Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 05-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
bill evans

Quirin figures program

I am looking to purchase or have someone write a program for me that imports the PP's from a vendor like BRISNET or PTS and computes the Quirin pace and speed figures from the paceline(s) selected by the user. I would like to integrate Cynthia Publishing or Gordon Pine pars into the program. Anyone out there who can help? Thanks.
bill evans is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Partsnut
BetMix User

Bill Evans:
Quote:
I am looking to purchase or have someone write a program for me that imports the PP's from a vendor like BRISNET or PTS and computes the Quirin pace and speed figures from the paceline(s) selected by the user. I would like to integrate Cynthia Publishing or Gordon Pine pars into the program. Anyone out there who can help? Thanks.
Hi Bill,

I used to subscribe to Dr.Quirins par times and his Track to Track adjustments
until he gave up horse racing for golf. He was and possibly still is a Math professor at Hofstra university (Long Island, NY).
Quirins strength was computer generated impact numbers and track par times.

Years ago, there were no speed numbers in the past performances and they had to be calculated by the handicapper.

To make a long story short all speed figures and/or par times that are provided today by Gordon Pine, Dave Schwartz, C.J. and Randy Giles use the basic elements (impact values) that Quirin set forth.
The providers I mentioned are all talented and excellent providers and talking to them might be a good place to start. They are all participants of this forum.

Last edited by Partsnut; 05-25-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
proximity

handicapper jeebus1083 started a thread last year where i gave some information about converting bris figures to quirin figures.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=58801

personally, i'd use the dave schwartz horsestreet pars instead of cynthia's as the horsestreet pars are actually pure quirin style pars (10,000 clm=100 and +/- 1/5 sec= 1 point at all distances).
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Big Bill

proximity,

Going back to your post on June 13, 2009, on the Conversion of BRIS to Quirin thread, you offered the following formula:

(bris+(beaten lengths*(10/furlongs in race))-88)*(furlongs*0.10)+100-beaten lengths

Here's my question: Is the 0.10 in the formula a constant? If it is not a constant, does it change with the BRIS value of a length of the Speed Rating?

Big Bill
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill evans
Hi Bill,

I think what you want has been created already. It is a dos program called Modern Pace Handicapping. It has an add on module that created the Quirin pace/speed figs. You can print all the pacelines or pick pacelines. You will need an old version of the program (1.2 or 1.4) that uses Bris files as well as the add-on module.

As I said it is in dos so be sure you can run dos programs. You can perform a search on "Modern pace Handicapping" and/or "brohamer" and find more information.

Jim

Last edited by JimG; 05-25-2010 at 09:04 PM.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill

Going back to your post on June 13, 2009, on the Conversion of BRIS to Quirin thread, you offered the following formula:

(bris+(beaten lengths*(10/furlongs in race))-88)*(furlongs*0.10)+100-beaten lengths

Here's my question: Is the 0.10 in the formula a constant?
yes, the 0.10 is a constant.

the (furlongs*0.10) part tells us how many quirin points equals one bris point at that distance. (approximately)
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
llegend39
Veteran

Modern Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
Hi Bill,

I think what you want has been created already. It is a dos program called Modern Pace Handicapping. It has an add on module that created the Quirin pace/speed figs. You can print all the pacelines or pick pacelines. You will need an old version of the program (1.2 or 1.4) that uses Bris files as well as the add-on module.

As I said it is in dos so be sure you can run dos programs. You can perform a search on "Modern pace Handicapping" and/or "brohamer" and find more information.

Jim
Its sold by trackmaster
llegend39 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
Jingle

LLEGEND39

I don't think when Ken Massa turned the MPH Program over to Trackmaster it included the Quirin Pace & Speed Module. I know it didn't include the automatic paceline(s) feature. Jim G is correct but it is ver 1.3, Massa's last version. Ver 1.4 is Trackmasters.

The DOS program should run on your computer as Massa included some Windows features. If it doesn't, there is a program called TAME that will allow you to run the program in Windows. I don't know about Vista. Hope this helps.
Jingle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
STABLEMATE

TAME

I have Tame, and went (reluctantly) from Windows to Vista, and it still works fine with my DOS programs.
STABLEMATE is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
socantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle
LLEGEND39

I don't think when Ken Massa turned the MPH Program over to Trackmaster it included the Quirin Pace & Speed Module. I know it didn't include the automatic paceline(s) feature. Jim G is correct but it is ver 1.3, Massa's last version. Ver 1.4 is Trackmasters.

The Trackmaster version 1.4 DOES have the Quirin Pace & Speed module. It DOES NOT have any auto paceline selection method. You pick the paceline(s).

I use it with the BRIS *.drf files or with Trackmaster *.exe files that have been processed by their Axlate utility, which Trackmaster tells me is obsolete. I have never tried it with the Trackmaster comma delimited files.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #11
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by socantra
The Trackmaster version 1.4 DOES have the Quirin Pace & Speed module. It DOES NOT have any auto paceline selection method. You pick the paceline(s).

I use it with the BRIS *.drf files or with Trackmaster *.exe files that have been processed by their Axlate utility, which Trackmaster tells me is obsolete. I have never tried it with the Trackmaster comma delimited files.
Hi socantra,

Must be a lot of versions of this program floating out there. Mine says version 1.4 (1996) on the opening screen with a program (mph.exe) date in the file directory of 7/11/1995 and I also use with bris files and it DOES have the auto paceline feature and the Quirin fig module. Maybe I have a version Massa did just prior to Tom going full time with Trackmaster?

Jim

Last edited by JimG; 05-26-2010 at 11:04 AM.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
socantra

You're right Jim, there do seem to be a few. I went back and looked at mine and found it is actually version 1.2, from 1994. I did purchase it from Trackmaster 5 or 6 years ago and most of the files on the original floppy are from the early 90's. Trackmaster was advertising ver 1.4 at the time. I don't know if they sent me the wrong version or what. I do remember I had a hard time finding anyone there who knew anything about it.

Anyway, It handled either BRIS *.DRF files, computer Sports World files, or Today's Racing Digest *.TRD files. Ican't find any sort of auto paceline selection, but it has model, profile, Beyer input and odds line along with fps, Quirin ratings and fractional times. Nice program.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I think I have your version - I love it.
I like putting in several lines for each horse and looking at them individually.
I hate averaging lines.

The Quirin numbers are very good, IMHO. They work very nice using the fulcrum idea and the PBS idea.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
Pcon04

program

Is that program still available to purchase??And where??

thanks

pcon
Pcon04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #15
llegend39
Veteran

MPH -Trackmaster

Tom Brohamer's Modern Pace Handicapper (MPH)

The MPH Handicapping Program is based on Tom Brohamer's best selling book Modern Pace Handicapping, published in 1991 by William Morrow & Company and thought by many to be the premier book on pace handicapping. This program automates many tedious manual calculations and reports for evaluating pace that advanced players previously undertook by hand. Combining the ability of manual input or direct download from TrackMaster using the free converter progam with TrackMaster PPs or TrackMaster Plus files, Modern Pace Handicapping is one of the friendliest, most forgiving, and most accurate velocity pace handicapping programs you'll ever use.
llegend39 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: