Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-14-2021, 06:50 PM   #16
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA.race.fan View Post
Is there anywhere to park an RV overnight? Can you park an RV in someone’s yard?
You’d have to ask the owners but I sort of doubt it. I think the closest “legal” place would be Lee’s on 9P out by the lake 3 miles east of the track out Union Ave. there is also a huge parking lot at the harness track and I could swear I’ve seen RVs parked out there but have never tried it myself.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2021, 07:09 PM   #17
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab View Post
My two cents:
Gold star for this one—and TLG a tough act to follow. Thanks!

Could be the most fruitful thread I've ever started. I really appreciate all the responses.

I did indeed spring for a reserved clubhouse seat. It cost me, but didn't want to skimp on a long day trip to a big event, and one seat was a reasonable splurge. But I was still nervous about parking and network connectivity.

Cellular and WiFi outlook is better than I expected, but I'll get a terminal voucher card as a backup on site. I don't see a way to link a NYRA Bets account to the terminals. I was kind of hoping NYRA Bets had some preferential treatment of its app over the WiFi, but that wasn't my experience at Belmont Stakes 2018.

I'll try to get my core bets for the day in early, and just make tweaks between races. So I can take the place in. I can hustle the tote screen at home.

Sounds like parking won't be a nightmare, which is also a relief. I'll either find something near the Nelson Ave. Gate or downtown depending on when I arrive, and walk around town if I get settled early enough.

A stroll through Congress Park sounds appealing. A trip to the Hall of Fame probably too sharp. Reason to return—and convince the family to come with.

Definitely looking forward to the chowder, koozied beer "value" by the paddock, and maybe a breakfast sandwich to kick things off. Man, I can't wait!

Thanks again.
Aerocraft67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2021, 09:45 PM   #18
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Tom? What’s the name of that breakfast place we went to? The one where the horses go by on the way for workouts?

Sitting out there eating breakfast I thought was an awesome experience.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2021, 10:25 AM   #19
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Tom? What’s the name of that breakfast place we went to? The one where the horses go by on the way for workouts?

Sitting out there eating breakfast I thought was an awesome experience.
Oh yeah, GREAT place to start the day. Good food, sitting out on the deck, handicapping races, watching LOTS of horses walking down the street to the track. The place is right across the street from the gate at the 7 furlong shut. If they ran 1 mile races, they would start in the kitchen!

Horeshoe Inn, Nelson Avenue. What a place.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg horseshoe.JPG (101.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg horseshoe2.JPG (122.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg horseshoe3.JPG (84.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg hrseshoe4.JPG (134.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #20
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Great memory. Thank you Tommy!
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2021, 02:10 PM   #21
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

One can always park on Lake avenue for free(if Union ave is full). It may be a mile or so walk to the track.

You can always hang out at Congress park,for free, if it's not raining. It's on Broadway and there are plenty of coffee shops/restaurants around there. Although my favorite one has closed for good, from what I hear.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2021, 10:21 PM   #22
kingfin66
Bombardier

I have only been to Saratoga for one day of racing, two years ago when the heat caused cancellations. Fortunately, I was able to go on a Friday. The following Monday, I went back to Saratoga to check out the town. In my opinion, it would be a shame for anybody who visits Saratoga to miss the National Racing Hall of Fame and Museum. You can see the entire museum in a reasonable amount of time. After that, walk around the pristine town and enjoy a nice lunch or dinner at one of the many great dining establishments. Upstate New York is incredibly beautiful, and this from someone who lives in Washington which is known for its beauty.

Have a great trip!
Old 07-16-2021, 10:50 PM   #23
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Oh yeah, GREAT place to start the day. Good food, sitting out on the deck, handicapping races, watching LOTS of horses walking down the street to the track. The place is right across the street from the gate at the 7 furlong shut. If they ran 1 mile races, they would start in the kitchen!

Horeshoe Inn, Nelson Avenue. What a place.
Does that place get super crowded for breakfast for a weekday card? Any particular time you would suggest? I always stop along the Thruway for breakfast and would like to do something completely different this time around.

Last edited by Zman179; 07-16-2021 at 10:51 PM.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2021, 05:43 AM   #24
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
Does that place get super crowded for breakfast for a weekday card? Any particular time you would suggest? I always stop along the Thruway for breakfast and would like to do something completely different this time around.
Been awhile since I've visited the 'Shoe but you shouldn't have a problem. The establishment's main purpose is apre-racing. There is a huge tent outside for drinking, bands, dancing, etc. For breakfast I think they put some tables out there. There is a stockade fence around the property though so for a view you need to be on the little deck off the building, or walk to the one of the restaurant entrances. If you can see the pic, to the right is the entrance to the backstretch adjacent to the 7F chute where starting gate is.

If you have any friends in the biz, try to get access into there and get an egg sandwich. Or, as Suff famously and accurately said "racetracks are porous places..." You could probably work your way to the backstretch if you felt like trying.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0682...7i16384!8i8192

Last edited by alhattab; 07-17-2021 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:47 AM   #25
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
Not bad. We got a porch table no problem. I think we were there around 9am. Ralph might remeberr better. My attention was las focused on the eggs, home fries, sausage, and the warm loaf of toast.

That tent you see in the empty lot is a bar, so night time there might be worth checking out, too.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #26
eqitec

Oklahoma

Are spectators allowed again to watch the works at the training track?. Thanks.
eqitec is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #27
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqitec View Post
Are spectators allowed again to watch the works at the training track?. Thanks.
Check the website but I believe the "Whitney Viewing Stand" is open every racing day. That is probably the best experience of them all- I like to hang by the gap on the Clubhouse turn. There is a kitchen back there somewhere- maybe just across the road from the viewing stand? The area known as "Horse Haven" where the original meets took place is also in that general direction.

I've taken the liberty to wander around back there- past the Clubhouse turn gap is like a murderers' row of trainers. I've walked as far as the backstretch where the houses are (that is 5th Ave on the Oklahoma backside)
Old 07-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #28
alhattab

Quote:
Not bad. We got a porch table no problem. I think we were there around 9am. Ralph might remeberr better. My attention was las focused on the eggs, home fries, sausage, and the warm loaf of toast.

That tent you see in the empty lot is a bar, so night time there might be worth checking out, too.
Absolutely Tom. If you like that sort of thing, a post racing stop at the Horseshoe is a must. It is part of the Saratoga experience. Most days plenty of room but can be a bit much if they have one of the more popular bands playing.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #29
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab View Post
Been awhile since I've visited the 'Shoe but you shouldn't have a problem. The establishment's main purpose is apre-racing. There is a huge tent outside for drinking, bands, dancing, etc. For breakfast I think they put some tables out there. There is a stockade fence around the property though so for a view you need to be on the little deck off the building, or walk to the one of the restaurant entrances. If you can see the pic, to the right is the entrance to the backstretch adjacent to the 7F chute where starting gate is.

If you have any friends in the biz, try to get access into there and get an egg sandwich. Or, as Suff famously and accurately said "racetracks are porous places..." You could probably work your way to the backstretch if you felt like trying.
Thank you for all the info! Unfortunately I don’t know anyone in the business and with the place being state property and me being a state employee, I’d hate to think of any ramifications afterwards if I got found out. Lol
Old 07-17-2021, 01:07 PM   #30
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:

Appreciate it, Tom. Thank you! That’s the time I’ll aim for then will have plenty of time for the races!