Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-13-2022, 07:24 AM   #16
HorsemenHeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
It's pretty clear from recent events that some of them are about taking away people's rights.
Which Constitutional rights are about to be taken away?
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2022, 09:39 AM   #17
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Well, the right of individual states to conduct their regulatory oversight of racing as they see fit could be one, but you can't ask that question here, this is the Racing Room!
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2022, 10:32 AM   #18
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsemenHeist View Post
Which Constitutional rights are about to be taken away?
Given time I am sure there will be others but a pretty big one happened a few weeks ago. I'm sure it's being intelligently discussed in the off topic section. I don't go there but fortunately Rastajenk does and he also wanted to bring it here, despite it being against the rules.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2022, 10:35 AM   #19
classhandicapper

I think we'd be better off discussing the risk reward of Covid vaccines for various age and health groups before discussing what the Constitution guarantees.

I'm skeptical any of this HISA stuff is going to work even though I agree with a lot of the intention. The road to hell..... and all.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 07-13-2022 at 10:37 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2022, 02:06 AM   #20
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I have been derelict in my duties lately...I apologize that politics outside the realm of racing politics has crept into this thread.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:38 AM   #21
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

You shouldn't apologize for anything. Nothing has happened here that should offend anyone's tender sensibilities.

Going forward, how can the role of HISA be discussed in a vacuum, when it's a purely political creature?

And when posters comment on something like PETA protesting in front of Santa Anita, are those comments political?

Just wondering...how best to behave.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:26 AM   #22
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
You shouldn't apologize for anything. Nothing has happened here that should offend anyone's tender sensibilities.

Going forward, how can the role of HISA be discussed in a vacuum, when it's a purely political creature?

And when posters comment on something like PETA protesting in front of Santa Anita, are those comments political?

Just wondering...how best to behave.
Nothing like being wrong and refusing to admit it. Then again, that's your politics.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2022, 08:23 AM   #23
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

There hasn't been any guidance or protocols regarding discussing HISA, so maybe it's all right to let Ohio HBPA president Dave Basler speak for me. This Paulick Report piece is spot-on in every detail, and completely non-political, except maybe when he questions the legality of a private entity being handed regulatory powers.

https://paulickreport.com/news/ray-s...-the-industry/https://paulickreport.com/news/ray-s...-the-industry/

I like the part where he questions Tom Rooney's assertion that elevating stakeholders over shareholders is going to be good for the game. And that kind of gets back to the original post here about watchdog groups whose aims may not be in alignment with many racing fans on this board.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:24 PM   #24
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
Well, the right of individual states to conduct their regulatory oversight of racing as they see fit could be one, but you can't ask that question here, this is the Racing Room!
Whether or not the state has a right to conduct regulatory oversight of racing (which is a strange way of stating what is a dubious proposition to begin with), there's no right of any state to accept bets from another state's bettors or to transmit their signal to another state free of congressional regulation. Once you start crossing state lines, even under the 1787 interpretation of the Constitution, the federal government can preempt state law.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2022, 08:57 PM   #25
Al Gobbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Whether or not the state has a right to conduct regulatory oversight of racing (which is a strange way of stating what is a dubious proposition to begin with), there's no right of any state to accept bets from another state's bettors or to transmit their signal to another state free of congressional regulation. Once you start crossing state lines, even under the 1787 interpretation of the Constitution, the federal government can preempt state law.
I guess some people forgot the The Interstate Horse Racing Act of 1978 was passed by the federal government which paved the way for off-track betting nationally
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2022, 10:35 AM   #26
Suff
Beat up 💪

HISA at Saratoga. Farriers joy.

This morning;

Shoe Rule Revised as of 7/29 HISA shoe rule has been revised for Dirt sufaces on hind legs full outer rims and toe grabs up to 4mm in height will be allowed.

All other provisions of rule 2276 will begin 8/26