz the Law should be ridden, he won't be afraid to ask:-)
Maybe it doesn't matter to you, but I have always found I am able to see races better live (at least in good weather) than I ever can on replays.

At any rate, you kind of deflected the question- I have a lot of respect for your handicapping skills, and I assume you are watching the races and observing horses' trips. I would further assume that you might have your own judgment on such things even if you disagreed with the trainer.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #25
Blenheim
Race Player

No time to lose and suspicious minds . . .

Last year in the Rebel, Improbable and Van Dyke lost by a neck to Long Range Toddy. In the Arkansas, Irad Ortiz was up on Improbable, lost by a length to Omaha Beach - Baffert didn’t hesitate to switch jockeys. In the Kentucky, Jose Ortiz was up on Improbable, lost by three to Country House, once again Baffert didn’t hesitate to switch jockeys. In the Preakness, Hall of Fame and Triple Crown Winner Mike Smith was in the irons, scopolamine Bob didn’t give it a second thought.

As written, these are learning races for these colts . . . but not for the jockey; too much is at stake here and the opportunities too rare and fleeting to lose on a poor ride. Time to switch, no excuses, no drama, no time to lose and of course this is business, nothing personal.

It’ll be interesting to watch this drama unfold as the stakes get higher.

Elvis lives.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:41 PM   #26
GMB@BP

jockeys are overrated in the grand scheme of things. They are like factor 30 in a ranking.

I could take martin pedroza and put him on chad brown turf horses and he is winning at 30%.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2020, 12:00 AM   #27
Bobskim

This thread exemplifies why watching replays (trip handicapping) can be a huge advantage. The difference in opinions that occur while watching the same race, are fascinating to me.
Bobskim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #28
dilanesp

Quote:
Last year in the Rebel, Improbable and Van Dyke lost by a neck to Long Range Toddy. In the Arkansas, Irad Ortiz was up on Improbable, lost by a length to Omaha Beach - Baffert didn’t hesitate to switch jockeys. In the Kentucky, Jose Ortiz was up on Improbable, lost by three to Country House, once again Baffert didn’t hesitate to switch jockeys. In the Preakness, Hall of Fame and Triple Crown Winner Mike Smith was in the irons, scopolamine Bob didn’t give it a second thought.

As written, these are learning races for these colts . . . but not for the jockey; too much is at stake here and the opportunities too rare and fleeting to lose on a poor ride. Time to switch, no excuses, no drama, no time to lose and of course this is business, nothing personal.

Elvis lives.
Remember Baffert pulling Garrett Gomez off of Looking at Lucky and winning the Preakness?
Old 02-05-2020, 10:44 AM   #29
Blenheim
Race Player

Business, nothing personal . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Remember Baffert pulling Garrett Gomez off of Looking at Lucky and winning the Preakness?
Can't say that I recall that one . . . but I was just reading a brief article about him pulling Mike Smith off McKinzie for the BC Classic.

“I'm still going to use Mike on horses,” Baffert said. “But for the Classic, I'm going to make a change. I let Mike know now, because I want to give him a chance to get something else.”

I appreciate his professional attitude and he is all business. I believe the owners know he is all in and all out to do anything and everything to ensure victory.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:30 AM   #30
groupie doll

Quote:

Elvis lives.
But Tiz the Law won decisively. You are citing instances in which the jock was removed off a loss...unless I'm missing something.

Anyway, I rewatched the race a third time and Franco clearly keeps TTL off the rail going into the first turn, and is looking back to gauge the position of the others. I assume he initially wanted to let the pacesetter up the rail and stalk that one from the outside. When the 4 took the lead outside instead (and/or TTL drifted in or both; I'd have to rewatch again) TTL was left down on the rail. Franco then makes the tactful move to check back slightly, go out and around, apparently following pre-race instructions precisely, and resulting in a win.
I can't see how the jock can be faulted for this ride.
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply