Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #61
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
Really. Take a stroll through Saint Jude's Hospital.
Meaning what exactly?

I don't think his statement excludes the possibility of charity. In fact, financial peace of mind provides a great foundation for charitable giving, both monetary and time.

If on the other hand your comment was directed toward the fact that money ultimately can't buy you good health, well duh ...
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2016, 08:54 AM   #62
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner369
But money is also a source of many pleasures in life..........the main one is that it gives you peace of mind.
Yes, indeed! And when one loves the pleasures of life more than he loves his Creator, then the money that bought those fleeting, temporal pleasures becomes a snare to his soul. Jesus taught that life is more than our food, our clothes and our lodging. Well...if life is more than these necessities, then how much more is life than satisfying our lusts with the pleasures of this world?

As far as "peace of mind" goes, I know more than a few people whose money has brought them nothing but misery! And if not misery in this world, then most assuredly in the next. See the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus (Mat 16:19-31) and especially the Parable of the Rich Businessman (Lk 12:16-35).

True peace of mind and true pleasure come from having a personal, loving, trusting relationship with God.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #63
boxcar

Quote:
Interesting,there is esoteric meaning below the surface of most Scripture,but this does not necessarily negate the more obvious interpretation, that the mind set of the wealthy and of those that crave wealth is not a mind set that is normally compatible with deep sincere spirituality.
But even that is not at the heart of the story of the rich young man's encounter with Jesus, for Dave has missed the mark again. Also, you're off the mark as well, for there were plenty of saints who God blessed with considerable wealth.
There are wealthy people who do not "crave" money or live for money.

Perhaps later if I have some time, I think I can reveal the core lesson behind the rich ruler's encounter with Jesus. If so....I'll do it on the religious thread. The narrative is actually an illustration of what the Psalmist meant when he said "All men are liars." (Ps 116:11).
Old 05-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #64
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______
Why do I feel like this thread is about to get swallowed by the much larger one I am careful to NEVER post in?
You were right. Too bad you couldn't get a bet down.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #65
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 'StatMan'
You were right. Too bad you couldn't get a bet down.
unlike other product hawked, money is seldom out of fashion, seldom out of use...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #66
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
Meaning what exactly?

I don't think his statement excludes the possibility of charity. In fact, financial peace of mind provides a great foundation for charitable giving, both monetary and time.

If on the other hand your comment was directed toward the fact that money ultimately can't buy you good health, well duh ...

Interesting,you asked with respect to my post..."Meaning what exactly?" and then you proceed to erect a straw-man arguing against a position never advocated or even mentioned in my post.How appropriate that you concluded with....."well duh"
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #67
Sinner369

Peace of mind is a...............???

"Peace of mind" is an individual "thing"..........just like we all have individual different taste buds in regards to food, women (men), fashion style, cars, etc.

Myself, I find peace of mind by having a million dollars in my bank account (philosophy speaking, in reality I do not have a million dollars).
Old 05-20-2016, 08:23 PM   #68
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
Disney's grand niece said he really hated jews. Man if I was that rich I wouldn't hate anyone.
Just wanted to set the record straight.....http://www.answers.com/Q/Did_Walt_Disney_hate_Jews
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #69
tucker6

Quote:
Interesting,you asked with respect to my post..."Meaning what exactly?" and then you proceed to erect a straw-man arguing against a position never advocated or even mentioned in my post.How appropriate that you concluded with....."well duh"
So it is true. You had no point as usual.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #70
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming
Just wanted to set the record straight.....http://www.answers.com/Q/Did_Walt_Disney_hate_Jews
I know you didn't go answers.com. lol. That is so funny.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2016, 09:10 PM   #71
incoming

Quote:
I know you didn't go answers.com. lol. That is so funny.
I googled grandniece....nothing popup about Disney.

Last edited by incoming; 05-20-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:29 AM   #72
Overlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRanger
No. Money isn't everything.

Let's see ... there's

Faster horses
Younger women

Then Money. More money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
You left out "older whiskey."
[YT=""]vnvMcX95G20[/YT]

Last edited by Overlay; 05-21-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2016, 12:33 AM   #73
Overlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44
First comes the money ,THEN comes the younger women.Because to get the babes, you gotta have the bucks.
[YT=""]XJ7HZATMKBY[/YT]
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2016, 06:44 AM   #74
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming
I googled grandniece....nothing popup about Disney.
She was agreeing with a speech. Meryl Streep made calling Disney a sexist, racist anti semite. The grand niece did acknowledge him as a great film maker.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #75
incoming

Quote:
She was agreeing with a speech. Meryl Streep made calling Disney a sexist, racist anti semite. The grand niece did acknowledge him as a great film maker.
This thread is about money, its virtues and evils. I chose two people that had no or very little formal training and built empires, Steve Jobs and Walt Disney, to make my point. If I ruffled your PC feathers.....GOOD.