Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
nijinski

Beholder Booked To Uncle Mo !

Coolmore has announced on their website the retirement of the champion mare .
The heading reads that she will have her first booking with Uncle Mo !

I'm happy to see her retire in good health and and a great finish to her career .
Also thrilled to see this mating . Uncle Mo is doing very well in the shed and I wish all the connections the best of luck !

Gonna miss Beholder but wish her good health and lots of love and treats !
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
Coolmore has announced on their website the retirement of the champion mare .
The heading reads that she will have her first booking with Uncle Mo !

I'm happy to see her retire in good health and and a great finish to her career .
Also thrilled to see this mating . Uncle Mo is doing very well in the shed and I wish all the connections the best of luck !

Gonna miss Beholder but wish her good health and lots of love and treats !
Same here.
She was a great racemare and I hope she also proves to be a great broodmare.

Last edited by bobphilo; 11-09-2016 at 06:18 PM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
KennyG1

I actually don't like this match up.

Uncle Mo's success with his first crop of two year olds was legendary. But where are his two year olds this year? And where have all his top two year olds of last year been over the past few months? Doesn't that have to give you pause about 1) how Uncle Mo's mature from 2 to 3 to 4 (considering Uncle Mo's own career), and 2) was Uncle Mo's first crop just incredibly lucky?

If I'm Spendthrift, why take the risk with Beholder's first baby?

If the plan is to sell the foal at auction, it'll be a yearling in 2019. By then we'll have a much better idea about Uncle Mo as a stallion, and I don't see him being as popular then as he is right now. Plus, the market will be absolutely flooded with Uncle Mo babies.

If the plan is to race the foal, why not choose a more established stallion? Spendthrift even stands Malibu Moon. Why not wait a year to get a better idea of where Uncle Mo really stands as a stallion? He'll still be around next year.
KennyG1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
CincyHorseplayer

That baby should at the very least be ultra precocious. With Mo's ability for that proving out right now I don't see his popularity waning.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG1

Uncle Mo's success with his first crop of two year olds was legendary. But where are his two year olds this year? And where have all his top two year olds of last year been over the past few months? Doesn't that have to give you pause about 1) how Uncle Mo's mature from 2 to 3 to 4 (considering Uncle Mo's own career), and 2) was Uncle Mo's first crop just incredibly lucky?

If the plan is to sell the foal at auction, it'll be a yearling in 2019. By then we'll have a much better idea about Uncle Mo as a stallion, and I don't see him being as popular then as he is right now. Plus, the market will be absolutely flooded with Uncle Mo babies.

I'm not sure i would write off an elite race horse that has had such success with his 1st crop because of one less successful crop.

There was no genetic reason why Uncle Mo did not follow up his juvenile success as a 3YO on the track. He was found to have a serious liver condition.

If the plan is to race the foal, why not choose a more established stallion? Spendthrift even stands Malibu Moon. Why not wait a year to get a better idea of where Uncle Mo really stands as a stallion? He'll still be around next year.
If everyone waited for sires to become established over many crops no sires would ever get the chance to become established no matter how good they are.

I would not write off such an elite racehorse who did so well with his first crop because some of this one crop has not matched their 2YO successes.

There was no genetic reason why Uncle Mo's 3YO career did not match his 2YO one. He developed a serious liver condition.

Last edited by bobphilo; 11-10-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
KennyG1

I am not writing off Uncle Mo as a quality stallion. I just don't think we quite know at this stage how quality of a stallion he is. For example, Birdstone sired two classic winners in his first year at stud, but since then he hasn't come close to replicating that success.

In my opinion, when you're selling the foal of a grade 2/3 winner, a new, hot sire may bring the foal more attention in the marketplace. When you're selling the foal of a hall of famer mare, a trendy sire is less necessary because the attention is already on the foal.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
bobphilo

Quote:
I am not writing off Uncle Mo as a quality stallion. I just don't think we quite know at this stage how quality of a stallion he is. For example, Birdstone sired two classic winners in his first year at stud, but since then he hasn't come close to replicating that success.

In my opinion, when you're selling the foal of a grade 2/3 winner, a new, hot sire may bring the foal more attention in the marketplace. When you're selling the foal of a hall of famer mare, a trendy sire is less necessary because the attention is already on the foal.
By that criteria people should have avoided stallions like Man O' War, Storm Cat and A.P. Indy until they were established sires, but then they never would have been established sires because people were avoiding them.

Smart breeders also look at the whole picture including performance on the track, combination of characteristics and compatible pedigrees. That's why the above mentioned stallions became great sires.

It also makes good business sense. Buyers will be drooling over a foal by Uncle Mo, if only for their precocity, and Beholder with her lasting quality through the years. A dynamite combination.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #8
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I know their is actual science to matching bloodlines, but isn't Medaglia Doro the same price?

I think I might have gone there
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #9
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I know their is actual science to matching bloodlines, but isn't Medaglia Doro the same price?

I don't think they're shopping for price with a quality mare like Beholder.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #10
nijinski

Quote:

It interests me that they chose a sire who's void of Mr Prospector and I believe Storm Cat in his pedigree .
I'm sure a lot of planning went into who would be her first cover and Mo has certainly shown he can sire stakes winners and first time out winners .
He also had a few who have done quite nicely on grass .
Got to see him with some of the boys here at a JCGC get together so I'm
Super excited for him ! His recovery from illness makes it that much better too .
Old 11-14-2016, 12:01 AM   #11
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
It interests me that they chose a sire who's void of Mr Prospector and I believe Storm Cat in his pedigree .
I'm sure a lot of planning went into who would be her first cover and Mo has certainly shown he can sire stakes winners and first time out winners .
He also had a few who have done quite nicely on grass .
Got to see him with some of the boys here at a JCGC get together so I'm
Super excited for him ! His recovery from illness makes it that much better too .
Mr. Prospector YES....better to Curlin...I'd like to see her bred to the grey Tapit.....how about Kitten's Joy to bring some turf breeding into it...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2016, 04:04 AM   #12
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
Mr. Prospector YES....better to Curlin...I'd like to see her bred to the grey Tapit.....how about Kitten's Joy to bring some turf breeding into it...?
Both Curlin and Tapit have Mr Prospector as does Beholder .
There has been talk regarding over saturation of his bloodline so some
speculate Uncle Mo will be an ideal match for thse lines in mares . Mr Prospector and I've read Seattle Slew line to.
I'm sure Beholder"s camp has good reason to choose him over the other well established sires at this time . they are I'm sure well aware there is no Mr
Prospector or Storm Cat present on the sire side . The results down the road will be interesting and watched closely I believe .
Old 11-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #13
KennyG1

http://www.drf.com/news/mo-mentum-stalled-temporarily

I had previously questioned whether Uncle Mo was a top level stallion or just lucky his first year. This paragraph in the article was a pretty good rebuttal:

"Results such as these are not an uncommon phenomenon for young stallions. New stallions often attract outstanding books of mares in their first season at stud, as farms and owners work to establish them with a strong foothold, but may experience a dip in quality in their second or third seasons, until their runners hit the track and the longer-term course of their careers is established."
Old 11-28-2016, 08:19 PM   #14
Broad Brush

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph

I think Medaglia d'Oro should have two stud fees:

If the foal is a filly: $150,000

If the foal is a colt: $10,000.
Broad Brush is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2016, 11:46 PM   #15
caper

I have a question for the breeding enthusiasts. I'm a standardbred guy that loves that aspect, but don't know much about thoroughbreds.

What are some of the wild card studs you would like to see her bred to?

I often found there were always great value stallions that just never got great mares. Some not even very good racehorses.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply