Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-26-2022, 05:02 PM   #46
lamboguy

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/portab...power-station/

you can get one of these that should power your house for about 12 hours. it takes 10 hours to fully charge this thing from empty with solar panels. you hook this into your circuit breakers and away you go. with this thing, you don't go through the grid at all. my guess is that it will take about 5 years to perfect power stations like this for homes to produce and store electricity.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2022, 11:27 PM   #47
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED View Post
just seen this poking around. They believe the fire was caused by the batteries in the electric cars. 4,000 Luxury vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tph5hza8dnU
the ship sank
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2022, 09:55 PM   #48
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Hmmmm ………

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E5A0B523-8FE6-4003-9D81-E159E04016A4.jpeg (402.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-08-2022, 10:01 PM   #49
JustRalph
Just another Facist

They doin it……..

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B5C90CB4-8B53-423B-88D9-35C011B5B455.jpeg (402.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-08-2022, 11:17 PM   #50
davew

better get your electric car now .... nickel needed for the batteries doubled in last couple days as a short squeeze shut down trading on LME.

what is the grown-up administration going to do now? the biggest depression EVER is coming before those dimwits are voted out of office...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news...cid=uxbndlbing
Old 03-24-2022, 05:46 PM   #51
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Logistics question.

How will it take to charge a car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
They certainly need to improve the technology before I consider an electric car. They are useless for any long trips unless you want to spend twice as long traveling.

But I think they will make those improvements
It takes twice as long to charge a battery as it does to drain it. It's been many years since I studied this question but it has to do with the Carnot cycle of thermodynamics, meaning that no advance in technology is going to change it.

My own approach to the problem would be to use my electric car (if I had one) only for local trips, which accounts for more than 95% of my needs. For longer trips I would travel by air, bus or AmTrak.

I have heard some rather interesting proposals.
  1. Use electric power to break down water into hydrogen and oxygen. Release the oxygen into the atmosphere and burn the hydrogen in your car. This would require minimal modification of your car.
  2. Use electricity to create octane. One molecule of octane consists of eight carbon atoms and ten hydrogen atoms. The raw ingredients would be carbon dioxide and water, both plentiful in the atmosphere. Octane is a major component of gasoline and you could burn it with zero modifications to you car. The fly in the ointment is that there is currently no off-the-shelf equipment for the process so a major investment would be required.
  3. Replace gas stations with battery stations. Pull into a station and trade in your discharged batter for a freshly charged one. The station then recharges the batter for its next customer.
  4. Install a solar panel in the side of cars. The place lasers beside the road at intervals of 100 feet or so. Passing cars would trigger the laser to generate a light pulse which would charge the battery enough to make it to the next laser. The fly in the ointment is a major investment in infrastructure. Would private industry make this investment rather than the government?
Old 03-24-2022, 06:01 PM   #52
davew

Instead of sending $300 every month for gas, just give a $100K tax credit for purchase of any EV.

And then after you screw up the electric grid, you can send money for increase electricity costs.

And don't forget the increased costs of food - Ukraine/Russia will cut available food to the world so more people WILL DIE of starvation.

Maybe forcing is a bad idea after all
Old 03-24-2022, 06:04 PM   #53
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Lots of this will be going on………

I took this a few days ago

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5CBD01B8-4695-48F8-8D10-18194ABCBB81.jpg (523.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-24-2022, 11:51 PM   #54
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevecsd2 View Post
Where is all that electricity going to come from? It takes 62 KWH to charge a Nissan Leaf for 226 miles. If a person drives only 1,000 miles a month that is an extra 250 KWH per month. Last month we only used 615 KWH total. That would increase our usage by 30%. Multiply that 250 extra KWH per month by the millions that will need it for electric cars and you're talking a huge amount of new electricity that will be needed. Just look at what happened in Texas during the month of February, 2021. Not only would those people been without heat, they could have been stranded with electricity in their cars.
Tell me what I’m missing. In Illinois a KWH costs 12.56 cents. Times 62 means it would cost me $7.79 to charge my electric car to travel 226 miles. If I had an electric car. To travel that 226 miles in the Toyota Rav 4 I actually own, would cost me about $47 at today’s prices.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:15 AM   #55
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Tell me what I’m missing. In Illinois a KWH costs 12.56 cents. Times 62 means it would cost me $7.79 to charge my electric car to travel 226 miles. If I had an electric car. To travel that 226 miles in the Toyota Rav 4 I actually own, would cost me about $47 at today’s prices.
If most majority future IL vehicle operators have to charge their electric vehicles, I'd expect the cost per KWH would rise significantly. Plus there would be the monthly (or sizeable purchase cost) of that vehicle. I also wouldn't count on a great trade in allowance on a obsolete/phasing out Fossil Fuel vehicle.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2022, 12:22 AM   #56
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Along with that expectable rise in electricity price, everyone's overall electric bills would rise as well.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2022, 12:59 AM   #57
Elkchester Road

Quote:
About the answer anybody would expect from you...as you see about as far as the end of your nose. If you think for one second you will ever get Electricity for that price if Electric Vehicles increase in usage...you are delusional.

You sure are a Gullible one.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:47 AM   #58
davew

Quote:
cost of batteries and how long they last
Old 03-26-2022, 05:21 AM   #59
TJDave

It’s my hope that every American fundamentally opposed to electric be forced, at gunpoint, to buy an EV….But not a good one. One that has less than a 50 mile range and is prone towards spontaneous combustion.

Last edited by TJDave; 03-26-2022 at 05:28 AM.
TJDave is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2022, 06:00 AM   #60
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
It’s my hope that every American fundamentally opposed to electric be forced, at gunpoint, to buy an EV….But not a good one. One that has less than a 50 mile range and is prone towards spontaneous combustion.
or else put into re-education camps.