Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-08-2017, 11:23 PM   #76
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
Sure, but after two decades or so, there should already be some normalization, unless the ineptness of those involved is even more epic than we imagine .
They got so deep in the hole it is hard to dig out. The link posted earlier to the Bloodhorse article is from early 2008. It even mentions quotes a Youbet executive!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2017, 11:23 PM   #77
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It just officially hit the wire. Lets not beat up on HANA like 10 minutes into this.
I received an email from the HANA site explaining their disappointment over the increases.
This is a sharp increase in what is essentially a tax on the front end of the wager.
At this particular juncture of the history of horse racing, raising the cost to play the game is not in the best interests of anyone.
I believe this increase will adversely affect handle. Starting with the Keeneland Fall meet of 2017.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2017, 11:42 PM   #78
Quesmark

HANA's website has grown stale,the latest track ratings to compare takeout etc. are from 2014:
Quote:
HANA Information Center

Resources /Track Ratings
http://www.horseplayersassociation.o...resources.html

HANA 2014 Track Ratings
http://www.horseplayersassociation.o...leratings.html
Quesmark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2017, 11:44 PM   #79
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesmark View Post
HANA's website has grown stale,the latest track ratings to compare takeout etc. are from 2014:
http://www.horseplayersassociation.o...7Sortable.html

http://www.horseplayersassociation.o...6Sortable.html

http://www.horseplayersassociation.o...5Sortable.html

They are right on the front page (http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/), not sure where you are looking. Hope these help.

Last edited by cj; 08-08-2017 at 11:46 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2017, 12:26 AM   #80
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Basically 99% of my play now is at NYRA. They get it and run a first class operation. The rest seem to be clown shoes

Z
Old 08-09-2017, 12:34 AM   #81
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
Basically 99% of my play now is at NYRA. They get it and run a first class operation. The rest seem to be clown shoes

Z
yea, they never have risen rates
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2017, 12:49 AM   #82
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:

Z
Friggin foot Doc. "clown shoes"
Old 08-09-2017, 01:10 AM   #83
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
I received an email from the HANA site explaining their disappointment over the increases.
This is a sharp increase in what is essentially a tax on the front end of the wager.
At this particular juncture of the history of horse racing, raising the cost to play the game is not in the best interests of anyone.
I believe this increase will adversely affect handle. Starting with the Keeneland Fall meet of 2017.
At this point in the demise of racing it is hard to isolate whether a decline is just a continuation of the ongoing decline or whether it is tied to an increase in takeout. The folks who post here at PA and other sites are much more sophisticated than the average bettor in my opinion, but represent a very small percentage of the betting public. Regardless, the increase doesn't help.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #84
thaskalos

Quote:

Z
It's mid-August...and, so far, this year's NYRA season has been one of the worst in the country, IMO. They might be a "first-class operation"...but they sure are putting out a "third-rate product" this year. And, if memory serves...their product LAST year sucked as well. Hardly what we expected after the stratospheric rise of the NYRA purses.

Last edited by thaskalos; 08-09-2017 at 01:18 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2017, 01:13 AM   #85
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
This is the consequence of failure to boycott Ca over the jackpot bet follies and the late announced gelding scandals. Ca was an easy jurisdiction to make a statement but HANA never stepped up.

It's all right here and there were multiple times before this that they should have stepped up.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...boycott&page=2
I always boycott CA. I haven't made one bet @Del Mar. Last time I made a bet there was the BC.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2017, 06:17 AM   #86
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It has already been happening. It may not be a boycott, but bettors are leaving and have been for years.
Then it has no relation to the boycott I was talking about.
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2017, 06:31 AM   #87
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post
Probably the same reason a nationwide boycott of smack use to protest prices would never fly.
Thanks. I didnt think it was necessary to spell it out.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #88
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
It's mid-August...and, so far, this year's NYRA season has been one of the worst in the country, IMO. They might be a "first-class operation"...but they sure are putting out a "third-rate product" this year. And, if memory serves...their product LAST year sucked as well. Hardly what we expected after the stratospheric rise of the NYRA purses.
rising purses have nothing to do with good racing, if anything it hurts the product.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #89
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
rising purses have nothing to do with good racing, if anything it hurts the product.
How does it hurt the product? I can see how it may hurt the bettors as it leads to higher takeout but cant see how it hurts the actual races being run which is the "product" we are betting on.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #90
Seabiscuit@AR

The problem with raising purses is none of the raise in purses goes to the owners

Most of the raise goes to the breeding barons who own the studs. These breeding barons will raise their stud fees as soon as the purses go up

What you then end up with is higher yearling prices which means more expensive racehorses which means an ever smaller percentage of the population can afford to buy a horse. Which means less owners and less interest in the races etc etc
Seabiscuit@AR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply