Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Stillriledup
Veteran

Del Mar cancels show betting on a Ferndale race.

STOP HANDICAPPING. Geez, i took this from the CHRB news and notes section for del mar (aug 21). Now we have guys looking at the morning line and deciding what kind of bets they are going to accept? Leave the handicapping up to the horseplayers. If someone wants to make a large show bet on a mule race, let them. Its a long run losing bet anyway. I don't understand why these people continue to do dumb things. Ferndale had no problem having show wagering on their race, but Del Mar got yellow fever and cancelled it.

DEL MAR CANCELS SHOW WAGERING ON FERNDALE MULE RACE
Michael Ernst, the Executive Vice President of Finance and Chief Financial Officer for Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, came into the office shortly before 2:00 P.M. this afternoon to alert the Stewards to the fact that early this morning-around 8:00 A.M. – he made the unilateral decision to not accept “Show” wagers on the first race at the Humboldt County Fair in Ferndale. He said that he was alerted to the fact that the mule, #5 My Allowance, was even money in the morning line and appeared to be much the best. There was the possibility that one of the “plungers” in Southern California could wager a large sum of money on the mule to “Show”, causing a large minus pool which could impact purse money. It should be noted that this race was for mules with a speed index of 70 or under, so suffice it to say that there was no Zenyatta or even a Bar JF Hot Ticket in the field.
Pari-mutuel Manager William Navarro was contacted and said that on Thursday morning he became aware of the possible minus pool and sent an e-mail to Humboldt County Fair Manager Stuart Titus requesting he petition the Board to allow Ferndale to cancel Show wagering on the first race Friday. He received a response from Titus at 5:17 P.M. denying his request. Seemingly, case closed and Del Mar would be expected to offer whatever Ferndale was offering.
Additionally, Mr. Ernst said that he was not able to get in touch with any Commissioner or anyone on the Board’s executive staff so he took it upon himself to not offer the wager. He took full responsibility for his actions.
At one point during the conversation Mr. Ernst brought up the possibility of opening up Show wagering on the Ferndale race. The Stewards informed him that doing so would only compound the problem since the pool had not been open for approximately six hours. Kirk Breed was alerted to the matter for further
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
kenwoodall2

Rule:

"Rule No. Rule Title
1954 Parimutuel Pools.
Rule Text The association shall provide, win, place and show pools in any race in which there are five ormore separate wagering interests which are obligated to start. The association shall provide winand place pools where there are four separate wagering interests which are obligated to start.The association shall provide a win pool only in any race where less than four separatewagering interests are obligated to start. Upon a showing of good cause, the Board may waivethe requirement for a place or show pool in any race. "

I will no longer bet or support California racing until further notice.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Charlie D

I agree with your stance Kenwoodhall2. They can't just go about changing rules when it suits imho.

Last edited by Charlie D; 08-24-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
kenwoodall2

Not news!

Your quote is from the Steward's meeting 8-21, not "New and notes". Thank you. I sent emails to CHRB and NYRA ending my relationship with Ca racing and offering to give NYRA promotional suggestions.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

They can get rid of bridge jumpers simply by eliminating breakage. Make the minimum payout $2.02.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwoodall2
Your quote is from the Steward's meeting 8-21, not "New and notes". Thank you. I sent emails to CHRB and NYRA ending my relationship with Ca racing and offering to give NYRA promotional suggestions.
Correct. Sorry about the error.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
rwwupl

Quote:
"Rule No. Rule Title
1954 Parimutuel Pools.
Rule Text The association shall provide, win, place and show pools in any race in which there are five ormore separate wagering interests which are obligated to start. The association shall provide winand place pools where there are four separate wagering interests which are obligated to start.The association shall provide a win pool only in any race where less than four separatewagering interests are obligated to start. Upon a showing of good cause, the Board may waivethe requirement for a place or show pool in any race. "

I will no longer bet or support California racing until further notice.

Ken, The CHRB is investigating this, and they will report what is going on...I t appears that the D/M exec. overstepped his authority and made a mistake.

I have also filed,as you have that they should put up a sign " No gambling allowed"

Do not be hasty...lets see what they do. I will post it .
rwwupl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
TEJAS KIDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
They can get rid of bridge jumpers simply by eliminating breakage. Make the minimum payout $2.02.
They can get rid of bridge jumpers simply by making sure My Allowance doesnt finish in the money.
TEJAS KIDD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
affirmedny

Meadowlands does this EVERY DAY. The track taking the bet is responsible for paying any bridgejumper bet made at their facilities. That's why they do it. They have some dolt from the racing office go through every card and he cancels show wagering on every race where the ML favorite is less than 2-1 and there are 6 horses or less (or so it seems).
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny
Meadowlands does this EVERY DAY. The track taking the bet is responsible for paying any bridgejumper bet made at their facilities. That's why they do it. They have some dolt from the racing office go through every card and he cancels show wagering on every race where the ML favorite is less than 2-1 and there are 6 horses or less (or so it seems).
There may be different rules governing cancelling of pools in New Jersey.

________
David-LV
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #11
kenwoodall2

What they do

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwupl
Ken, The CHRB is investigating this, and they will report what is going on...I t appears that the D/M exec. overstepped his authority and made a mistake.

I have also filed,as you have that they should put up a sign " No gambling allowed"

Do not be hasty...lets see what they do. I will post it .
What they do= Not require AT at LA; key cars; censor Steve Woods (then ashalt floats up at SA); Harris, Moss win BC's then lobby for future extreme takeout given to themselves; special privilege given owners in an illegal bill in violation Ca codes; make jokes out of serious horseplayers; admit fear of trainers' lawyers; test only 1/2 of post race samples taken; refuse to ban cancel delays. All in all, allow too much room for cheating and corruption. I voicemailed Perez' George about violation of "Urgency bill" Ca code today as 2414 sits in the Rules committee.
All I am waiting for is the rejection or withdrawal of 2414.

Last edited by kenwoodall2; 08-24-2010 at 11:28 PM.
kenwoodall2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
startngate

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
Making the minimum payout $2.02 would not eliminate minus pools, it would just reduce the number, or minimize the size. Eliminating breakage without a minimum payout would do it, as people wouldn't bridge jump if they knew they could actually lose money on a successful bet.
Quote:
"Rule No. Rule Title
1954 Parimutuel Pools.
Rule Text The association shall provide, win, place and show pools in any race in which there are five or more separate wagering interests which are obligated to start. The association shall provide win and place pools where there are four separate wagering interests which are obligated to start.The association shall provide a win pool only in any race where less than four separate wagering interests are obligated to start. Upon a showing of good cause, the Board may waive the requirement for a place or show pool in any race. "
This only states that the host track has to offer the pool. It does not state that a guest site must accept wagers for it. For example, if NYRA cancelled show betting on one of its races, I doubt Del Mar would be required to create a pool to offer it (assuming the field size requirements were met). There may be another rule that covers it though for in-State races.

Last edited by startngate; 08-25-2010 at 09:24 AM.
startngate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #13
kenwoodall2

Rule 2057

I think this is the right one, why the DM exec said he would independently take responsibility for refusing the pool!:
(9) No guest association shall conduct wagering on any race or races other than those approvedby the Board or simulcast by its host association. (10) No guest association, except as provided for in Business and Professions Code Section19605.3, may discontinue its operation nor conduct any activity which would causeinterruption of the signal without giving the Board and the host association prior written noticewithin fifteen (15) calendar days of such discontinuance or other change
Old 08-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
InTheRiver68

You guys really need to get over this. Ernst made a decision to protect his organization's business interests ... good for him! That's his job! And remember, this is coming from someone who LOVES to bet against bridgejumpers.

- InTheRiver68
InTheRiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
bane

What a bunch of JACKASSES!
bane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: