Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 09-02-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
Jess Hawsen Arown

Freehold Raceway proves itself a joke -- again

So, in today's 6th race at Freehold, Torrid Bromac N was a significantly overbet 1-2 based on his previous form -- or so it seemed. However, he was much the best and toyed with his competition for an easy win -- or it seemed.

After the race, the inquiry light goes on for "possible" pylon violations. But what is "possible?" He either did or did not. After a very long inquiry, he remains up. Ok, so I guess he did not. So they show the replay and the horse went inside multiple pylons (I counted 4, others counted more) on a couple of turns.

So if you're not going to dq a horse for something he did, why put up an inquiry? I did not see him go inside any pylons on the last turn, but going inside a pylon on a turn on a half mile track saves significant ground.

Of course cynical players in attendance said the judges needed to check their tickets before making a decision.

But the bottom line is that the inquiry was for pylon infractions -- which there were, multiple times -- and the horse was not dqd.

Yet another black eye for Freehold Raceway.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2017, 08:17 PM   #2
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Hawsen Arown View Post
So, in today's 6th race at Freehold, Torrid Bromac N was a significantly overbet 1-2 based on his previous form -- or so it seemed. However, he was much the best and toyed with his competition for an easy win -- or it seemed.

After the race, the inquiry light goes on for "possible" pylon violations. But what is "possible?" He either did or did not. After a very long inquiry, he remains up. Ok, so I guess he did not. So they show the replay and the horse went inside multiple pylons (I counted 4, others counted more) on a couple of turns.

So if you're not going to dq a horse for something he did, why put up an inquiry? I did not see him go inside any pylons on the last turn, but going inside a pylon on a turn on a half mile track saves significant ground.

Of course cynical players in attendance said the judges needed to check their tickets before making a decision.

But the bottom line is that the inquiry was for pylon infractions -- which there were, multiple times -- and the horse was not dqd.

Yet another black eye for Freehold Raceway.
Jess,

My story is 2001/2002. I had returned from Afghanistan, stationed at Earle Weapons Station, an I would head to Freehold every so often. I much preferred the BigM.

I took a shot in the 1st on a horse I figured had a big shot and singled in the double to 3 horses in the 2nd. The horse won and paid $60.00 and a horse I used in the 2nd also won and paid $9.00. When I bet the double it was paying $600.00 and when I collected I received $175.00 lol.

I would have made more money parlaying the 2 horses.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
Jess,

My story is 2001/2002. I had returned from Afghanistan, stationed at Earle Weapons Station, an I would head to Freehold every so often. I much preferred the BigM.

I took a shot in the 1st on a horse I figured had a big shot and singled in the double to 3 horses in the 2nd. The horse won and paid $60.00 and a horse I used in the 2nd also won and paid $9.00. When I bet the double it was paying $600.00 and when I collected I received $175.00 lol.

I would have made more money parlaying the 2 horses.
I'm more impressed with your being stationed in Afghanistan. That's a lot tougher than suffering through the slings and arrows Freehold Raceway tosses at us every race day.

Since there hasn't been a draft in over 40 years -- thanks, man!
Old 09-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
DSB

I don't usually even look at the harness section of this site. There is rarely anything of interest to me. I couldn't let this go without comment.

Everyone seems to love trashing Freehold. The 6th yesterday is a good example. Does anyone who criticizes the judges for their actions - or lack thereof - know the reasoning behind it?

I was there and here's what happened. Jim Marshall III for some reason decided to leave the gate with a 56-1 shot, Ralbar. The 1-2 favorite, Torrid Bromac, beat him to the front and apparently his driver, Joey Bongiorno, made the decision not to let him go to the top and parked him. Marshall crowded the favorite for more than a half mile, forcing him inside a couple of pylons before quitting badly and finishing last.

The judges obviously thought that the violations were not the fault of the favorite. Nowadays, the judges are allowed to decide whether or not the infraction altered the outcome of the race when rendering a decision.

Nothing that happened in that race altered the outcome of the race, for sure. Torrid Bromac most likely would have won easier had he not had to contend with the actions of Marshall and Ralbar.

Oh, and going inside a pylon with a wheel doesn't necessarily "save significant ground."

That would be leaving the course, aka IP, which is an automatic DQ if the horse does gain an advantage.
DSB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
Stick

The problem with your argument is that Bongiorno was also inside pylons up the backstretch AFTER Marshall had fallen out of the race. Also, after the half when Bongiorno completely cut the turn I did not see any evidence of Marshall forcing him in. Just having a guy parked out next to you does not mean you can go inside multiple pylons because you feel crowded. This horse clearly did not run a mile. As far as the outcome of the race this is just subjectivity on your part.
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Is this as bad as the suspended trainer of the Canadian Pacing Derby being interviewed on track after his horse won while in the name of a beard trainer last night?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
Stick

CJ
When the average guy goes to the track he is not aware of what you mentioned. The average guy does however see the horse inside multiple pylons and complains how every race is fixed. Less and less of these guys come to the track because of this. I heard a guy yesterday claim that a horse was stiffed in a 500K race at Yonkers. The more that the pylon rule can be black and white the better it is for the sport. Think about football for a moment. We all know what offsides looks like but pass interference gets us up in arms half the time. The less subjective the better.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick View Post
The problem with your argument is that Bongiorno was also inside pylons up the backstretch AFTER Marshall had fallen out of the race. Also, after the half when Bongiorno completely cut the turn I did not see any evidence of Marshall forcing him in. Just having a guy parked out next to you does not mean you can go inside multiple pylons because you feel crowded. This horse clearly did not run a mile. As far as the outcome of the race this is just subjectivity on your part.
Did they disqualify the horse? Maybe the judges saw what I saw and not what you saw. Because they have the advantage of viewing the race from various angles, I'll take their word for it over yours.

Like it or not, the judges have the authority to take the question of outcome into consideration, subjective or not.

Any chance you bet the race? Because that could affect your objectivity.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
Stick

I did not bet the race. I looked up the replay after this was posted. Lets face some facts. The horse did go inside multiple pylons. The horse did go inside pylons after Marshall faded. Stewards do make poor rulings. If you can't see that your blind. My argument is not with this particular race. It is that there is no pylon rule. Its all a judgment call. They are all over the place with this rule. That is bad for racing because people think the rule is being manipulated. The last thing you want in horse racing is anything that lends itself into looking corrupt.

Last edited by Stick; 09-03-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:28 AM   #10
DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick View Post
The last thing you want in horse racing is anything that lends itself into looking corrupt.
And taking down a 1-2 shot for a chickenshit reason wouldn't look corrupt.

Right.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #11
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB View Post
And taking down a 1-2 shot for a chickenshit reason wouldn't look corrupt.

Right.
Jerry Rice would have a touchdown reversed for stepping out of bounds with a toe and Tom Seaver would be called for a balk that lets in a winning run in real sports.

Those are sports where people don't stay away because they think its crooked.

I'm not sure what the bigger problem in harness racing is: 1) People who think every race is fixed; 2) Pollyannas who make excuses for all of its obvious failings.

Let's call it a tie.

Rules were clearly broken. The judges obviously saw it. The judges did nothing. End of story.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #12
DSB

Quote:
Rules were clearly broken.
Apparently not.
Quote:
The judges obviously saw it.
Apparently what they saw didn't warrant disqualification.
Quote:
The judges did nothing.
What should they have done if they didn't feel anything was warranted?
Quote:
End of story.
Finally, something we can agree on. I'm finished here.

NO DISQUALIFICATION
Old 09-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #13
DSB

One post script:

There is one way to get the skinny on what happened in the Torrid Bromac race - ask the judges. That's what I did and this is what they told me:

The reason there was no Dq is because no rule was broken. The USTA has recently adopted new pylon rules. According to those new rules, no infraction took place.

The new rules are a bit complicated, but here's what I recall they said:

A horse can go inside 2 consecutive pylons without penalty. If they go inside 3 consecutive, they are Dq'd and placed last.

If a horse goes inside 2 consecutive pylons and is lapped on at the finish, he is placed behind the lapped on horse(s).

They agreed that TB was crowded but that did not enter into their decision.

That's what happened. The reason the winner wasn't taken down was because he didn't break any rules.

Perhaps I'm not owed an apology, but the judges at Freehold certainly are.

Maybe this thread should be taken down. It's an unnecessary disparagement of Freehold Raceway and its judges.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #14
caper

I have no problem with leaving him up. The horse won easily. The tiny advantage did not at all change the outcome of the race.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #15
Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB View Post
One post script:

There is one way to get the skinny on what happened in the Torrid Bromac race - ask the judges. That's what I did and this is what they told me:

The reason there was no Dq is because no rule was broken. The USTA has recently adopted new pylon rules. According to those new rules, no infraction took place.

The new rules are a bit complicated, but here's what I recall they said:

A horse can go inside 2 consecutive pylons without penalty. If they go inside 3 consecutive, they are Dq'd and placed last.

If a horse goes inside 2 consecutive pylons and is lapped on at the finish, he is placed behind the lapped on horse(s).

They agreed that TB was crowded but that did not enter into their decision.

That's what happened. The reason the winner wasn't taken down was because he didn't break any rules.

Perhaps I'm not owed an apology, but the judges at Freehold certainly are.

Maybe this thread should be taken down. It's an unnecessary disparagement of Freehold Raceway and its judges.
Lets think about this moronic rule for a second. I guy on the lead can have both wheels of his bike instead two, but not three pylons and stay up if he is not lapped on. In fact, he can cut across part of the infield ( maybe the grass) if he can get back in time before the third pylon. A horse stuck on the rail in the lane can go completely inside the last two pylons before the finish as long as he can get far enough ahead that he is not lapped on. Meanwhile, at Mohawk, if one wheel goes completely inside the pylon while looking for room up the inside in the lane he is a DQ. I think an apology is owed to the bettors who have no idea from race to race and track to track when pylon violations will go for or against them.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: