Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 08-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #16
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
I understand normalization. I was trying to pull in the whole BRIS MCP file for storage and reference only. Maybe this is not a good idea. Yes, once in their needs to be a trainer table, a jockey table, and other PP info tables to join back to make today's race. How's performance on the PC using many joins?
I do not think it is a good idea to store the MCP for storage. In my case, I simply delete it after it is inserted in the data base.

I do not have a normalized db as I store track code, date in both the description and starters table and I also do not have a separate table for connections.

Assuming you will create the necessary indexes your performance will be acceptable as your queries will join two tables in most of the cases.

To avoid joins and simplify the select statements, I also update the speed and pace figures in the level of the starter so I do not need to involve and other table in my queries.

As far as performance is going, using memoization will probably be a helpful technique when it comes to globally applied data that do not change during the course of the day...

Last edited by DeltaLover; 08-04-2016 at 10:16 AM.
DeltaLover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #17
hracingplyr

Windows 10 Edge.

wonder if someone could point me in the right direction with windows 10 Edge. When i download free PP's from the site Whobet and go to open the PP's i get a message that says,

Couldn't open PDF. Something's keeping this PDF from opening.

The PP's open fine in Google so it is not a big deal. Was just curious as to why it does not work in Edge?

Bob
hracingplyr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #18
Capper Al

Once I get going with MySQL, it will be normalized. I think I'll just store the MCP files in a folder. The admin stuff isn't working at the moment. At least not the way that I'd like to. Currently, all I have done is sign in on the prompt as root and created a database. I'm after switching to another user to build the tables, but can't seem to do that.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #19
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hracingplyr
wonder if someone could point me in the right direction with windows 10 Edge. When i download free PP's from the site Whobet and go to open the PP's i get a message that says,

Couldn't open PDF. Something's keeping this PDF from opening.

The PP's open fine in Google so it is not a big deal. Was just curious as to why it does not work in Edge?

Bob
You need Adobe Acrobat PDF to open in Edge. I had it before upgrade and I've had no problems opening PDF files. Just go to the Adobe Acrobat website it was a free download.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...q=adobe%20acro.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #20
Capper Al

Okay, here's the bottom line. The administrative setup is not so intuitive. So, being old school open system's kind of a guy, I signed up for a MySQL class on Lyndia.com. I have taken tutorials from the instructor before. This should work.

As far as the design, I'm thinking of temporary pulling in the BRIS MCP in two pieces and dumping what fields that I don't want to use. Saving the remainder in a smaller set, but again in two pieces if necessary. Why? Because the whole point is to be able to test an idea later for hit rate and payout. Yes, besides this, I will still create a normalized database. Just don't want to have to run a bunch of joins when doing a massive query.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #21
hracingplyr

i

already have adobe on my computer.
hracingplyr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #22
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hracingplyr
already have adobe on my computer.

I found that's another hassle of upgrading to windows 10---microsoft wants to decide things for you. Instead of clicking on the PDF.....RIGHT CLICK ON IT.....
that will give you a little menu asking which program YOU want to open use to open the PDF.

Hope that helps, Bob.

-NCG
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply