Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-14-2016, 02:36 AM   #46
AlsoEligible

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
Yeah but you're leaving out the meat and potatoes...

First off to do it would be costly. They want every ADW to do it. Some would tell them to pound sand and leave so that $$$. Who pays for it? Certainly not the horseman. The ADW. When the ADW pays who are the costs trickled down to? You and me.

Second, the technology they want is expensive. Basically the ADWs would have to geolocate all their customers to ensure they're not in 100 acres in Arcadia. Also when it can't read your location you can't bet.

Basically they want someone else to spend thousands of dollars so purses can go up hundreds of dollars.
It's really not an expensive cutting edge technology. I have dozens of apps on my phone that incorporate location services. If my free weather app made by a freelance iOS developer can figure out where I'm located, then surely it's not a large mountain for a major ADW company to climb.

It's not even new to the gambling industry; most of the books in Nevada will make sure you're on the premises before letting you use their apps, as do a lot of the shops in other countries. Hell, some of the ADWs we're talking about already do it. For those who don't, it's a one-time expense, which further negates the idea of it being too costly. Once the infrastructure is in place it's done, even if other states decide to follow California's lead.

One of the biggest knocks I see on the technical side of the industry (totes, ADWs, etc) is that we're all using antiquated technology. Then when a jurisdiction does make a push for those companies to get with the times, it's suddenly too costly.

ADW companies in Cali already operate with no margin (a couple even lose money in CA and make it up in other states). If they were going to tell the CHRB to pound sand they would have done it a long time ago. They'll set this up without a huge expense, the facilities we spend time at will make a little bit more from our wagers....and it'll have no impact on you or me besides having to allow their apps to see our location. The outcry over this is totally overblown imo.

EDIT: to add that you do make a good point about people being locked out if for whatever reason their device can't locate them. I don't really know what you do about that, but I would have to think hope?) that it's only a small number of people affected by it.

Last edited by AlsoEligible; 12-14-2016 at 02:50 AM.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #47
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
That's silly. The track still makes a profit. It draws big crowds for its big race days (watch what happens on December 26).
One day doesn't make a Season. In 2000, the racetrack was named to America's "Most Endangered Historic Places" list. The Santa Anita Racetrack was determined eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places in 2006,[21] but continued to be threatened by developer's plans. A themed entertainment complex proposal was aborted, but there were new plans are in the works for the parking and support areas adjacent to the historic race track and grandstands.[6]
In 2006, there was a proposal to close Santa Anita Park and use its location as the site of a new retail/entertainment complex. The Arcadia City Council approved a plan In April 2007 to develop an 830,000 square foot commercial, retail, and office complex in the south parking area, where the barracks that housed interned Japanese Americans during World War II are located. The proposal planned to tear down the South Ticket Gate and the 1938 Saddling Barn, and to install a simulcast facility in the center of the historic grandstand.[6] In April 2008, a plan was approved to use large parts of the existing track parking lot to construct a mall, the "Shops at Santa Anita" [22][23]
As of May 2011, the plans to build another mall next to Santa Anita Park were abandoned. Protests against the project by the Westfield group, owner of the adjacent Westfield Santa Anita Mall (built in 1974 on the site of the old barns and training track), and the bankruptcy of Magna International, owner of Santa Anita Park, were a factor in the decision.[24] my friend need to look at the Profit and Lost statements and then you will know . When Stonich gets tired of the bleeding it's gone.
PUT A FORK IN IT.

Last edited by airford1; 12-15-2016 at 04:18 PM.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #48
AlsoEligible

Another CHRB meeting in the books, and I don't think any progress was made on any of the agenda items. Kick the can to 2017. What a mess.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #49
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1
One day doesn't make a Season. In 2000, the racetrack was named to America's "Most Endangered Historic Places" list. The Santa Anita Racetrack was determined eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places in 2006,[21] but continued to be threatened by developer's plans. A themed entertainment complex proposal was aborted, but there were new plans are in the works for the parking and support areas adjacent to the historic race track and grandstands.[6]
In 2006, there was a proposal to close Santa Anita Park and use its location as the site of a new retail/entertainment complex. The Arcadia City Council approved a plan In April 2007 to develop an 830,000 square foot commercial, retail, and office complex in the south parking area, where the barracks that housed interned Japanese Americans during World War II are located. The proposal planned to tear down the South Ticket Gate and the 1938 Saddling Barn, and to install a simulcast facility in the center of the historic grandstand.[6] In April 2008, a plan was approved to use large parts of the existing track parking lot to construct a mall, the "Shops at Santa Anita" [22][23]
As of May 2011, the plans to build another mall next to Santa Anita Park were abandoned. Protests against the project by the Westfield group, owner of the adjacent Westfield Santa Anita Mall (built in 1974 on the site of the old barns and training track), and the bankruptcy of Magna International, owner of Santa Anita Park, were a factor in the decision.[24] my friend need to look at the Profit and Lost statements and then you will know . When Stonich gets tired of the bleeding it's gone.
PUT A FORK IN IT.
None of those plans called for closing the track. The historic landmark people are worried about Stronach doing what he did to Gulfstream.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2016, 10:33 PM   #50
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible
Another CHRB meeting in the books, and I don't think any progress was made on any of the agenda items. Kick the can to 2017. What a mess.

Other than, apparently, booting out some ADWs---which wasn't even on the agenda.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s....php?p=2087922
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #51
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
None of those plans called for closing the track. The historic landmark people are worried about Stronach doing what he did to Gulfstream.
O.K. you Win.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2016, 11:26 PM   #52
nik21precious

California Horse Racing

California Horse racing has a plan that has been in effect for the last 10 years. Blame Slot Gambling and hope it gets better. There has not been any real push to help the Owners turn a profit or the players either.
nik21precious is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2016, 12:35 AM   #53
thaskalos

Hasn't the CHRB been saying for over a decade now that they are in the "entertainment" business...and that they don't have to compete with other gambling venues because their only competition comes from the "Clippers and the Lakers"?

Why would a horseplayer care if California Racing revives or not? SCREW THEM...I say.