Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-30-2022, 12:03 PM   #1
Bullet Plane

Charge It. Giraffe?

The late , great Cary Forties had a term for a horse that jumped up and ran a big speed figure that was out of line with the rest of the races. He called the number a giraffe. Im wondering if Charge It's Dwyer isn't going to fit in that category. Its a little early to make a call on it, but it makes me wonder.

He reminds me somewhat of Bellamy Road who ran a huge BSF of 120 in the 2005 Wood Memorial. winning by 17 and a half lengths. . He had previously ran a 96 in an allowance win. Thats a 24 point jump. He went on to lose the Kentucky Derby as the favorite. He was a speed horse, and the closers had the advantage that year, Giacomo won it.
Bellamy Road later ran in the Travers and came in second with a 106 BSF.

What I'm talking about isn't a performance bounce, but a set of odd race dynamics that lead to a big win by multiple lengths that never is repeated.

Charge It ran a 93 BSF in the Florida Derby, then comes back to run a 111 (133 TFUS) in the Dwyer, a jump of 18 points. And he won by 23 lengths.

Anybody with any thoughts on this phenomenon? And if Charge It is going to be another giraffe?
Bullet Plane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2022, 12:40 PM   #2
PalaceOfFortLarned

Good thread.

I'm not gonna throw away his 23 length win, but I'm also not gonna say he is the best of the 3YO division either.

Liked him in the Florida Derby, and he was green as heck losing to White Abarrio. Pretty sure we can all toss out the Kentucky Derby, so I'm really not sure what to think of Charge It.

The talent is there, but can he beat anybody with a pulse is the question.
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2022, 02:37 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I never those Beyers serioudly.
I make the winning matgin 2 lengths and re-calculate the fig, then, if the horse looks good ok.

Too many run away winners on those 1 turn route races to get excited about them.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:07 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

We always here about the big fig jump ups that don't run well next out, but I'd be willing to bet more often than not they do run well. This doesn't apply to older horses, but 2, 3, and even early season 4...yes.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2022, 04:46 PM   #5
MJC922

Fwiw I have it as a top but not anything other-worldly. On a 'sheet'-scale 10, 10, 9, 15, 7 so a two point top and par for grade one 3yo win is a 7. Nice line starting with a pair of 10s and going to a 9 then down to a 7. I would have to call it as standard development by a lightly raced horse vs one isolated number though. I'm not familiar with the term giraffe. The forward moves are larger on a regular time based speed figure because age related development is not built in, whereas with my numbers it's relative to everyone else as a group so to a degree it is built in.

Last edited by MJC922; 07-30-2022 at 04:48 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply