Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-19-2016, 07:54 AM   #46
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
Sorry but further contextualization in no way alters the meaning of Jesus's admonition.The young man was looking directly into the face of Jesus Christ and when faced with the choice of Jesus or his wealth he chose wealth.He is emblematic of mankind as your feeble rationalization confirms.

“If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

"No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."
Money was the lord of the young man's life instead of Jesus. As Jesus also taught, a person cannot love money and love God, for one cannot serve two masters. The moral of the story is that the young rich man loved his money more than God and, therefore, didn't want to sell his possessions to follow Jesus. So...it's not wealth that is evil, but the love of it that is.

Moreover, common sense should tell you that money can often be used for good.

As someone here already said (and wisely so), money should be used as a means toward an end, and not an end in itself.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #47
Robert Fischer
clean money

you've got to meet your 'basic needs' to be happy

if you meet your basic needs and have a positive, healthy, sustainable lifestyle, = you can be happy as hell with a relatively small amount of money.

by the same token, you can be filthy rich, and if you aren't meeting your basic needs, and/or if your lifestyle is kicking your own ass on a daily basis, = life will be miserable.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #48
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
Sorry but further contextualization in no way alters the meaning of Jesus's admonition.The young man was looking directly into the face of Jesus Christ and when faced with the choice of Jesus or his wealth he chose wealth.He is emblematic of mankind as your feeble rationalization confirms.

“If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

"No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."
The brand of Christianity that I was taught does not lend itself to preachy-ness or proselytizing, so this will be a single post - has led me to a somewhat different understanding of these verses. (Of course, you will accept or discard based upon your own opinion.)

IMHO, this was not actually about money at all. Rather it is about answering the question, "Who do we rely upon?"

As we are transformed, Jesus expects us to rely more and more upon him. Unlike most of us, he did not struggle to succeed, often being our own worst enemy. The point of the verses was that this mean was a self-made man.

How does such a man bow down and say, "I need you to be in charge of my life?"

Okay, that is all.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #49
MPRanger

No. Money isn't everything.

Let's see ... there's

Faster horses
Younger women

Then Money. More money.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #50
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
you've got to meet your 'basic needs' to be happy

if you meet your basic needs and have a positive, healthy, sustainable lifestyle, = you can be happy as hell with a relatively small amount of money.

by the same token, you can be filthy rich, and if you aren't meeting your basic needs, and/or if your lifestyle is kicking your own ass on a daily basis, = life will be miserable.
but with the very rich person who is miserable, that's not money's fault, right?

money gets a bad rap for people like this who might be miserable anyway who just HAPPEN to have money.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #51
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRanger

Let's see ... there's

Faster horses
Younger women

Then Money. More money.
Not just younger women but hot younger women.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #52
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:

Let's see ... there's

Faster horses
Younger women

Then Money. More money.
First comes the money ,THEN comes the younger women.Because to get the babes, you gotta have the bucks.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #53
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44
First comes the money ,THEN comes the younger women.Because to get the babes, you gotta have the bucks.
When you're rich wonen are like cars. You upgrade and get a newer model. Trump's first wife is 67, his 2nd wife is 52, his current wife is 46. His next wife is between 25 and 30 right now. That's called winning.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #54
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Money, it's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good bullshit
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 11:03 PM   #55
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
When you're rich wonen are like cars. You upgrade and get a newer model. Trump's first wife is 67, his 2nd wife is 52, his current wife is 46. His next wife is between 25 and 30 right now. That's called winning.
It might also be called EGO, not that ego is bad, personally I think egoistic, not egotistic, is really the default case for humans, but it gets mixed up with egotistic and vanity in most folks heads...I personally don't know what I would do with a much younger woman apart from the obvious 5 min thrill....but your take on women being preoccupied with money doesn't do women well...your remarks say more about the type of women you prefer probably more than about women in general...although I must admit most people in general are impressed and preoccupied with money...it buys a lot of stuff even human emotion...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 05-19-2016 at 11:07 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #56
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
It might also be called EGO, not that ego is bad, personally I think egoistic, not egotistic, is really the default case for humans, but it gets mixed up with egotistic and vanity in most folks heads...I personally don't know what I would do with a much younger woman apart from the obvious 5 min thrill....but your take on women being preoccupied with money doesn't do women well...your remarks say more about the type of women you prefer probably more than about women in general...although I must admit most people in general are impressed and preoccupied with money...it buys a lot of stuff even human emotion...
You are correct. I definitely prefer younger and hotter but unfortunately for me i have about.00001% of Trump's money. So I can't pull a Trump or Stalone or MJ or insert whatever rich famous guy you choose.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:21 AM   #57
Sinner369

But it is also................???

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
Not so! Wealth in and of itself is neither good or bad, but becomes either when we choose what to do with it. Therefore, as the Good Book says, "The love of money is the root of many evils."
But money is also a source of many pleasures in life..........the main one is that it gives you peace of mind.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:13 AM   #58
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
The brand of Christianity that I was taught does not lend itself to preachy-ness or proselytizing, so this will be a single post - has led me to a somewhat different understanding of these verses. (Of course, you will accept or discard based upon your own opinion.)

IMHO, this was not actually about money at all. Rather it is about answering the question, "Who do we rely upon?"

As we are transformed, Jesus expects us to rely more and more upon him. Unlike most of us, he did not struggle to succeed, often being our own worst enemy. The point of the verses was that this mean was a self-made man.

How does such a man bow down and say, "I need you to be in charge of my life?"

Okay, that is all.

Dave
Interesting,there is esoteric meaning below the surface of most Scripture,but this does not necessarily negate the more obvious interpretation, that the mind set of the wealthy and of those that crave wealth is not a mind set that is normally compatible with deep sincere spirituality.

Last edited by Hank; 05-20-2016 at 01:14 AM.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2016, 01:17 AM   #59
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner369
But money is also a source of many pleasures in life..........the main one is that it gives you peace of mind.
Really. Take a stroll through Saint Jude's Hospital.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2016, 02:28 AM   #60
traynor

Quote:

Let's see ... there's

Faster horses
Younger women

Then Money. More money.

You left out "older whiskey."
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply