Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

NY Equine Breakdown, Death, Injury and Incident Database Now Online + more

In conjunction with the passing of a 90 day rule (while they consider making it permanent) to void claims on horses who die during a claiming race or are euthanized on-track after the race, the New York State Racing & Wagering Board has also made public two searchable databases:

1) Equine Breakdown, Death, Injury and Incident Database

2) Racing and Wagering Board Ruling Database
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #2
Cardus
Veteran

It will take a while to analyze these databases, of which the first is likely to be dissected much more intensely than the second.

It is good to have this information.

Hopefully, this information will be used wisely.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
FenceBored

To anyone around here who'll be looking at the first database, go slow with aggregation, it looks like there may be a few duplicate entries (at least in 2009).

If I had to guess, maybe an injury that later became a fatality; the death was entered, and also the injury record modified to note the death.

For example:

EQUINE DEATH Non-Racing 07/01/2009 Unamed 07 Always Red Saratoga Racecourse (NYRA)

EQUINE DEATH Non-Racing 07/01/2009 Unamed 07 Always Red Saratoga Racecourse (NYRA)
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Who will be the primary users of this database
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
FenceBored

Just took another quick look at the 2009 EQUINE DEATH list. Too many "Unknown" types. My quick count has 84 of the 127 deaths listed in the main list for 2009 (includes harness as well as TB tracks) have Racing Type: Unknown. Clearly people were adjusting to the inputing standards and we should make allowances for this. By contrast, 2011 has no Unknown types. But for the database to be useful in the future somebody is going to need to go back and clean these Unknowns up.

For example, Alexandros (7/29/2009). The main list says "Racing Type: Unknown," but if you call up the detail the note says:
Alexandros was pulled up at the 5/8 pole and taken off the track.
No indication of whether this was a race, a timed workout, or a morning jog. Ok, go to Equibase, search the name it lists his last race as 7/29/2009 Saratoga, 4th race. Chart note: "Alexandros was pulled up at the 5/8 pole and taken off the track." Racing Type should be "Racing." 83 to go.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
nearco

Yes, it does look like the early entries were a bit sloppy. There's also a few double entries. But it's a good start.
They also list everything in there, from a horse euthe'd because of colic, to a horse found in his stall with a fractured leg (must have kicked the walls a bit too hard), so it seems fairly comprehensive.
What would be nice is some stats on numbers of races/starts etc, either in this or a separate database. Distance of race and the going too would be nice too, but that may be pie in the sky.
nearco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
FantasticDan
gelding

I spent some time looking this over yesterday. Found quite a few horses I'd followed over recent years. For eg, now I know the fate of Ricoriatoa, a son of Smarty Jones who I thought was getting the winter off. He was euthanized this past December..

Was lame in his stall approximately four (4) days after galloping on training track, xray revealed fx RF sesamoid, horse euthanized,Tr. Chris Englehart
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

There are way too many names on these lists.God Bless the horses
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
PETA for one.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
FenceBored

Kudos to the folks overseeing this database. Someone there noticed the "unknowns" in the public interface from 2009 and corrections are being made.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Oh, I don't know. If you pull up a detail record on a particular incident the trainer (and jockey, if relevant) link to a search which allows you to see all the incidents in which that individual has been involved. So not only does this database allow for examination of the tracks' record, it can be used to examine the performance of trainers and jockeys/drivers within New York. Has one rider/trainer had more than his/her share of incidents? I don't know, but I could.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
PETA for one.
Can't see PETA wanting to know how many times Maylan Studart has fallen off since the start of 2009 (i.e. # of "Fall of Rider" records), but others might. Not to be a tease, as of this morning that number is 1.

Plus, she's not cited as the jockey in any "Equine Death" records.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
FenceBored

The NYSRWB's incident database has already been updated with a record for Bojan's fall [Racing Injury] in Friday's 1st at AQU. Real time updating.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #14
Grits

Today in the finale at Big A, there was another spill involving two horses, claimers. One was vanned off. The other, Rotten To The Core, died instantly due to head trauma or a broken neck when he fell over the already fallen horse. It was devastating to witness. The jock was transported to the hospital.

RIP "Rotten To The Core", I instantly loved your name, and you, because of it.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Not that it helps the horses anyway, but at least it wasn't a horse breaking down, just traffic troubles.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply