Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #1
dilanesp

i am sick of Tacitus

How much money has that horse burned?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Luckily, we have this thing called betting where you can cash in against him.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #3
RunForTheRoses

There was no way I'd play so soon after the ship to the Mideast.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Yup, I said in the other thread. Don’t bet him til he wins one. Then he’s the chalk vs a horse that rarely loses . Go figure .
Yay Tacitus..... I’m not sick of you. Just what I thought .
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2020, 09:48 PM   #5
clicknow

I've never wagered Tacitus to win anything. But he shows up, he races, he runs. That's a lot more than you can say about so many other horses, who are whisked away to the breeding shed before they've run 6 career races. He's often good for ITM on an exotics ticket but not today.
So, you're sick of him entering races and running for our entertainment, I guess I don't get it.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-02-2020 at 09:52 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2020, 10:23 PM   #6
burnsy
self medicated

I agree Clicknow but betting him is a whole different matter. I’m 2 Mint Julep in now and well whatever. Tacitus seems like I’ve been making money off of him since Dust Commander was a yearling
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2020, 10:40 PM   #7
NTamm1215

Objective race analysis is seemingly gone nowadays. If it wasn’t, it would be clear Tacitus actually ran relatively well today. The pace was exceptionally soft in the OP Handicap. It was over a half second slower to the half than the 2nd div of the Ark Derby and nearly a second slower to the half than the 1st division. The 1-2 finishers largely dominated the race on the front end.

Tacitus made, albeit an unthreatening one, the only real off the pace move in the race. He also did this off a 90+ day layoff which included a pit stop in Dubai after racing in Saudi.

Tacitus is a good, but unlucky horse. He also finds himself at the mercy of the race flow too frequently. There’s a major race out there with his name on it in my opinion.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2020, 11:20 PM   #8
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I know, dont get it, love horses who take a ton of money and never win. Isnt that the ideal for a bettor?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2020, 11:24 PM   #9
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post

Tacitus is a good, but unlucky horse. He also finds himself at the mercy of the race flow too frequently. There’s a major race out there with his name on it in my opinion.
I am sure there is, his style is exactly what you want though in terms of horses that are a complete tease.

I would argue he is kind of run of the mill for a grade 1 horse, as you said there is a race that he will probably win with the right trip and setup, but I would argue it wont validate him much more than just the average good horse.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 12:30 AM   #10
classhandicapper

He's had a few races that were better than they looked, but as a result he also developed a reputation that exceeds his actual ability at this stage.

When he's off the pace he has an excuse.

When he's on the pace he has an excuse.

When he's inside he has an excuse.

When he's outside he has an excuse.

When he has no excuse somehow he still has an excuse (and there were a couple of those too).

I didn't cash on the race, but a chance to bet against him was the reason I was in the race. I primarily used Mr Freeze and saved a little with Tax, but imo both the winner and 2nd horse were also both usable.

He'll probably eventually get a perfect trip against a weak group, but he's not going to beat legitimate Grade 1 older horses without getting quite a bit better. He's simply not that good right now despite the rep.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-03-2020 at 12:44 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 12:57 AM   #11
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Objective race analysis is seemingly gone nowadays. If it wasn’t, it would be clear Tacitus actually ran relatively well today. The pace was exceptionally soft in the OP Handicap. It was over a half second slower to the half than the 2nd div of the Ark Derby and nearly a second slower to the half than the 1st division. The 1-2 finishers largely dominated the race on the front end.

Tacitus made, albeit an unthreatening one, the only real off the pace move in the race. He also did this off a 90+ day layoff which included a pit stop in Dubai after racing in Saudi.

Tacitus always has an excuse.

And at some point, horses that always have an excuse need to be treated as chronic losers and dropped in class.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 01:36 AM   #12
Spalding No!

VIRTUAL SUCKER BET STAKES – 9 FURLONGS DIRT

1) BROTHER DEREK
2) CHAMPS ELYSEES (GB)
3) CHESTER HOUSE
4) DOLLAR BILL
5) GIACOMO
6) GOLDEN MISSILE
7) IRISH WAR CRY
8) KEEN ICE
9) KISSIN KRIS
10) MR. COMMONS
11) PAVEL
12) PUERTO MADERO (CHI)
13) SETSUKO
14) TACITUS
AE
15) POLITICAL FORCE
16) MUBTAAHIJ (IRE)
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 02:56 AM   #13
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
I often think about the qualities that make certain horses "sucker bets".

Thy are typically horses that got over hyped in the media, overhyped by big name handicappers, or that won a prestigious race that happened to be very weak, but they also seem to lack something as racehorses.

To me it seems like an inability to overcome any real pressure or adversity and still finish well enough at the end to win at their current class level.

To win, you usually have to make a serious move into contention and sustain the run or engage and battle early. If you repeatedly come up empty late when you do that, it usually means you need a drop in class where the demands to get into contention are likely to be lower and you'll have a little more in the tank for the last 1/16th or 1/8th. Most of these horses run a lot of good races. They just can't get the job done without a drop because they lack the reserve racing energy do what it takes to win.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-03-2020 at 03:02 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 08:22 AM   #14
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post

1) BROTHER DEREK
2) CHAMPS ELYSEES (GB)
3) CHESTER HOUSE
4) DOLLAR BILL
5) GIACOMO
6) GOLDEN MISSILE
7) IRISH WAR CRY
8) KEEN ICE
9) KISSIN KRIS
10) MR. COMMONS
11) PAVEL
12) PUERTO MADERO (CHI)
13) SETSUKO
14) TACITUS
AE
15) POLITICAL FORCE
16) MUBTAAHIJ (IRE)
That's a pretty good field full of burnt cash. I'm glad you got Dollar Bill in there. It was in his era that I joined the internet community and could follow racing more closely than in the prior few years, and was immediately stunned at the level of fandom bestowed upon him. Hence, he has been my benchmark for this kind of "honor" ever since.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 08:48 AM   #15
HHE10
BANNED

The only time I ever actually bet Tacitus was the derby. Was only a win bet but knew he wouldn't win the race because either Improbable or Maximum Security was going to win.

I should have done a tri since I had Tacitus and my mom had Code of Honour. Would have been a nice $11,475.30 for a $1 ($5,737.65 for 0.50 cents)
HHE10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: