Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-13-2020, 07:50 PM   #16
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I hate God...but I love freedom, free speech, free markets and debate. Am I forgiven?
How does one hate something that one believes does not exist?
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2020, 07:53 PM   #17
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
It takes a little practice...but it can be done.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2020, 07:58 PM   #18
fast4522

Quote:
I hate God...but I love freedom, free speech, free markets and debate. Am I forgiven?
From the moment that you were born man has forced you to compete for everything, everyone wants to blame someone. Your so bright that you blame God.
fast4522 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2020, 07:58 PM   #19
MargieRose

Quote:
It takes a little practice...but it can be done.
Since you have figured it out, please explain.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #20
steveb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
Man, do you have a screw loose

just the one?
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2020, 09:33 PM   #21
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
You should know that the feeling is mutual. Not a a great place to be when standing before the righteous judge of the earth.
Gosh, I thought God loved everybody. Apparently, you are privy to some pretty specific information and have been told, or more likely simply judged, that thaskalos is an exception?
Old 11-13-2020, 09:35 PM   #22
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
There is a difference between being a liberal and being a leftist.

True liberals would be appalled by what passes for liberalism now. Many are totalitarians. Even when I agree with their cause, the ends do not justify the means. In many cases these are evil people masquerading as doing good. They hate freedom, hate free speech, hate free markets, hate debate, and above all hate God.
I don't believe in God, but I believe in free speech, free markets, and debate. Where does land me?
Old 11-13-2020, 09:55 PM   #23
fast4522

Sucker #2
fast4522 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2020, 03:04 AM   #24
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
Hypocrite...
Old 11-14-2020, 03:07 AM   #25
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
Gosh, I thought God loved everybody. Apparently, you are privy to some pretty specific information and have been told, or more likely simply judged, that thaskalos is an exception?
He does so much so that he gave his only Son so mankind could be saved... but with all thing conditions must me met. But you know this.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:14 AM   #26
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
Just goes to show you how uninformed opinions can so easily lead to wrong conclusions. If you were so inclined you could find some "pretty specific information" about the nature of God's love in a book called the Bible.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:28 AM   #27
classhandicapper

Quote:
You are very smart and seem like a really good guy. We disagree on some things, but so be it. We all do.

Obviously, there are a wide range of views on all issues on both sides, but one of the dominant positions of the "left" now (and notice I did not say true liberals) is one where you try to shame, silence, and destroy your political enemies, their businesses and their lives. Part of that is censoring and barring them. Freedom, free speech, and free business are scorned by them.

They accuse everyone that disagrees with them of being racist or hateful no matter what their true feelings and no matter how logical and reasonable their positions. True racism and hate are terrible, but not everyone that disagrees is a racist or hate monger etc.. Quite frankly, I think these are terrible people. They are totalitarians that would fit well with the communists in China.

Also, there is a huge difference between being an atheist or agnostic and living your life as you see fit vs. being actively anti God and trying to discredit religion and promote values that clearly get worse results for society.

I've described myself as "agnostic with a rooting interest in the existence of God". I'm not religious, but I see the good in a lot of it. I wish I had "more faith" because I feel better during periods when I do. I also see the bad that comes when people have so much confidence in what they believe they turn into totalitarians like the left has on many political issues.

Whatever happened to "live and let live" and "tolerance"?

There are whack jobs on the left and right, but the whack jobs on the right are mostly just a fringe that gets a TON of publicity from the "leftist media" without actually doing much.

The whack jobs on the left are among mainstream these days that are burning down cities, rioting, looting etc.. and have either been given a free pass for it or it was ignored and the focus changed to the well intentioned that are protesting peacefully about legitimate things.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-14-2020 at 09:40 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #28
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
You are very smart and seem like a really good guy. We disagree on some things, but so be it. We all do.

Obviously, there are a wide range of views on all issues on both sides, but one of the dominant positions of the "left" now (and notice I did not say true liberals) is one where you try to shame, silence, and destroy your political enemies, their businesses and their lives. Part of that is censoring and barring them. Freedom, free speech, and free business are scorned by them.

They accuse everyone that disagrees with them of being racist or hateful no matter what their true feelings and no matter how logical and reasonable their positions. True racism and hate are terrible, but not everyone that disagrees is a racist or hate monger etc.. Quite frankly, I think these are terrible people. They are totalitarians that would fit well with the communists in China.

Also, there is a huge difference between being an atheist or agnostic and living your life as you see fit vs. being actively anti God and trying to discredit religion and promote values that clearly get worse results for society.

I've described myself as "agnostic with a rooting interest in the existence of God". I'm not religious, but I see the good in a lot of it. I wish I had "more faith" because I feel better during periods when I do. I also see the bad that comes when people have so much confidence in what they believe they turn into totalitarians like the left has on many political issues.

Whatever happened to "live and let live" and "tolerance"?

There are whack jobs on the left and right, but the whack jobs on the right are mostly just a fringe that gets a TON of publicity from the "leftist media" without actually doing much.

The whack jobs on the left are among mainstream democrats these days that are burning down cities, rioting, looting etc.. and have either been given a free pass for it or it was ignored and the focus changed to the well intentioned that are protesting peacefully about legitimate things.
Yet, Thask loves freedom, so he said. But I suppose that dichotomy could be explained by saying that he enjoys the government having all the freedom it needs to dictate to the clueless masses.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #29
46zilzal
velocitician

The idea of God was a human creation to find answers in uniformed simple people who had no formal understanding of the ways of the world. It was, and remains, a handy explanation for things.

The garbage structure that grew up around that simple belief (called formal religions) is what screws up that simple idea with rules of contact that have LITTLE if anything to do with the basic belief.

Religions are simple philosophies of life. MOST have good ideas at the heart of them, IF ONLY their practitioners followed what the philosophy said.

I recall that Einstein thought that Buddhism was the best philosophy of life in the modern world

quote: “Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and spiritual; and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity.

“If there is any religion that would cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism. . (Albert Einstein)
Old 11-14-2020, 10:04 AM   #30
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I hate God.
So?
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply